running without SDA interconnect

Options
2»

Comments

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited September 2005
    Options
    :confused: Sorry th@cox, you really just don't get it. Upgrading tweeters, binding posts, and crossovers isn't the same as defeating the SDA feature of the SDA speakers. One is improving the SDA speaker and the other is eliminating the SDA speaker.

Once again, that's just plain SDA blasphemy. It would make a practitioner of such SDA butchery :eek: an SDA Criminal.

Financial loss? One could sell the big SDAs to someone who will appreciate them and use them for their intended purpose and be out no money. :D

Concerns about problems using certain amps with SDAs? :confused: Research the facts and ask the questions before you buy the amps or the speakers. Not after the fact, then butcher the SDAs. :mad:

Your thought process on this subject shows us an SDA loyalist you certainly aren't!
  • autoconsortium
    autoconsortium Posts: 64
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Apparently you cannot use the newer A1 interconnect with my 'old' SDA SRS speakers, with the pin/pin cable. My speakers were built in 1985, they are prior to the serial number listed as a possible upgrade to the newer interconnect SDA cable. I was doing blind tests with my amp last night, everything hooked up properly...(an old Adcom 555 with common ground, of course...the two mono Bryston's still aren't here) and I have to say I didn't like the fake reverberation from the SDA effect. Without the cable they sounded much quieter, quicker bass, more like a studio recording effect. With the cable attached they sounded like they had a graphic eq hooked up or one of those surround processor thingy's hooked up. I just dont' know...personally, I didn't like it...I must be crazy???? I will likely get kicked off this list for blasphemy...or, I'm just not hearing things right. What am I NOT hearing...or vice versa???
    Alex Cagann

Polk SDA SRS
    Lexicon DC-1 preamp
    (2) Lexicon 501 monoblock amps
    Parasound CD Transport 1000
    Parasound DAC1000
    Nakamichi Dragon
    Nakamichi RX505
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Play with the placement of the speakers. Sometimes it is tricky to find the sweet spot. From the picture of other thread, your speakers are too close to the side wall. Move them further away from the side wall. Also, no toe-in.

-fredv-
  • BobMcG
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Apparently you cannot use the newer A1 interconnect with my 'old' SDA SRS speakers, with the pin/pin cable. My speakers were built in 1985, they are prior to the serial number listed as a possible upgrade to the newer interconnect SDA cable. I was doing blind tests with my amp last night, everything hooked up properly...(an old Adcom 555 with common ground, of course...the two mono Bryston's still aren't here) and I have to say I didn't like the fake reverberation from the SDA effect. Without the cable they sounded much quieter, quicker bass, more like a studio recording effect. With the cable attached they sounded like they had a graphic eq hooked up or one of those surround processor thingy's hooked up. I just dont' know...personally, I didn't like it...I must be crazy???? I will likely get kicked off this list for blasphemy...or, I'm just not hearing things right. What am I NOT hearing...or vice versa???

That's older blade/blade not pin/pin. There is no such animal.

I'm sure there are some that aren't fans of SDA but... Fake reverberation? Quicker bass w/o? Sounded like an EQ was hooked up? What atmosphere are you listening in? :confused: Crazy may be the correct answer. :p

How on earth have you got your listening room/speakers set up???

If I unhook the cable off any of my SDAs (or use POLK's SDA demo switch cable for instant a/b comparisons) they go dead in the ****, especially seeing as how they're square to the front wall. (Read not toed in.)
    It sounds as though they don't have room to breath/operate properly, are otherwise setup improperly or something else is amiss.

Take a listen to a good SDA system and you'll probably change your tune. :)
  • thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited September 2005
    Options
    BobMcG wrote:
    :confused: Sorry th@cox, you really just don't get it. Upgrading tweeters, binding posts, and crossovers isn't the same as defeating the SDA feature of the SDA speakers. One is improving the SDA speaker and the other is eliminating the SDA speaker.

Once again, that's just plain SDA blasphemy. It would make a practitioner of such SDA butchery :eek: an SDA Criminal.

Financial loss? One could sell the big SDAs to someone who will appreciate them and use them for their intended purpose and be out no money. :D

Concerns about problems using certain amps with SDAs? :confused: Research the facts and ask the questions before you buy the amps or the speakers. Not after the fact, then butcher the SDAs. :mad:

Your thought process on this subject shows us an SDA loyalist you certainly aren't!

