Raleigh/Durham NC area Polk gathering?

Options
marker
marker Posts: 1,084
edited October 2005 in Gatherings & Special Events
Would there be any interest if we could all agree on working out a good time and place for everybody?
Post edited by marker on

Comments

• AdilM
    AdilM Posts: 9
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I would do my best to attend.
    Any others?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Git 'er Done.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited May 2005
    Options
    barring freak circumstance, i'd be interested.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I'm there..
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Might be able to work that out, put me on the list as a possible.
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • marker
    edited May 2005
    Options
    So far we have 4 that are solid that I know of (counting myself), and 2 possible maybes.

C,mon guys and girls, we need more than that. Any others?
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Of course I would be there.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Depending on the date, I'd like to make it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited May 2005
    Options
    If I am not involved with anything major, I could probably do it.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited May 2005
    Options
    depends on date... I've got a busy summer, but that's my backyard..
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I'll add a maybe, close enough to drive up there.

Set a date, and they will come.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by hotwheelman
    Might be able to work that out, put me on the list as a possible.

Same here.
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Where would we meet?
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • marker
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the responces guys. It was just an idea I had I.

It's still in the very early preliminary stages. I haven't even started yet to think about planning and working out all the actual logistics such as a time and place. Right now I just wanted to try to get a preliminary head count as to how many we could realistically expect to see if it would be enough to justify trying to put it all together.

Anyone with any input or suggestions please feel free to weigh in.

• RuSsMaN
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Set a date broham, it doesn't have to be complicated.

Guys show up, listen, talk, eat, drink, help pay for everything, go home. Easy.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • marker
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Just trying to be flexible and get a date lined up that will work for the most people where we can have the biggest turn out we possibly can.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I'm interested so set a date. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• marker
    edited June 2005
    Options
    OK I think I may have figured out a place that would be suitable. I want to run it buy a couple of my local homies here first and see what they think though. But I believe it'll work.

Now we just need to set at least a tenative date. Obviously, A Saturday afternoon would probably be the best for most of us. Any suggestions of a date that will work best for each of you (or what will not work for you for us to avoid setting)?

I know I could just go ahead and throw a random date out there, but I'm trying to get what works best for the most so we can have as much turn out as possible.

I was thinking maybe the end of July or first of August, like the 30th or 6th to try to give enough time for everyone to make plans.

Feedback please.

Edit- original dates already changed because the first ones I threw out there wouldn't work for somone. There is no big hurry on this, but I'm sure we can all eventually agree on a good date that will work for everybody sooner or later.
  • marker
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Well, I've already heard from homie #1 about my proposed location. He knew exactly where it was and he liked the idea. Still waiting on homie #2.

One other thing I've thought of is that this place is literally right across the street from my local NHT dealer, and he is open I think till 6:00 on Saturdays, so we all can go across the street over there before he closes and everyone can hear the new NHT XD speaker system for themselves, which is absolutely incredible. That alone would be worth the trip. I WILL have a set one day, but not right now. He also has Revel and Mordunt Short (or whatever) and carries NAD, Marantz, and some other real high end electronics. I'm sure I could arrange this with him.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited June 2005
    Options
    You mean we're not coming to your house? What kind of place are you thinking about?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Greensboro, NC right here- p.m. me when you know where you're meeting.

I've never been to one of these "get togethers" before- kinda new on here.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • marker
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Jesse, I've been wracking my brains trying to think of a good place to do this, when last night, all of the sudden it hit me, the perfect place we could have the gathering at is my office complex, just so long as we do it on a Sat. afternoon after 4 or 5 o'clock or so.

It has plenty of parking, several rooms we could use to hook up equipment, lots of shelf and counter space, many outlets to plug into, enough chairs and sofas, eating joints close by within walking distance, reasonably close to hotels for those who will need to stay the night, close by a major interstate, etc.

As an added bonus, the NHT dealer I was talking about in my last post is literally right across the street. Want another added bonus? The local strip club called Pure Gold is right up the road just in case any of us want to go there after hours!

What do you think?
  • marker
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by aaharvel
    Greensboro, NC right here- p.m. me when you know where you're meeting.

I've never been to one of these "get togethers" before- kinda new on here.

