Basic surround hookup w/o subwoofer

burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
A week ago I bought a DD receiver to replace my failed Onkyo stereo receiver. Yesterday, I bought a center channel speaker (right here on these boards). I do not have a subwoofer and won't for the foreseeable future.

So, I've got a DVD player hooked into a DD receiver (digital connection). I have Monitor 7s for the mains, the 'new' center, and potentially a choice of speakers for the surrounds.. either a pair of M2s or a pair of Monitor 5jr+. There are advantages and disadvantages for us in using either pair for the surrounds.

Given that there are supposedly no stupid questions... when I'm playing a DD DVD, without a subwoofer, will the audio I get through my speaker set-up still be DD with the LFE channel fed to the mains? Or will it be, by default, Pro Logic (since the system knows there is no sub)? In other words, without a sub, am I tied to Pro Logic?

If the audio will be DD, then wouldn't there be a sonic advantage to using the 5jr+ as surrounds over the M2s? If I'm tied to Pro Logic, then I'd think the M2s would serve fine as the surrounds...

If the audio will be DD, then this next question is moot.. but if I'm tied to Pro Logic... what are the ramifications of using only one surround speaker, in the back of the room, if for some reason I can't free up either both M2s or both 5jr+? Obviously I realize that there wouldn't be a surround speaker on each side of the room to "surround" the listener - this question gets more at how the signal is processed, would I have to turn the single surround up to compensate, etc.

I'm done spending money right now (new receiver, new center), so I'm trying to figure out how best to use what I have.

Thanks.
Post edited by burdette on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2002
    Set your mains to 'Large' and your sub to 'none' or 'off' and let 'er rip.

As far as the surrounds, if you can't use 2, well, I dunno how that would work out. In that case, I'd just listen in good old 2 channel stereo.

Just my opinions.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2002
    when I'm playing a DD DVD, without a subwoofer, will the audio I get through my speaker set-up still be DD with the LFE channel fed to the mains?

Yes, Only if when u setup on your new reciever set subwoofer (LFE) to no (off). Then your mains will pick up the LFE if they are set to large. :cool:
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited July 2002
    First of all, am I crazy.. there *was* an M2, wasn't there? I didn't recheck the number last night, but I need a new wall-mounting bracket and can't find "M2" listed in the vintage library. It has a 5.25" woofer and a 1/2" (or is it 3/4"?) polycarbonate tweeter. I remember checking once before and I'm sure (?) they aren't M3s.

I *can* use two.. and probably will (knowing me), I'll just have to rearrange the rest of the house. I have one M2 in the kitchen for music, which gets a lot of use. The 5Jr+ are in the adjacent family room for music and the occasional movie (just louder/better stereo from a HiFi VCR on a small TV). Using both 5jr+ as surrounds means the kitchen can keep its music, but the family room switches over to a single M2 also. That is most likely what I'll do... but it'll be hard placing the 5s ...

Thanks for the reply.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2002
    Call Polk direct, I'm sure they will have the bracket....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut