please help...

haroo
haroo Posts: 83
as some o you know i have a sr18-ex marantz...
well the upgrade bug hit me today and i need help,
i got a sacd(sony/scd-xe670) and a new dvd (toshiba sd-4700 progressive scan) how the hell do i hook them up to this marantz?!?!?! i just got my old stuff figered out . please help.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
--MARANTZ SR18ex 140wpc x 5 (high current/direct amp)thx-ex "ultra"
electrohome tube amp 15watt. pr channel(aprox.1955a.d.) for 2 channel audio{recently recapped& tubed-5ar4power rect. & 12au7)
-kenwood amp(km-996/140wpc(used for 7.1 rears(thx ex)
-toshiba dvd video/audio player(progressive scan) sd-4700
-sony sacd cd player scd-xe670
-nakamichi "music bank cd player "6+1disk(20bit dac)
-toshiba hifi vcr (v3 pro head)
-motorola digital cable box
-RCA 32' "home theater" PIP tv
-polk RT800i x 2 (mains) ~bi-wired
-polk sc400i x 1 (center) ~bi-wired
-polk fx300i x 2 (side fx) ~di-pole
-polk r10 x 2 (rears)
-polk pws250 (powered sub)
-2x173ltr(48"-16")sono subs(powered by kenwood kr-7200 250watt & w/ audiosource EQ (model eq eight/series II)
-Thorens td-166 mk II/Grado silver fs1
-Thorens td-160/empire 66cart
-Dual 601
-D.I.Y. carfea "little big horns"-(pioneer full range 8" & fostex 4" compression horn tweaters
-sony (ps1)
-sony (ps2)

-haroo, "GOD gave you the gift of sound, Your gift to God is what you do with it!"
"marantz haroo"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post edited by haroo on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited July 2002
    I know that you'll need to use a 5.1 analog input on the receiver for the SACD player (probably says "Direct IN" on the Marantz). Does that DVD player have DVD-Audio capability? If so, then you really need TWO multi-channel analog inputs on the receiver. Other than that, make an digital audio connection from the DVD player to the receiver. Run the video from the DVD player (component, S-video, or composite; Whichever your TV will accept) through the receiver if you wish to use it for video switching. Otherwise you can just take the video signal to your TV--- Basically the same hookup as your previous DVD player.

Don't know if that helps. I am not familiar with that equipment, so what I said above just covers the basics.

Jason
  • haroo
    haroo Posts: 83
    edited July 2002
    yes it has dvd audio , how do i tell if the marantz has 2 multi-channel analog inputs ? this marantz is really complex compaired to my old nakamichi...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    --MARANTZ SR18ex 140wpc x 5 (high current/direct amp)thx-ex "ultra"
    electrohome tube amp 15watt. pr channel(aprox.1955a.d.) for 2 channel audio{recently recapped& tubed-5ar4power rect. & 12au7)
    -kenwood amp(km-996/140wpc(used for 7.1 rears(thx ex)
    -toshiba dvd video/audio player(progressive scan) sd-4700
    -sony sacd cd player scd-xe670
    -nakamichi "music bank cd player "6+1disk(20bit dac)
    -toshiba hifi vcr (v3 pro head)
    -motorola digital cable box
    -RCA 32' "home theater" PIP tv
    -polk RT800i x 2 (mains) ~bi-wired
    -polk sc400i x 1 (center) ~bi-wired
    -polk fx300i x 2 (side fx) ~di-pole
    -polk r10 x 2 (rears)
    -polk pws250 (powered sub)
    -2x173ltr(48"-16")sono subs(powered by kenwood kr-7200 250watt & w/ audiosource EQ (model eq eight/series II)
    -Thorens td-166 mk II/Grado silver fs1
    -Thorens td-160/empire 66cart
    -Dual 601
    -D.I.Y. carfea "little big horns"-(pioneer full range 8" & fostex 4" compression horn tweaters
    -sony (ps1)
    -sony (ps2)

-haroo, "GOD gave you the gift of sound, Your gift to God is what you do with it!"
    "marantz haroo"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited July 2002
    As I said, I'm not really familiar with it. The SR14EX only has one multi-channel analog input. Perhaps Mantis will see this, as he probably has hands-on experience with this receiver and can probably be of more help.

On the back panel, the multi-channel input(s) will (I think) say "Direct IN", and there will be jacks for front left and right, center, left and right surround, and subwoofer (for a total of six jacks).

Jason