I've never even been to one myself yet, much less tried to help put one together, but I'm starting to really look forward to it now. I think we've already had some good ideas, one of which has already been revealed, that being everybody getting a chance to hear the NHT XD system.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited June 2005
    Options
    oh great- of all the places in the entire united states, you had to pick one within sight of my exgirlfriend's apartment complex... I'm not shitting you- if you're talking about the office buildings on kildaire kinda down by the cary parkway& US 1, she lives in the apartments right across from them. small world, huh?
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I'm interested in seeing you guys, and hearing your rigs.

I can demo NHT and Revel anytime.

-Russ
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    I'm interested in seeing you guys, and hearing your rigs.

I can demo NHT and Revel anytime.

-Russ

Gotta agree with that one. Most of the fun is seeing how others peoples stuff sounds in their room and BS'ing about it. Not to mention putting faces to names and the like...

Marker, it looks like (from your sig) that you'd have the perfect house for a get together. Multiple rooms with established systems- It would be easy for others to get their demo on. Also, you got some nice stuff that many wouldn't mind getting an ear on as well.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • marker
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Hey guys, one more thing I've thought of, there is an Irish pub/restreaunt right beside the building called the Hibernian that a lot of times on Friday and Saturday nights has live bands in conjuntion with a promotion from a local radio station, 96 Rock.

Maybe they will be doing that on the same night we put this together just in case any would be interested in going over there too, at least for a little while.
  • marker
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by unc2701
    oh great- of all the places in the entire united states, you had to pick one within sight of my exgirlfriend's apartment complex... I'm not shitting you- if you're talking about the office buildings on kildaire kinda down by the cary parkway& US 1, she lives in the apartments right across from them. small world, huh?

Yep, it can be a small world, but don't let that deter you from coming. You'll forget all about her if we wind up going to Pure Gold.

• marker
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Here's what I can bring so far, besides the office rigs already mentioned in my signature that are already there, I can bring a pair of Polk RT1000i I have and am currently not using.

I can also bring the NHT M6 monitors that go with my T6 system which recently got a class A rating from Stereophile, but I'm not going to bring the subs and matching electronics as that would be too much trouble. The M6 do play low enough to listen to without a sub to give everyone a real good idea of what they sound like, but obviously it won't be the same without their matching subs. Or I could bring NHT M5 monitors instead. Either or. The NHT dealer next door will have full T6 or T5 systems set up anyway we could listen to though.

I have an Onkyo TX-8511 100 watt x 2 channel stereo receiver I'm currently not using I can bring to drive something. This receiver has A and B speaker switching so would be good to do any shoot outs between 2 pairs of speakers. Also a matching set of Cambridge Audio Azur 340A integrated amp and Azur 340C CD player. This CA integrated also has A + B speaker switching as well.

I can also throw together the little Onkyo MC-35 TECH mini system componets matched with a pair of Polk RT25i speakers and a Polk PSW-303 sub. For those who haven't yet heard this Onkyo mini-receiver, you might be surprised at how much drive this little sucker has. It will fool you. Plus, someone else in my office has a Denon/Mission mini system. We could have a shoot out between that and my Onkyo mini. There is someone here too who has a Bose Wave radio that we could all laugh at.

As for my office rigs already set up there, for those who haven't heard the Polk DS7200 system yet, that might be a treat. This little system will really POUND, especially in a smaller room. It's more than adequate for movies and FM radio listening, but it also sounds surprisingly good on 2 channel music as well. Polk has managed with equalization and active filtering to do a great job eliminating the gap that plaques these sub sat systems from around 100 - 150 HZ. And my 2 channel office rig with the set of NHT SB3 and NAD Silver series components is top notch if I do say so myself.

My cousin has agreed to let me bring his set of JBL S38 speakers. I will bring my set of Polk RT55 to compare against them in a head to head matchup. I've always wanted to do that anyway between these 2 sets of big bookshelf speakers.

I have another friend who will let me bring a pair of Boston Acoustics VR1 mini-towers. I really like these speakers a lot.

Also we can do a shoot out between the RT35i and the RT25i too once and for all.

I'm hoping maybe somebody can bring a set of RT55i to compare against my RT55. Oh, and a set of SDA would be nice too.

Edit- Almost forgot, I can also produce a Samsung/Klipsch Quintet II HTIB.
  • marker
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Indefinitely postphoned. Will set a firm date later. Sorry for any inconvienance.