DH LABS Power Cable - DIY - Review/ Demo

Options
dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,576
edited September 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
***UNDER CONSTRUCTION*** DEMO #10
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited March 2005
    Options
    This is a definite no brainer power cord with great performance for the price. I've had it hooked up to the Musical Fidelity integrated for a few weeks burning in and listening.

My usual setup consists of a Signal Magic power on my Rotel CD player and Cardas Cross power on my integrated. Swapping out the Cardas for the DH Labs gave me more detail in the high end and reduced the bass a tad. I kept my setup like this for the most part and for past week I've had the Cross on the integrated and the DH labs on my CD and I find this setup to be my preference.

In the last month I've been out of town 2 of 3 weeks and I didn't have all that much time to play around with additional combinations. I've never been all that happy with the SC power and suspect that it may have been the culprit for the diminished bass.

I'll definitely be making a few DH labs power cords in the future. :)
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited April 2005
    Options
    My review coming soon. I had to break in all my gear and get all personal with it before I could make a review of this power cord.

I'll say this about it's built quality, I love how flexible it is and seems to have really good built quality. Nice cable and I'm excited to give her a run.

Stay tuned

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Tonight I'm wrapping up my demo of this powercord. I will write it up after the shootout.

I just love how flexable the damn thing is.

Dan
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Well I listened tonight and it was a pleasure having it in my system. It's well built and sounds great. I like it alot. I would buy them myself.

I wish I still had the signal cable powercord as I feel that would have been a better demo then using the Kimber Powercords. Like the Signalcable power cord, the DH labs fell short in compare but from what I remember of the signal cable, it was alittle closer. Maybe I can't remember exactly how the other demo went but this cord I like better.

I think I like the built quality and flexibility of it more then the sound quality, go figure.

I don't know what they cost to make or buy but if the price is under the Kimber cords then they are completely worth it. I really didn't notice to much differences between the 2 cords when using it on my preamp, but the difference was when using it on my amp. The Rotel rmb1095 sounded sweeter with the Kimber Pk14 then this monster. Actually I thought it was going to be the other way around.

The DH labs is a great powercord and all who havent tried it should. If your not into powercords, I believe this one will make you. The balance was right on. Such a nice upgrade for someone.

Mantis seal of approval.

Dan
    Dan
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Mantis and dcarlson,
    Thanks for sharing reviews. Its a nice cord for the money and does sound different than the Signal Cable cord. Which one is better for one's system is based on system synergy. For me as well the DH Labs was better as I like the tone (warmer) and more enveloping soundstage when used on the amps.

The DH Labs powercord costs roughly $65 to make DIY with the Wattgate plugs. The same cord (dressed up with Techflex) sells for $200.
  • mantis
    edited May 2005
    Options
    pjdami,

Oh MY 65 bucks??? Hell I would wire my entire system with em for that price. Yes they it seemed to have a warmer sound to it from what I remembered from the Signal cable. I really wish I had both cords at the same time. O well.

Man if you want to get into powercord upgrades , I see no other powercord, not even my kimber cords a better value at that price. Builting custom lengths make it even more attractive.

EFF IT I'M BUYING THEM

Dan
    Dan
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,376
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by pjdami
    The DH Labs powercord costs roughly $65 to make DIY with the Wattgate plugs. The same cord (dressed up with Techflex) sells for $200.

Paul, is there a best place you'd recommend for buying the raw cable and plugs online?
  • pjdami
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Emlyn
    Paul, is there a best place you'd recommend for buying the raw cable and plugs online?

Send Dave Shepard (fellow Polkie) a PM as he is selling DH Labs parts at a discount price for forum members. Check with him first to see what he can do for you.

For other places see this thread:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25063&highlight=labs
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I also liked the flexibility of the DH Labs PC over the Signal.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    pjdami,

Oh MY 65 bucks??? Hell I would wire my entire system with em for that price. Yes they it seemed to have a warmer sound to it from what I remembered from the Signal cable. I really wish I had both cords at the same time. O well.

Man if you want to get into powercord upgrades , I see no other powercord, not even my kimber cords a better value at that price. Builting custom lengths make it even more attractive.

EFF IT I'M BUYING THEM

Dan
    LMAO.

I don't know of any better cheap upgrade. It's on my list of things to do in the near future.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Paul hook me up with the first DH Labs and I like 'em so much that I made 2 more.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    edited May 2005
    Options
    O your making cords??? Can I put in an order??? You build them and I pay.... sounds like a good deal to me..LOL

Dan
    Dan
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2005
    Options
    sure, Dan, how many do you need? :D
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Does anyone know if the DH labs power cable will fit in the Schurter 4782.0100 IEC?
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • pjdami
    edited September 2005
    Options
    tryrrthg wrote:
    Does anyone know if the DH labs power cable will fit in the Schurter 4782.0100 IEC?

I just looked at the 4782 that I have and the DH Labs; I don't think the plastic sheathing on the power cord will fit the housing without modifications. It can be done, but I believe you will lose the ability to use the internal clip to secure the power cord sheathing. This is to protect the power cord terminations from unsecuring themselves if someone yanks the power cord from the cord and not the IEC.

You can make it work though. Just trim the plastic sheathing on the power cord and feed the hot, neutral, and ground wires through and then use heat shrink to secure that connection. You may also be able to wallow out the plastic housing on the 4782 some with a knife. Just don't tug on the wire when pulling and always pull from the IEC.

I prefer to use the Wattgate IEC with the DH Labs. Very easy IEC to work with. Kimber uses them on their power cords. I use the 4782 with the Asylum power cords I made.

*edit* after thinking about this more, you might still be able to use the internal clip on just the 3 wires and make the plastic sheath on the power cord flush with the back of the IEC and just ditch that plastic funnel that is supplied with the IEC. Make sure to use heat shrink on the IEC and on the power cable to make it secure.

good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Paul
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the info, Paul!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15