Bob

I do get it, I have 3 sets of SDA's, SDA-1A, SDA-2's and SRS 1.2's, I def. get it, and I have the cable on all mine. I am giving options and just not telling him that it can't be done, or buy a new speaker...understandibly by not using the cable and taking away the dimensional array isn't what is intended. But he has what he has.....

Scott
  • BobMcG
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Bob

I do get it, I have 3 sets of SDA's, SDA-1A, SDA-2's and SRS 1.2's, I def. get it, and I have the cable on all mine. I am giving options and just not telling him that it can't be done, or buy a new speaker...understandibly by not using the cable and taking away the dimensional array isn't what is intended. But he has what he has.....

Scott

Ok, Ok, the SDA-GODs forgive you.

But they're keeping an eye on you.... ;)
  • thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited September 2005
    Options
    BobMcG wrote:
    Ok, Ok, the SDA-GODs forgive you.

But they're keeping an eye on you.... ;)

I'll ensure that I am good, and polish the wood caps on them weekly, and only put clean power to them.............promise....

I don't get the holography he is getting though. At least not with one set. If you put two sets on a wall, you get a lot of...well another topic, another time..
    scott
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Bob,

Thanks for minding the store while we were all away.......

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2005
    Options
    There are obviously room/setup problems. Fake reverberation? No such thing can be produced by the SDA's.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • ckpiv
    ckpiv Posts: 35
    edited September 2005
    Options
    It sounds like he has a messed up IC cable. When I hooked up my SDA-SRS 2.3 a couple of weeks ago I did not have the original IC cable (my friend forgot to bring it). So I made a temp cable with 14 gauge two wire. However, I accidently reversed the connectors on the two ends (In a hurry to hook them up - stupid me). So what I ended up with was pin to blade hook up and the results were very similar to what autoconsortium has described. I was ready to send the 2.3's back to my friend and stick with my SDA IIB's. After, finally realizing what I did and correcting the situation all I can say is WOW - pure musical heaven. I would suggest this is the area he needs to investigate IMO.
    2 ch rig:
    Parasound Halo A21 amp
    Wyred4Sound DAC2
    Audiophilleo 2
    Dodd Audio Tube Preamp
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Mac Mini + Amarra, Audirvana Plus, Pure Music
    2TB External HD
    PS Audio P3
    Rotel RCD1072 cd player
    Polk SDA-SRS 2.3 Speakers
  • PolkFreak
    PolkFreak Posts: 91
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Well, I haven't read any of the posts yet regarding another one of my loud mouth comments. After posting I remember that I made a mistake on my post and must correct it. I meant to say the the inner stereo drivers do midrange and bass and the SDA drivers do midrange only. WITH the SDA IC on. Well this how I thought it worked anyway. In my last post I incorrectly stated that the stereo drivers did bass only. Another point that I thought was incorrect to think that one driver in a two driver set up is inactive when the SDA IC is off. Or half (inactive) in a setup with more drivers I'm sure that I'll see more on the reason why when I read the rest of the posts. Please don't take my silly comments personal. This was my bad for making the comment that I did.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    edited September 2005
    Options
    PF, you really need to read a white paper entitled "Polk's SDA Speakers - Designed In Stereo" by Matthew Polk and available from Polk if you ask nicely.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PolkFreak
    PolkFreak Posts: 91
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I just thought I'd also add that my points were about the difference in the way the SDA speakers worked with and without the SDA cable. I was not saying anything about weather or not people should use the SDA cable. Although in another thread I mentioned taking the cable off for movies which in retrospect was one of the most stupid things I could have said. Now I remember why I thought to myself I was only going to read and not post in the forums to keep from saying anything stupid. I'll will forever shut my mouth now. Cheers to those who had to put up with my mindless chatter!
    PolkFreak
  • TroyD
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Just don't let it happen again. ;)

BDT
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Good thead,

I owned a pair od SDA-2B's and I liked my rt1000p's at the time better. I didn't like to have the cable connected between the 2 speakers. I tried it both ways and found they sounded better to me unplugged. I toed them in and straight , I ran mine with a B&K st140 amp and a Yamaha rxv992 as a preamp for 2 channel. It could also be the fact I used nothing but Monstercable and that killed my SDA experience.

Personally I dig the passion you guys have for the SDA speakers. I tried to get my vintage polk on with my rt12's but I failed to hold on.Sometimes I would like to hear what you guys hear.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Toeing in anSDA defeats the purpose. They are forgiving but there are a few parameters that must be met.

BDT