RT35i -----> RT1000i ???

brianlewis
brianlewis Posts: 12
edited July 2002 in Speakers
I am considering an upgrade from my current front stage RT35i pair, to a pair of RT1000i. Any particular reason I should 'NOT' make this choice? I will then move my RT35i to be used as my surround speakers.
Dmantis20 (Mantis) uses them himself, and states he likes them over the RT35i and RT55i
I run a CS245i currently for the center.
Brian Lewis
Post edited by brianlewis on

Comments

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited July 2002
    Buy the RT800i instead of the RT1000i.
    Tizz better to have two mid-range drivers than one.
    The external sub can handle the deep bass.
    RT800i sounds superior to RT1000i - especially with
    an external PSW650.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2002
    I'm with Ron on this one. I essentially view the RT1000i as a RT600 with a built in 6.5 driver powered by a 35watt plate amp.....I'm not saying it's bad, but I wouldn't buy them. I might pick up a pair if some **** ganks my Pioneers in the garage rig.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2002
    As a fan, and former owner of 800's, I gotta agree with the posts so far. You will get more of a punch from using a seperate sub all together, unless space is a concern, then the 1000's may be a viable option for you. Even then, I would g'head and push up to the 2000, and get some real air moving, if you catch my drift....

I say go 800's (or 70's), heck, at least you can ACTUALLY bi-wire them..... ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    edited July 2002
    I have recently gone through the same process and finally upgarded to RTi70(formerly RT800i) from RT35i.
    I did A/B comparison at CC demo room and found RTi70 to be much better, specialy in the lower midrange portion. When mated with a good sub, they will sound much better then the RTi100
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2002
    how do the RTi70's compare in price to the RT800i's? I tried both the RT1000i's and kept the 800i's. At the time I demoed the 1000i's. it was to much bass when added with a sub. now of course i wish i had the 1000i's instead of the 800i's. but to late now. go for more bass.. instead of less bass.. feels like my 800i's bottom out fairly early. I do like the clarity and openness of the 800i's. espcially when bi-wired. oh yeah baby.

good luck
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited July 2002
    Danger, I take it you aren't running a sub then?
  • brianlewis
    edited July 2002
    Originally posted by izafar
    I have recently gone through the same process and finally upgarded to RTi70(formerly RT800i) from RT35i.
    I did A/B comparison at CC demo room and found RTi70 to be much better, specialy in the lower midrange portion. When mated with a good sub, they will sound much better then the RTi100

But my understanding is the RT70i have a different tweeter, so they are not timbered to the other RC245i and RT35i's, which would make the sound different out of the speakers and cause it to sound wacked out right??
    Brian Lewis
  • brianlewis
    edited July 2002
    You guys are right, looking at the whole line, trying to keep something timber matched to my RT35i and CS245i, I am going to get a pair of RC800i for the front. My plan is to get the PSW650 sub in the near future anyways. The RT1000 and 2000 only give me more bass, they don't add midrange, so the RT800i is the logical choice!
    Brian Lewis
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2002
    Disclaimer: This is simply my opinion, please do not accept it as fact.

Timber (or 'timbre') Shmimber, in a double-blind test, I doubt most could even tell a difference, and if it was there (to your ears), it would be very subtle at best. (800, vs 800i, vs 70)

These tweeters, even in the new RT line, are very, very close. I think timber is important, but it has also become an over-used term since the birth of the HT craze.

If you want truely seemless, timber matched home theater, ALL of your speakers should be identical. Eg: 5 rt800's, 5 r40's, 5 klh bookshelves, whatever. .

I think the 800i's are a great choice, but I wouldn't loose any sleep over buying the 800 (non-i), or the new 70 model either...

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited July 2002
    Once again......I must agree with the Mousekateer.......
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited July 2002
    I will add a bit to the post for a different ppoint of view.
    When I bought my rt1000p's a long time ago,I demo'd them against the rt800's for hours.Really I wanted the rt16's but they where disco.

I thought the rt1000p's when setup correctly sounded more detailed and cleaner in the midrange and highs.The 2 speakers sound different.Low extention naturally went to the rt1000p's.I liked it all the way around.Iwas disappointed inj the rt800's as I thought they would be coming home with me,Instead of the rt1000p's.

Now hears the kicker.They are hard to setup.The woofer is tempermental.Given level setting, they can boom or overpower the rest of the speaker making them soun like a powered tower.
    My goal was to make the boom and forced sound go away.I did just that.

Now I did demo the rti70's.Personally...........i think they are the best of the bunch,If they where out then,I would have picked them up.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • brianlewis
    edited July 2002
    So mainly I want to know that this setup below will not make me want to go UPGRADE anytime soon:

Polk RT800i front
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT35 Surround
    Polk PSW650 or SVS-20-39PCi (haven't decided on sub yet)

I can get the RT800i for $450/pair, where the RTi70 are $550/pair
    Brian Lewis
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2002
    Originally posted by OrangeToupee
    Danger, I take it you aren't running a sub then?

Orange,
    I am running a sub.. it's a small PSW350 i want something bigger now. when i tested the RT1000i's i had the sub too.. but in my small room.. it was to much to handle. hindsight is always 20/20. no i'm sure the bass would be just about right. I think our/my tastes in bass, treble.. etc change over time and with moods :lol:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • brianlewis
    edited July 2002
    Thanks a bunch guys!! I just bought a new pair of RT800i for $450 out the door from a local guy here in Los Angeles (email WOSILVER@aol.com if you are interested)
    Also picked up a pair of Atrium 55 for the outside patio, and two pairs of RC80i In Ceiling speakers for my Game room and Office ceilings
    I plan to move my RT35 to the side surrounds and buy an SVS 20-39PCi for the sub.
    Brian Lewis