Def Tech Subwoofers

Options
2»

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I may have been alittle rash in my last post, but I see someone got my meaning without taking offense.

Many will push what they think is the right choice due to there experience. SVS while it is what it is ... is something I have experienced twice and have a completely different opnion then most.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • m-rorem
    m-rorem Posts: 58
    edited September 2005
    Options
    mantis wrote:
    I may have been alittle rash in my last post, but I see someone got my meaning without taking offense.

Many will push what they think is the right choice due to there experience. SVS while it is what it is ... is something I have experienced twice and have a completely different opnion then most.

Dan

Mantis,

Your point was pretty clear to me, I guess I'm just "thick skinned." Actually your to-the-point if not a little blunt statment is why I replyed. I too have had much experience with SVS, I like them for what they are, I just don't think they are the end-all of subwoofers.

Please don't be afraid to voice your obviously well-educated opinion, if people don't want to hear it, they shouldn't post quesitons or read this or any forum for that matter.

mrorem
  • gregure
    gregure Posts: 871
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Def Tech is very liberal on everything they post. I honestly don't know WHY they dont post -3db responses. But when I asked Chet, he basically said the general public (95% of the population that buys HA products) just does not care about the -3db response, but only pay attention to the overall.

Pardon me, but I think that's total B.S. In my experience, people who "don't care" about the details haven't even heard of Def Tech, or most other brands for that matter. People who don't care, such as people that I need to explain what 5.1 or DTS means on a daily basis, are even less brand savvy. People who do care, and know what brands to look for, are familiar with the +/- 3 dB concept, and I think that Def Tech's failure to list +/- 3 responses in favor of only overall are misleading the public by omission. Literally EVERY OTHER sub brand I've ever encountered published +/- 3 if not +/- 1 or 2. Some will list overall and +/- 3 such as Polk. My only point is that when there is a relatively consistent pattern of listings among subs, Def Tech, I think, skirts the issue by only listing overall response, which could mean 20 Hz at - 20dB for all we know. And I'm certainly familiar with the concept that some manufacturers target a certain market, such as HT, rather than others, but why should anyone waste money on a HT sub that's crappy for music when they can get a sub for near the same money that is better for both? Just because a sub is boomy and loud doesn't make it a great HT sub.

I agree that SVS is not the end all of subs, and I'm sure $4000 subs would beat out most of their models. Again, most on the forum recommend SVS for price vs performance, and in my opinion that is accurate. It would be pointless and impractical to recommend a REL Studio III or Martin Logan Descent, or Velodyne DD15 to someone with an Onkyo 801 and a Polk Rti speaker system. These would obviously be outside this person's budget, so why bring it up?
    Current System:

Mitsubishi 30" LCD LT-3020 (for sale**)
    Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand (Rosewood)-Mains (with Audioquest Mont Blanc cables)
    CSi5-Center (for sale**)
    FXi3-surrounds (for sale**)
    Martin Logan Depth-Sub
    B&K AVR 507
    Pimare CD21-CD Player
    Denon 1815-DVD Player
    Panamax M5500-EX-Line Conditioner
  • m-rorem
    edited September 2005
    Options
    gregure wrote:
    Pardon me, but I think that's total B.S. In my experience, people who "don't care" about the details haven't even heard of Def Tech, or most other brands for that matter. People who don't care, such as people that I need to explain what 5.1 or DTS means on a daily basis, are even less brand savvy. People who do care, and know what brands to look for, are familiar with the +/- 3 dB concept, and I think that Def Tech's failure to list +/- 3 responses in favor of only overall are misleading the public by omission. Literally EVERY OTHER sub brand I've ever encountered published +/- 3 if not +/- 1 or 2. Some will list overall and +/- 3 such as Polk. My only point is that when there is a relatively consistent pattern of listings among subs, Def Tech, I think, skirts the issue by only listing overall response, which could mean 20 Hz at - 20dB for all we know. And I'm certainly familiar with the concept that some manufacturers target a certain market, such as HT, rather than others, but why should anyone waste money on a HT sub that's crappy for music when they can get a sub for near the same money that is better for both? Just because a sub is boomy and loud doesn't make it a great HT sub.

I agree that SVS is not the end all of subs, and I'm sure $4000 subs would beat out most of their models. Again, most on the forum recommend SVS for price vs performance, and in my opinion that is accurate. It would be pointless and impractical to recommend a REL Studio III or Martin Logan Descent, or Velodyne DD15 to someone with an Onkyo 801 and a Polk Rti speaker system. These would obviously be outside this person's budget, so why bring it up?

Gregure,

I agree with you about DefTech and for that matter any other company not disclosing they specifications with enough "detail." It is indeed VERY misleading, and borders on just down right lying. However, there are also many companies that do disclose +/- specs that are also based on the ILS (if lightning strikes) standard established my companies like Sony, Pioneer, and virtually all of the wanna-be hifi companies in the industry.

Unfortunately, there is no requirement for manufacturers to fully disclose their specifications when it comes to many aspects of our hobby (life).

While it might be out of the budget of many consumers, products like REL, Velodyne, Martin Logan, etc... certainly represent a MUCH higher level of performance than the products that may be a muche better value. Unfortunately with the decline of the B&M store fronts, and lack of knowledgable skilled sales associates that seem to plague the industry these days, many consumers are never even introduced to such products.

After working many years in the Home Audio/Video sales industry and being a consumer of Home Audio/Video for most of my adult life, I have come to one very important reality:

Hifi consumers are very different breed! We hifi consumers do not purchase any product because we "need" it, only because we "want it". How can we know for sure what we "want" if no one introduces it as an option. Most if not all hifi consumers can/would appreciate the difference in quality offered by "high-end" gear if given the opportunity to compare it.

I feel that the real problem in today's hifi retail industry is that due to consumer demand for "best price" most retailers have decided that they can make the profits necessary to train, and pay their sales staff properly. Big companies with deep pockets (Bestbuy, Circuit City, etc..) are buying up most of the companies that used to provide this level of service. Unfortuantely that leaves we the consumer with companies like Magnolia Home Theater (Best Buy) to educate us.

For instance, we just had our first Magnolia Home Theater store open on the 16th here in Alaska. Just for entertainment, I strolled in to check them out. Every sales person was virtually clueless, but representing products that REQUIRE a true professional to represent (Premaire, Martin Logan, Vienna Acoustics, Audioquest, etc...) One of the associates approached me as I was checking at the Martin Logan products on display and advised me that according to his training, Martin Logan would soon be adding an electro-static subwoofer to their product line-up. I held back the laughter, and then explained to him that not only was it all buy technically impossible, but that the panel for such a subwoofer wouldn't fit inside the entire store. He gave me the deer in the headlights look and left me be (which was what I was after in the first place.)

Sorry for the rant,

mrorem
  • mantis
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Personally I think people get to caught up in spec's.

Like the SVS subwoofers, they claim to go into the 20's. Ok thats fine but does that mean it sounds good?? I think the best woofers and sub woofers are the ones that sound the best.If they only go to lets say 25hz but sound awesome going there , I would rather have that woofer then one that goes to 20hz and sound lousy doing it.

Thats why I say you gotta experience what you buy, if you really care about your sound quality, take the time to go out and listen to many different brands and hear how they respond to the same source material.

Speaking of Martin Logan , all there subs sound great. The Dynamo is a cheap sub they make and it sounds killer for both movies and music. For that kind of money I was shocked on how good it sounds. It's like 599.99 retail.

B&W is another company who does woofers right. All there woofers sound really good.

My point is that there is many subwoofers out there to go play with.

Dan
    Dan
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2005
    Options
    That makes no sense, Go to 20 hz but not sound good :confused:
    at that level its about bass and output,for HT. what music do you listen to that go's to 20hz? None, so complete quality if it wasnt there doesn't really apply at 15 -20hz, I don't sit and watch a action movie with my SVS and say that last explosion wasn't up to sound quality when it hit 18hz :p
    to a certain price point i think SVS kicks the competitors ****!! and it sounds great for music, ya don't like em for what ever reason fine... go demo 20 other subs and do your own research. stop brand bashing or getting mad because a product rules a certain market and price point.. Its like LSI's, they may rule the sub 2000 price point for higher end speaker systems...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • m-rorem
    edited September 2005
    Options
    faster100,

I don't believe mantis is "brand bashing" at all, he is simply stating a valid point, there are many quality subwoofers within reach of the "common man." Just because he doesn't think SVS is the best value for him, doesn't make it not the best value for you and many others. His point is simply don't make a decision without listening to at least a few different products.

