Video cables

sdBigDuck
sdBigDuck Posts: 16
edited September 2005 in Video Games
I know this forum is basically for audio cable and yeah, I know bigger is better (using 12g).
My question is how does this affect the size of component video cables? Do we really need mega cables to transfer digital signals to the TV? Will a set of $40 component video cables be that much worse than a $120 beefed up (wire) pair? My impression is that they are transfering binary information - won't that be done despite the size of each strand?
If I'm wrong, I hope I don't offend anyone...

Receiver: Denon AVR3805 7.1 Channel 120 W/C
Front Speakers: RTi8's
Surround Speakers: TC60i's
SW: Velodyne DLS3750R
TV: Sony 70" Grand Wega
Speaker cables: 12G
Post edited by sdBigDuck on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited September 2005
    High quality video cables make small improvements in overall picturre quality.

matching the correct level of cable to the level of video gear you own is key. You have a very nice tv and should use high quality cables on it if you want to see what your tv can do

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited September 2005
    Well, if you are using Component video cable, the "data" is still analog.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited September 2005
    you know what I use for component cables? 75ohm audio/video patch cables that can be had for $20. Works great.

Don't buy into the whole "component" cable and "digital coaxial" cable ****.

They're still RCA connectors, and if they're made decent will still have 75ohm. Don't believe the hype.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited September 2005
    Yes, don't spend extra because it says component. If you want some nice, cheap ones, try blue jeans cable
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    edited September 2005
    ledhed wrote:
    Yes, don't spend extra because it says component. If you want some nice, cheap ones, try blue jeans cable
    I agree, Blue Jeans has affordable, high quality, no nonsense cables. I'm especially impressed with the quality vs cost of the HDMI cables they carry (they don't actually make them though).
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited September 2005
    If you are comfortable with diy you can make good component cables out of RG6.

I had a customer that purchased the Sharp XV-Z12000 projector. This was his 4th home theater projector. He needed 25ft of component video cables. So he purchased a set of M Series Monster cables at a little under $300. I also suggested that he try making some of his own from coax, since it was cheap and, he said he used to make his own cables in his ham radio days. About 2 weeks later after having all his a/v buddies over, and doing blind tests he returned the Monster cables. He claimed everyone picked the coax over the m-series. Now I didn't get to witness this comparison myself, but I did spend much time talking to him, and a couple of his friends, and they all seemed very knowledgable. He also said that the projector calibrated better with the coax cables. I think he said he used Digital Video Essentials.

Just thought I would throw this in. I figure at $.15/ft you can't go wrong with trying.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,