blew my cap up!

Options
upyourkilt
upyourkilt Posts: 7
edited November 2005 in Troubleshooting
Just removed the crossover out of my RT800 and found the capacitor blewn right apart. Can anyone recommend a replacement and were to buy?
8mfd 50vdc
Post edited by upyourkilt on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,864
    edited November 2005
    Options
    This is about the same type and quality as your stock cap.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=027-338
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• upyourkilt
    edited November 2005
    Options
    thanks F1nut but I would prefer to put a higher quality cappy in than the stock. What is the difference between 8mfd and 8uf? Anything....or did I just make myself sound foolish and proving it by writing this.
  • F1nut
    edited November 2005
    Options
    It will do no good to only replace one cap with a higher quality one. In fact, doing so will cause an unbalanced sound between the left and right speakers. If you want to upgrade the caps, do all of them in both speakers and any resistors you have in there as well. You can get a copy of the schematic mailed to you by asking Polk very nicely.

You will find better caps listed on the same site and there is no difference between mFD and uF.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited November 2005
    Options
    BTW, it would be a good idea for you to know why that cap blew before doing anything else.

President of Club Polk

• upyourkilt
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I tested all the resistors and can't find any problems. I do have a bad voice coil on my tweeter. Any other recomendations on what problems to look for. I am also going to contact Polk regarding the schematics for the crossover. I'm quite surprised that they would give up that info.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,126
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Make sure you replace the resistors as well --

Most use Mills....

Dayton caps are a good, cheap choice and are right there with Solen, matched in specs with 5% of tolerance.

Dayton Caps -

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=69

Solen Caps -

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=71

Mill Resistors -

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=110
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • upyourkilt
    edited November 2005
    Options
    thank you Tyler, I replaced just the cap that was blown for now to see if it works. Yes, all is well. I enjoyed this project so much that I plan on replacing all the caps and resistors for every speaker. Gotta love parts express! BTW I enjoyed your website-keep up the good work.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Sid Tyler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got to smile on that one.

RT1
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,126
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Im missing the connection...

My "real name" is Trey. Not Tyler. Beatches.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • upyourkilt
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Sorry, about the name mix-up. Didn't mean to misguide the flock of sheep, eh reeltrouble!!! Thanxs for the smile!!