Tweeters in RTi70

Options
rhulett
rhulett Posts: 89
edited October 2005 in Troubleshooting
Blew the tweeters out of my RTi70's. Sent an email to Polk customer service. Haven't heard anything back, but have had to send things in before. I pulled what I think is the tweeter, a magnet with foam on the front. But there was still a copper coil and and wire connections. Should this have gone back as well? Didn't see how those would come out. Tried hooking up a tweeter from a rti28 that I have and nothing came out, so I'm wondering if it's the coil thing that is bad.
Rob
Post edited by rhulett on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Those tweeters do come apart. If CS doesn't get back to you, give Ken Swauger a call:

Customer Service:
    polkcs@polkaudio.com
    9am - 6pm, M-F, EST (USA)
    800-377-7655 toll free phone
    410-764-5470 fax
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • rhulett
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Thanks Dennis. Does anyone know if the tweeters in the rti28 are interchangable with the rti70's. Still don't see how to get the copper coil setup off either.
    Rob
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited October 2005
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Hello,
    To remove the tweeter you will take out the eight hex head screws holding the bezel onto the front surface of the cabinet. Use a 9/64th Allen wrench for these. The tweeter will remain attached to the inner surface of the bezel, but you should be able to remove the two tweeter wires from the tweeter's terminals. The faceplate of the tweeter is held in place, on the back of the bezel, by a molded in semi circle of plastic. The trick is to place a slot screwdriver under the tweeter's faceplate against the inner surface of the bezel at the gap provided in the semi circle. Once you have about 1/2" of the screwdriver blade between the faceplate and the bezel surface lift up and twist the screwdriver. The complete tweeter, faceplate, dome, voice coil, should pop away from the bezel. Don't take the replacement tweeter apart, install the complete tweeter onto the bezel once you have received it.
    Regards, Ken
  • rhulett
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Thanks Ken. I sent the magnet in for repair, but didn't realize that the rest was part of the tweeter. Will they send me the complete unit? Also is the tweeter from a rti28 interchangeable with the rti70?
    Rob
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I think they're the same tweeter...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Hello,
    Yes, they will send the complete tweeter back, and yes, they are the same units.
    Ken