Also, a sub CAN have very high SPL at 20hz but at very high distortion that results in harmonic distortions that disrupt the quality of the bass in the upper bass frequencies. That is why a lot of people "think" they have heard the opening organ tone from the theme to 2001 A Space Oddessy, when in reality they weren't hearing anything but the distorted harmonic created by the sub's attempt to reproduce the true 16hz center frequency (of which is actually not audible for most people, although very easy to feel as a anyone who has a system capable of reproducing it can tell you.)

I agree that even our beloved LSI's are not the only quality speaker on the market, but to my ears and obviously many "golden ears" they represent a value that is hard to beat within my budget. I have listened to many other high quality speakers, but not found any that offered the clear mid-range, and extended high frequency response of the LSI's without sounding "bright" to my ears. IMHO the LSI's combined with a quality subwoofer are a very hard combo to beat. Not to say they can't be beat, but if you like their sound, your gonna have to spend a bundle for a superior product.

mrorem
  • gregure
    edited September 2005
    Options
    You bring up some excellent points m-rorem. Thanks for sharing.
    It is a shame that most people don't get to experience truly knowledgable sales people anymore. Your experience at MHT does not surprise me. While Best Buy owns Magnolia, the stand alone Magnolia stores can still offer high quality service from people who know what they're talking about. I should know, I work at one. Fortunately, Best Buy left the corporate structure of Magnolia intact, and allowed the compnay to do what it's been doing for 50 years. The MHT project is completely controlled by Best Buy. I've had many vendor reps and trainers make jokes about trying to hold MHT employees's hands because they basically know jack **** about audio most of the time.

I also agree that Martin Logan subs are some of the best. I would kill for a Descent, or even a Depth for that matter. The Depth we have shakes the whole store when turned up loud enough, and it's a large store. The Grotto is a hell of a deal as well. It's actually the sub I sell the most, because people are very impressed with its sound, especially considering the size.

Now, as for SVS, I am a believer. I have their entry level sub, and it certainly performs better than anything in its price bracket. Indeed, I feel one would need to go to the Grotto, or a REL Q201 or Britannia series before you could one up this $430 sub from SVS, and the SVS will even beat out some of these subs in lower extension. And yes, the SVS does sound excellent for movies and music, especially in that subsonic 20 Hz range, which I am plenty familiar with from working around superior subs all day. As for music in the 20 Hz range, if one listens to classical music and opera with string bass, bass drum and organ often punctuating the music, one does truly experience frequencies in that lower range.

In short, SVS kicks the **** out of Def Tech subs, and has lower extension and more accuracy. Now, are they the best? Not in the greater scheme of things, but at the price, they're hard to beat.
    Current System:

Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand (Rosewood)-Mains (with Audioquest Mont Blanc cables)
    CSi5-Center (for sale**)
    Martin Logan Depth-Sub
    B&K AVR 507
    Pimare CD21-CD Player
    Denon 1815-DVD Player
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Interesting.... I demo'd an M&K system ...using first an M&K sub then A Def Tech sub...actually he brought 2 of the Def's in the room. I thought the Def Tech sub did an acceptional job on both HT and music. The M&K sub sounded a tad better...but compared to 2x the price tag of the Def Tech sub! I have not heard an SVS sub... myself. I normally like to listen to something Prior to buying it. I did get a chance to hear a Velodyne sub... don't remember wich one...but it was at Tweeter and it was like $2500. I'm assuming the setup was not right on it cause it did not impress me at all! I was quite dissapointed in it.
  • m-rorem
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Interesting.... I demo'd an M&K system ...using first an M&K sub then A Def Tech sub...actually he brought 2 of the Def's in the room. I thought the Def Tech sub did an acceptional job on both HT and music. The M&K sub sounded a tad better...but compared to 2x the price tag of the Def Tech sub! I have not heard an SVS sub... myself. I normally like to listen to something Prior to buying it. I did get a chance to hear a Velodyne sub... don't remember wich one...but it was at Tweeter and it was like $2500. I'm assuming the setup was not right on it cause it did not impress me at all! I was quite dissapointed in it.

