Smell from my Rti4

Options
Willow
Willow Posts: 10,882
edited October 2005 in Troubleshooting
My rti4s are on their backs facing upwards (lying on stands) every once in a while I get a wiff of something, it's not electrical at all, it's kind of musty, wet dirty gym sock smell. I first thought it was the dog, or her toys, NO. Last night I kept getting wiffs of it, so I smelt the speaker and there it was. It's not constant but comes in waves. I have no idea what is causing this. The speakers have never been subjected to water or lots of moisture.

Any ideas, has anyone esle experienced this?
What can I do ?

Thanks
Post edited by Willow on

Comments

• okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Open them up and find out. There might be something in there that isn't supposed to be.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Have you tried identifying the type of music/movies you are playing when the smell is there??? Maybe the speakers have their own taste and are complaining....:):)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Willow
    edited September 2005
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    Have you tried identifying the type of music/movies you are playing when the smell is there??? Maybe the speakers have their own taste and are complaining....:):)
    :eek: :o :rolleyes:
  • Willow
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I think I will have to open them up, I don't see what shouldn't be in there. I have opened one of them up once to replce the driver, but I don't recall inserting a dirty sock.
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Willow, no offense, but this ranks as the strangest post to date! LOL
    I got to party with you dude!!!
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • BrentMcGhee
    BrentMcGhee Posts: 548
    edited September 2005
    Options
    There is something to stick in the troubleshooting section of speaker manuals.

Q. My speaker emits a foul odor

A. Remove any and all dirty gym socks you may have previously placed in there.
  • Willow
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Thanks, but for real the smell bothers my wife and I.
    I'll pull the puppies appart tonight but I doubt I'll find anything. Wonder if once it's opne if I can stuff a bounce sheet in there, behind the stuffing to help.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited September 2005
    Options
    You probably just have something living inside that came in through the port.

Speaking of polk smells... has anyone else noticed a "new speaker" smell distinct to polk? I really noticed it when I first cracked open the boxs that held my new polks.
  • Willow
    edited September 2005
    Options
    michael_w wrote:
    You probably just have something living inside that came in through the port.

Speaking of polk smells... has anyone else noticed a "new speaker" smell distinct to polk? I really noticed it when I first cracked open the boxs that held my new polks.

My 8's still smell like that. I think it's MDF smell.

maybe they should bottle it like they do for cars. Make your 75yr old speakers smell like new!! only 7 easy payments of 19.95$

I don't think anything is living in there it does not smell like corps
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited September 2005
    Options
    perhaps it's the smell of the woofer and it's rubber surround. Are they new speakers?
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • jwienand
    jwienand Posts: 80
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I am very interested to hear if you find anything. :eek:
  • BrentMcGhee
    BrentMcGhee Posts: 548
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Maybe it will be a hand that was chopped off of one of the employees at the chinese manufacturing plant!! :eek: :eek:
  • Willow
    edited September 2005
    Options
    aaharvel wrote:
    perhaps it's the smell of the woofer and it's rubber surround. Are they new speakers?

No I have had these for almost 2 years
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Didn't someone else post a couple of months ago that a mouse ran into their speaker? Time for a search for excess vermin!!!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Willow
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I know there is no animimals dead or alive or bugs dead or alive. I just want to know what I can do.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Willow wrote:
    I know there is no animimals dead or alive or bugs dead or alive. I just want to know what I can do.

this.

http://www.hitchams.suffolk.sch.uk/objectsfromind/images/jostick.jpg

or you simply call Kenneth from customer service.

HEY YO FATHER KENNY!!!! :D
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Willow
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I was hoping he would read this, I may write him directly.

Thanks guys
    Glad it brought some smiles. :D
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2005
    Options
    make some hippie climbed in there and is smoking out :eek:
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,102
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Actually, this is the THIRD post on CP (since I've been here) about people smelling their speakers.

My RT35i's smelled like pot.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • landry_p2000
    landry_p2000 Posts: 1,313
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Is it one speaker, or both? That idea about the bounce sheet may help, if it is in both speakers. I had an e-mail about the several uses for bounce dryer sheets. :confused::D:confused::)
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited September 2005
    Options
    wow! that's cool willow, speakers that lay on their back. just checked it out in systems showcase. perhaps i too should try that with my rti8 surrounds!!! but seriously, does that work for you? never thought about that. seems to make sense.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Willow
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Is it one speaker, or both? That idea about the bounce sheet may help, if it is in both speakers. I had an e-mail about the several uses for bounce dryer sheets. :confused::D:confused::)

More from the left back, but that is the side of the couch I sit on. I will have to check out the other side , but I do remember smelling once on that side (not me the speaker).
  • Willow
    edited September 2005
    Options
    BIZILL wrote:
    wow! that's cool willow, speakers that lay on their back. just checked it out in systems showcase. perhaps i too should try that with my rti8 surrounds!!! but seriously, does that work for you? never thought about that. seems to make sense.

it makes sense cause standing is to directional past the left speaker is sliding doors So I can't wall mount them. Later on I plan on having my dad cut a strip of drywall up to 6ft and fun cable in there to mount them above. I am not good with plaster finishing. But it works for now.
  • Tritonman
    Tritonman Posts: 159
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I would think based on the smell that it sounds like a voice coil heating up.
  • Willow
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Tritonman wrote:
    I would think based on the smell that it sounds like a voice coil heating up.

But they don't get lots of use in the rears
  • ward91
    ward91 Posts: 338
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Smell all around the speaker . it might not be the speaker, it may just be disturbing bad air.(did it smell when wou opend it)
    ELECTRONICS
    arcam cd93
    linn wakonda
    MC2 MC450
    Teac ud h01 DAC

SPEAKERS
    Tannoy DC6 t se .
  • Willow
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I stuck my nose in the front port and it def. comes from the speaker. I have not taken it appart yet, no time to do so.
  • Fallen Kell
    Fallen Kell Posts: 94
    edited October 2005
    Options
  • Willow
    edited October 2005
    Options
    No, I don't smell it anymore, they are now on the floor on their backs, we got a new couch and the stands made the speaker sit above an electric heater.
  • jwienand
    jwienand Posts: 80
    edited October 2005
    Options
    :p Was it the couch??? :p