Center Speaker For Home Theater

Options
harimau
harimau Posts: 2
edited July 2002 in Speakers
Main speakers are SDA/SRS 3.1TL Older than dirt, I know. Just getting feet wet with Home Theater, and have read about timbre matching, and have the impression that matching the tweeters is somewhat critical. The tweeters in my mains (according to the parts lists) are not used in any of the current selection of centers: SL3000 tri-laminate.

Looking for some advice on what would be a good match. Being semi-retired, price is a consideration.

Thanks,

Don

Followup unrelated question: My old two channel amp was rated at 85 watts per channel, RMS, 20-20K, 8 ohms, both channels driven, THD, etc. The HT receivers on the market have their specs stated similarly for two channel mode. But then in surround operation, the specs are a bit more confusing. Slightly smaller front channel rating. I get 120 Watts per channel with good specs in stereo mode, but 100 watts/channel with some weasel words in surround mode. Then I get another 100 watts for my center channel with weasel words, plus another 100 weasel watts for each of the two surround channels. Confusing. Are there five 100 watt amps, or are they somehow reallocating that 120 two-channel watts?
Post edited by harimau on

Comments

• Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Well, driving 120w in a 2 channel config is more than likely cleaner and easier on the amp than the 100 x 5 that they are claiming. They are usually reallocating that energy, but with higher THD and such when in 5 channel mode.

I think for real, any of the RTi line should match pretty well. I more than likely wouldn't go with the LSi C because it is VERY detailed (but not harsh) and might "overtake" the SDAs.

You'll become addicted, watch out!

- Steven
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Ill be straight with you,
    You need to use the same type or exact speaker in the front 3 in home theater.Mis matching a center if you have sharp ears ,you will notice a big timbre mis match and be annoyed how the sound changes across.
    If you love your current speakers, Id keep em for a nice 2 channel rig.For theater,Id build a hole new system and use all the same line speakers all the way around.
    If money is a problem and you want to get into theater,Buy a Good quality receiver or seperates to start,add rears and a sub,no center untill you can buy a complete front sound stage.
    My advice is directed to demanding ears,If you don't really care if it matches perfectly,then add a current center channel made by Polk.I can't tell you what one to go with as none of them will match.
    Small tid bit on theater.........The Center Channel Is The Most Important Speaker In The system.If you mess that up, the rest of the system will suffer.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I more than likely wouldn't go with the LSi C because it is VERY detailed (but not harsh) and might "overtake" the SDAs.

Care to explain "overtake"........:confused:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • Wesmo
    Wesmo Posts: 74
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Although, as mantis already explained, it won't match, the CS400i is a great center. I picked mine up brand new this weekend at Circuit City for 300 bucks. It's a discontinued speaker, so you'll have to hurry if you want to get one. You might be able to get a good deal on a floor model or grab one online. Since line has been discontinued, you might have a hard time putting together the full RT setup, especially if you can't financially purchase everything at one time. You might want to consider the replacement line, the RTi series. The CSi40, the replacement for the 400i, probably sounds about as good as the 400i, but it would be even more mismatched for your mains due to the silk dome tweeter. So any way you slice it, it would be best to get the whole set up all at once. If you're quick and lucky, you might be able to get the RT set up and save big time over the new RTi series
    wes
    mains: rt600i
    center: cs400i
    rears: rt35i
    sub: dcm sw10
    receiver: onkyo tx-ds696
    tv: rca 27in entertainment series
    dvd player: panasonic dvd-rv31
    wire and interconnects: monster
  • harimau
    harimau Posts: 2
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Found a CS245i in Crutchfield's dent and scratch shop for $127. Couldn't find the scratches nor the dents. Went with that model cuz it has tri-laminate tweeter, same (but probably not the same after all these years) as what's in my mains. I'm quite pleased, altho I'll admit that at 55, the ears aren't what they used to be.

But a good fit, in my opinion, for matching my old SDA's.

Don
  • Wesmo
    Wesmo Posts: 74
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I used the 245i for a few months, and agree that it's a great speaker. I'm sure you'll be happy with it, and you got a good price. Still, I love my 400i much more, but it's a lot more expesive too, so I guess it's just a trade-off.
    wes