Contained RT600I's

Options
davew43
davew43 Posts: 25
edited July 2002 in Speakers
OK. I have a pair of RT600I's and they sound great! Im building a room downstairs to run a HDTV Projector. Problem is not enuff room on the front. So Im planning on placing the 600s in a Built in Wall enclosure and having them surface exposed. Because of the Bass Port being 360 degrees at the bottom, will I loose sound quality or will the Mids and Highs still sound good and let the PSW450 do the Bottom end work on the side? Thats a lot of work to do, not knowing the outcome of the sound... Any body tried this before, If so, how did you do?

Thanx davew :confused::confused:
Dont ask me why it sounds so good... Im just the Computer guy.
The Audio?
Polk RT800i's Front
Polt FX30's Rear
Polk Csi30 center
and some flimsy **** Sony Amp pushes it.
Post edited by davew43 on

Comments

• briancs
    briancs Posts: 193
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I am pretty sure that will be quite boomy. Other than that I do not see any problems that you may encounter. Do not worry if I am wrong someone will tell us.;) . Have you thought about getting a sonically transparent screen? That way you could put your center and mains behind the screen having the sound emualate from the screen. I believe I have read about someone having that type of screen on here.
    The guy with $40.00 mains and a $700.00 subwoofer.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Ok,
    I'll jump all over this topic.I have tons of experience with this.
    Putting floor standing as a rule of thumb in an enclosed cabnet,in the wall is a bad thing.But your in luck with the type of speakers you own.They can be corrected and made to sound fantastic.Here's what you do.Inside your cabnet where you want to put them,get black egg crating and line the inside with it.This will help remove any boom.Make sure the front of the speaker is eithersticking out of the cabnet to clear the sides(for reflection reasons) or at least as close as possible.
    Use the carpet spikes to tilt the speaker depending how high they go.You can go as far as Removing the front spikes and leaving the backs on If they are up to high.
    Run them in small.Keep as much bass out of them as possible.Mids and Highs will benifit.
    Option 2.......sell them or put them somewhere else and go inwalls.Polk has nice inwalls.This is a real clean setup and super wife friendly.You have to treat the inside of the wall for best results.You can do this in a retrofit application.I find inwalls sound better in the wall then floorstanding's in the wall or cabnet.They are not made to be enclosed but if you follow my technique,you will have positive results.
    Good luck with your project.There are many options that you can do to make it work.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.