Got my HK DVD 50 Last Week...

phuz
phuz Posts: 2,372
edited July 2002 in Electronics
... and I've been testing it out since then. So far so good. Actually, so far things are *really* good.

Price: $349 (open box at CC, in great shape)

MFG Date: July 01

I have played a few movies, many CD's, and a few mp3 disks, and it's been flawless other than a couple of small things mentioned below. I watched Pearl Harbor (directors cut) for the first time last night and the picture and sound were awesome. No problems with the play of the movie. No jitters, no nothing except for a nice clear, smooth picture. Hopefully this unit will continue to perform in this manner.

The only complaints I have so far are the somewhat long waits between switching disks and long wait for MP3 disk reads.

I've ordered the upgrade CD to make sure I have the latest software and firmware, hopefully that will fix the slow seek times.

I'll keep everyone posted if I have any problems, as well as more info once I get my HD set.

I know a few others have this unit, any more comments?
Post edited by phuz on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2002
    Phuz, congrats on the buy! I have also been looking at that model and I'm glad to hear you like it. My cal labs won't do DTS or MP3 so I may follow suit.

Hbombtoo
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • phuz
    edited July 2002
    Originally posted by HBombToo
    Phuz, congrats on the buy! I have also been looking at that model and I'm glad to hear you like it. My cal labs won't do DTS or MP3 so I may follow suit.

Hbombtoo

Be sure to check your local CC and harmanaudio.com. They retail for this unnit is around $599, but you can find it for much cheaper.

Also, it does NOT do DD or DTS decoding. You will have to have a receiver that does the decoding. Other than that, it's awesome!
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2002
    I'm a little confused here... I thought that both the DVD and the AVR had to have the processors for the dts and ddolby decoding. My cal does not do dts and the h/k 520 does but when I try to do DTS when option available on the dvd, it just hangs and won't play anything. 520 and 510 have the same processor capabilities except the 520 does 7 channel so really we have the same unit. I appreciate your help here because I am really confused.

Hbombtoo
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2002
    BTW, I just rechecked on the h/k web site and both the 50 and 25 do dd and dts so maybe I don't understand what you were referring to.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • phuz
    edited July 2002
    Are you using an optical output from your cal?

I really have no idea. All that I know is that most DVD players should be able to send the DTS or DD signal to the receiver via an optical output - so that the receiver can do the decoding.

Maybe the cal just can't read the digital audio? This would be a good thread all by itself. Hopefully someone else can pipe up and explain.
  • phuz
    edited July 2002
    From the HK website:

"The DTS output can be used with receivers or surround sound processors that have DTS decoding. Using the DVD player's on-screen menu system, select the Digital Audio Out menu.
    For the DVD 50, select "Stream/PCM", which will output either a DTS, Dolby® Digital or PCM audio output, depending on which output is being provided by the DVD disc. "

In other words, this unit will send the digital signal to a recevier or another component to do the decoding. The DVD player itself does not decode the signal.

If you have an AVR-520 - go with it, it would be a perfect match.

The problem I think with your current DVD player is that it will only play/transmit PCM audio, not digital signals. So when you try to play/transmit a digital signal it locks up. Just a guess though.

C'mon someone pipe up and correct me if I'm wrong.

HBomb: Can you give me a URL to the specs on your DVD player?
  • phuz
    edited July 2002
    I'm a little confused here... I thought that both the DVD and the AVR had to have the processors for the dts and ddolby decoding. My cal does not do dts and the h/k 520 does but when I try to do DTS when option available on the dvd, it just hangs and won't play anything.

I should have just left it at that. You are right.

The DVD-50 has the processor, but I'm still moderately sure it doesn't do the actual decoding. Anyway, it doesn't matter. The DVD-50 is a perfect match for your 520.

/me shuts up now
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2002
    http://www.sonicblue.com/support/goVideo/c_manual.asp

the model is CL 20 dvd cd player

I use optical between cal and h/k but i also have analogue/pcm and ac3 type connections. its a real good box just does not do dts which i would like the option.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2002
    can anyone help here?
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • phuz
    edited July 2002
    can anyone help here?

Help with what? I thought it was settled.
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2002
    was it? so i guess that means that i can't play dts?
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • phuz
    edited July 2002
    You can with the DVD-50, just not with your current DVD player. Sorry for all of the confusion.