subwoofer and TV

bugner
bugner Posts: 56
OK, I splurged and got a 36-inch Sony. Love it to death. But the sound from the TV speakers is a bit tinny. I have a two-channel setup, Onkyo receiver, with the PSW 450 as a sub. I can use that for "important" audio stuff like DVDs, but I wanted better regular TV sound. Soooooooooo..........the sub is set up with speaker-level connections, and I added a line-level cable also from audio out on the TV. All seems to work, but is it OK to have two separate audio inputs going into the 450?
Post edited by bugner on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2002
    I'm confused as to what you have done here... Do you have audio left and right from your cable box to your TV then RCA from TV to the Sub? If yes there is a good chance for a ground loop here and if you detect a humm then disconnect it.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited July 2002
    OK I get what you did.It's a first that I have ever seen anyone run line level to a sub from a TV.Crazy stuff man.

Id go one step further and connect the tv's line level output directly to preamp/receiver you use.Unless you have a sat receiver or a cable box with L+R outputs, this could be the best way to enjoy better sound then your internal tv speakers.

Back to the line level straight to the sub.......curious.....how do you set the volume level on the sub?I assume you'd had to change it as per what your running it with...meaning the tv and the audio system.
    If you owned a ReL subwoofer,you could do your setup and set independent volume levels for each input.The psw450 can not do this.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • bugner
    edited July 2002
    Yeh, I guess I didn't state it too clearly at first. I left the sub at the same settings I had been using but turned the level of bass output from the TV with the remote.
  • bugner
    edited July 2002
    And just to clarify further, hopefully. No cable box. What I have is coaxial into the VCR, then into the VHF in on the TV. RCA's going out of the VCR into the receiver. (DVD bypasses TV sound altogether). Then RCAs going from audio out on the TV to the line-level inputs on the sub.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2002
    This is what I would do:

1) run the coax cable directly into the TV. Then run the RCA audio outputs from the TV into the "TV" inputs on the receiver

2) run the RCA audio outputs of the VCR into the "VCR" audio inputs on the receiver. Then run the composite video output of the VCR into the TV.

Aaron
  • bugner
    edited July 2002
    k, I'll give it a whirl.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2002
    i did that once befor i had a recever with lfe out this is how i had it i went with rca outs of the tv to sub and from the sub to my recever and i ran my dvd to my tv both auido and video but my tv you can control the rca level out with the tv volune