BiWired

izafar
izafar Posts: 814
edited July 2002 in Speakers
When I changed my mains from RT35is to RTi70s previous weekend, I got more filler sound and a bit more refined higher end. I was running them with 12 gauge speaker cable that I baght from HomeDepot. This friday night I was at CC to upgrade my CS245i, I decided to buy Monster Cable speaker wire. I got 40 feet length and made myself a pair of cables 10 feet each for biwiring. After installing the cable I watched "The bodygaurd" (the movie my wife actualy wanted to see). Even in the movie soundtrack I felt that there is some difference. I was getting much more response in the highend, and was anxious to listen to some of my favorites CDs, but It was already late and I had to postpone that to next day.

Next day I started listening to my favourite CDs and was really amazed to hear the difference in sound. The soundstage seemed realy opened up and I can difinetely notice some more air around instruments (specially in the higher end). This is way much more than I was expecting. Even my wife noticed improvment in the sound (though the other day she was arguing about the purchase of new wire). I am now really hapy with RTi70s and would say that any one who owns them, should try biwiring them, it really makes a difference (atleast it did for me).

The only minor issue is that the biwiring has made my RTi70 somewhat brighter than before. Is this due to the use of Monster Cable?.
-izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
Post edited by izafar on

Comments

• STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited July 2002
    YEP, BI WIREING ROCKS DOESN'T IT...........
    PEACE, STUFF MD.
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited July 2002
    BY THE WAY, BOTH HAD EFFECT ON THE BRIGHTNESS OF MY SPEAKER, DID THE WIRE FIRST, THEN THE BI-WIREING, BOTH MADE THE SPEAKERS BRIGHTER ON THE HIGHS, BUT I HAVE THE 800I'S SO IT WAS MUCH DESIRED.
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited July 2002
    Congrads on the rti70's, there nice speakers.I like em.
    I perfer Bi wiring myself.The sound quality really makes the difference.
    The brightness you hear could be the fact that your old wire might have hindered the top end.Now the new wire is letting them shine.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited July 2002
    izafar,

What reciever are you using? And which Monster cable did you buy. Was it the XP? or the thick stuff? I've been bordering on biwireing my RTi70's, but after reading your post, I think I'll go ahead and do it a soon as possible.
  • stef_000us
    stef_000us Posts: 29
    edited July 2002
    Originally posted by izafar
    The only minor issue is that the biwiring has made my RTi70 somewhat brighter than before. Is this due to the use of Monster Cable?.

I got the same kind of result when I biwired the 70's using AR Pro guage 12. I would suspect this is a result of biwiring more that the cabling itself.

I was not sure neither about biwiring them. Listening to the sound, I would not got back. To my ears, I prefer the sound of it and it is definitely more clear. As a side note, that's another reason why I am lucking to replace my csi30 with a csi40. csi40 can be biwired, csi30 cannot. It biwiring csi40 produce the same result as biwiring the rti70, this should be a great improvement.

Stef
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    edited July 2002
    Now I am wodereing that if a good speaker cable improves the sound then how much would be the effect of using good interconnects. Right now I am using either stock cables or cables baught from RadioShack. After this experince I am pretty much tempted on all around cable upgrade. My Current cables are:

RadioShack optical cable
    Philips Magnavox component Video Cable
    RadioShack gold subwoofer cable
    Stock RCA cable (from CD Player to Reciever)
    Stock RCA Cable (from cassete deck to Reciever)
    RadioShack Cable (from Cable Box to reciver)

Which of the above should go first. I am inclining towards putting my existing optical cable between the CD palyer and rteciever and using a COAX for the DVD Player hookup to the reciever.

GuitarheadCA:
    I am using Denon AVR2802 and the cable that I baught is Monster XPHP.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2002
    Now I am wodereing that if a good speaker cable improves the sound then how much would be the effect of using good interconnects.
    Interconnects make a big difference, too. Some people say even more so than speaker wire. Remember, they're upstream from your speakers and speaker wire, so their increased performance carries through the rest of the system. Also, interconnects carry a low power signal that is more susceptable to interference than speaker wire. The biggest place I noticed a difference was with the interconnects for my CD player and my subwoofer. These are the three I would upgrade (in order):

1. RadioShack gold subwoofer cable -- I highly recommend MIT Terminator 6 cables for this. They're inexpensive and killer.

2. Stock RCA cable (from CD Player to Reciever) -- Check out Signal Cable for these. They come highly recommended from other forum members and can be had for the bargain-basement price of $30!

3. RadioShack optical cable -- try a coax digital cable instead of optical, preferably a good one.
    Which of the above should go first. I am inclining towards putting my existing optical cable between the CD palyer and rteciever and using a COAX for the DVD Player hookup to the reciever.
    Coax digital is the way to go for the DVD player. With the CD player, I would try both the optical and analog. I think you might find that the analog outputs will sound better.

Aaron
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited July 2002
    izafar,

I agree with Aaron concerning interconnects, but I would go with the MIT 330 Series Two between the CD & receiver. Cost is about $300-350.00, but you'll know where the money went. Those suckers are impedence matched....sweet! Don't waste money on the cassete deck unless it's a Dragon.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2002
    I agree with Aaron concerning interconnects, but I would go with the MIT 330 Series Two between the CD & receiver. Cost is about $300-350.00, but you'll know where the money went.
    I have a pair of MI-330 series I interconnects, and they are quite good. However, given izafar's system, dropping $350 on a pair of interconnects is just a waste of money. That money would be better spent on some equipment like a nice CD player or money towards an external amplifier.

Aaron
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited July 2002
    Yeah, you're right Aaron. I didn't really consider that factor....glad somebody's on the ball around here!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk