Raleigh/Durham NC area Polk gathering?

2»

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited June 2005
    It's too bad you had to cancel....but at least there is an alternative. Have fun.

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum...&threadid=29665
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • marker
    marker Posts: 1,084
    edited June 2005
    The reason I decided to cancel was because after what 2 extremely helpful individuals here who have done this sort of thing before told me in PMs or e-mails, it seems like a 2 or 3 day all weekend thing at someone's house with lots of drinking and food is the norm of what the Club Polk members expect at these things, and what I envisioned is about the opposite of that.

I thought it could be a 1 afternoon (and night) thing where we would all listen to some gear (with no drinking at all at that time since it would be in an office premise) for a couple of few hours, and then maybe go out to a bar and/or club for those who wanted to drink afterwards later that night.

For that reason, I cancelled it. I came to the conclusion that after what some had already experienced at others, that it simply just wouldn't be worth it for any out of towners to come in for no more than I had to offer, and really, I can fully understand why and don't blame them. Let's face it, how can anything compete with the Polk HQ meet by comparision for example?

I really wanted to do this (and still do for that matter). I think even locally we could have had at least 5 or 6 members to attend from reasonably close to here, maybe even as many as 10, and as someone who has done this before told me, that would really be about the best number anyway, but I just don't think that what I was planning is really what everybody would want.

If anyone still wants to do this after knowing how it would be, I'm definitely still game! Matter of fact, someone has suggested that I still try to go forward with this, that even if only 5 or so showed up, it would still be worth it, and I agree with that.

Also, no matter what happens or doesn't happen, I just wanted to once again thank a couple of very helpful individuals here for their input and advise on this. You two know who you are.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2005
    So throw together a local mini-meet. It doesn't have to be big and official, get a few local guys together for a Saturday afternoon, and take some pictures.

Have fun with it, don't let it bum you out.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2005
    Marker,

I'm in agreement with RussMan. What you're planning is basically what I'm trying to put together for the Midwesterners. I wouldn't be able to compete with Polkfest either, and really wouldn't want to. I would like to just meet some of the CPers in person, listen to some tunes, talk ****, grill out, have a few drinks, etc. I really wanted to rent out the pool and poolhouse that my subdivsion has and set up there, but it seems that a residence is more to everyone's liking. I say go for it, like you said 5-10 people would be plenty. That's about what I would expect, also.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited June 2005
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to put a damper on your affair. The guys are dead-on, this forum is about just hanging out and it never has to be a big deal. Hel, I've been working on the Polkfest for months yet still hooked up with some Polkies for local stuff.

Turn it on, and they will come. Good luck.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2005
    If someone close to me put something together just for a sat afternoon. i'd jump at the chance.

Tried last year with a member from here.. he and i were the only two Polkies there. nice time and everything. I even drove 8 hours to get there.

But yeah.. what could more fun that talking audio and listening to it with a great bunch of people on a sat afternoon?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited June 2005
    Yeah Al, what did you do to Warviper??? After you guys got together, he disappeared.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2005
    F1,

Don't ask questions you aren't prepared for answers too.

BDT :D
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited July 2005
    yeah pm me Marker when you get things finalized.

or is this thread now out-of-date?
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • marker
    edited July 2005
    AAH, we are still going to do it, but I thought now might not be the best time since the mother of all Polkfests is coming up very soon. But we will do it one Saturday before the year is out. I will definitely PM you when we do set a definite date.

Also, when we do, I will bring one of my SVS PB-10 ISD subs since it wouldn't be TOO much trouble to bring one of them for anyone who hasn't yet heard a SVS. I briefly had 2 stacked Velodyne CHT-15 subs, and IMO 2 stacked 10" SVS PB-10 ISD subs will top the 15" Velos.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited July 2005
    sounds good.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited July 2005
    I would be interested in this, I believe. Don't worry about the not many people being there, no drinking because of being on office premises, and only being a one-day thing; all those are reasons that would make me want to come. They're plusses.

I'm not sure if it's actually viable for me to come, since I'm only 17 and my mom probably wouldn't let me come by myself. But just in case of some rare occurence that I get to go, I'd love to.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • marker
    edited August 2005
    Just wanted to give this thread a bump before it falls off the page as most of the others have.

Also, unc2701 has agreed to bringing his LSi25 pair to have a head to head shootout against my RT3000p pair. This will should be a very interesting battle between Polk's TOTL speaker up until 2002 or so till that series was discontinued (not counting the SRT that is) against their TOTL from around 2002 through present day.
  • marker
    edited August 2005
    Edit- duplicate post.
  • keith allen
    keith allen Posts: 734
    edited August 2005
    Close to home...heck yea!
  • AdilM
    AdilM Posts: 9
    edited October 2005