Unfortunately, just because a company is an Authorized Dealer, doesn't assure proper setup or knowledgable sales staff. For instance, a LOT of upscale stores still have their video displays setup with the "default" settings.

The nice thing about SVS is that you do get a money back guarantee if you don't like the product one you get it home, very few people actually do that though (cause their great subs). Most upscale B&M dealers also offer liberal exchange policies and/or loaner programs, as no matter how much money they spend on the demo room, it's still NOT your room. It really doesn't matter how it sounds anywhere, but in YOUR room. Another issue is that most people don't take the time to setup their new grear properly, even if they spend big $, the extra money for good cables or perhaps a professional installer seems unreasoable to most.

mrorem
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I think people lately tend to let names and price get in the way of good sound/quality.. and people also think they need to make a point of hateing on products because to many people endorse it :rolleyes: I'm just getting tired of the whole which is better, SVS or said high dollar sub yada yada.. i guess
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • mantis
    edited September 2005
    Options
    faster100 wrote:
    I think people lately tend to let names and price get in the way of good sound/quality.. and people also think they need to make a point of hateing on products because to many people endorse it :rolleyes: I'm just getting tired of the whole which is better, SVS or said high dollar sub yada yada.. i guess
    Here's whats funny... I actually agree with what your saying. Price and names tend to bring people to them. I'm all about the sound quality , not the name on any of my gear.Hating on a product because to many people talk about it is just wrong. Theres gotta be something about the SVS subwoofers people like or they wouldn't get talked about as much. But that doesn't mean that everyone else is going to join the band wagon. I for one have experience with SVS and many other brands. I don't care for the way SVS sounds. I think there no better then most woofers or subwoofers in there price class. Personally I think B&W and Martin logan at the same price points or close sound better. Despite what the spec's say. Rel for that matter is the most musical sub anything I have ever heard at any price level. I have felt subs that can SPL a REL out the door but when it comes to acurate low bass for music, none of which I have heard better REL. Again thats just my opnion.

Dan
    Dan
  • gregure
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I agree REL are the most musical subs I've heard. Followed closely by Martin Logan-very accurate. REL are not so great for HT though, as they are meant mostly for the truly low frequencies, and not so much the mid-bass where much of the LFE response is. That's why REL created the Britannia series, a sub more HT capable, while still offering the low extension and musicality of the rest of REL's line. They are rather large, more tall than they are wide or deep. Even the smallest, the B3 is a monster, easily going to 18 Hz, and able to pressurize the better part of our store when turned up. The B2 is even better, and I have not heard the B1 but I can only imagine (13 Hz at -6 dB)! Of course, the B1 is a $3000 sub, more than all but the most expensive SVS.
    Current System:

CSi5-Center (for sale**)
    Martin Logan Depth-Sub
    B&K AVR 507
    Pimare CD21-CD Player
    Denon 1815-DVD Player
  • mantis
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Rel and SVS aren't on the same playing field. Different kinds of woofers. Martin logan blows me away how good all there subs sound. I'm not shocked but suprised since they just got into subs not but a few years ago. Great company.

Rel for theater is excellent. Deep bass response and no BOOMy MESSY bass. I think the best theaters I have put together had Rels in them. One theater I did was a all Sonus Faber / Rel / B&K system that just totally kicked **** for music and theater. What a killer combo when properly installed and calibrated.
    I damn near wanted to buy the entire system exactly how it was spec'd out.
    SACD sounded really good. We ran Star Wars EP 1 and man what a pod race on that system. The customer was blown away and couldn't that us enough.

SVS I can do without. There not for me.

Dan
    Dan
  • gregure
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Just curious, Dan, which REL subs did you use in the above referenced system? In my experience, the Britannia series is their best HT subs, but the Q201 does a great job too. Sumiko reps recommend 2-3 REL subs per home theater for true quality sound. YEAH RIGHT!!! When I win the Lotto, then we'll talk!
    Current System:

CSi5-Center (for sale**)
    Martin Logan Depth-Sub
    B&K AVR 507
    Pimare CD21-CD Player
    Denon 1815-DVD Player