Polk S8

Davidv
Davidv Posts: 94
edited September 2005 in Speakers
I found a pair of model number S8's for sale. Does anyone recognize this model number. They look like they have 2 6 1/2 inch drivers and a tweet. Were these part of a surround package? I can't find anything on google or polk's website.

Thanks,
David
Beer on tap is great, until the keg runs dry and the liqour store is closed!:D

Post edited by Davidv on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    edited September 2005
    They have 1 7.5" midbass and a 1 7.5" PR I believe.

They use really thin, plastic cabinets. (They resonate really bad apparently).
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Davidv
    edited September 2005
    So in other words, don't bother. Right?

thanks Sid.

• ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited September 2005
    The "S" series ran from 92- 94 I believe. There were 4 models. S4, S6, S8 and S10

The S8's have a 1 x 1" dome tweeter
    1x 7-1/2" driver
    1x 7-1/2 sub bass radiator

SIZE: 25" H X 11.5"W X 8-3/4" D

Freq Response: 28Hz - 25Hz

The "S" series is not a bad speaker. They produce a very nice soundstage, and a nice smooth midrange. They a a tad light on the Bass side, but plenty of good clean power tends to bring lower end out more....and it's quiet clean.
    They are bigger than a bookshelf modle, but don't sound all that well sitting on the floor. About 12" off floor on a small stand and the open right up...NO RESINATING that I have ever heard.

What kind of asking price are you looking at?
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Resonating of the cabinets arnt heard. If you can hear it, it means a part of the cabinet is loose.

The cabinet is made of like 1/8" thick plastic I believe. It is very thin and has almost no bracing. The cabinet would flex quite a bit I imagine, a few "hardcore" members on here have told me that anyways.

When you get the time, turn up the music to louder levels and just place your hands on the sides of the cabinet.

Lets just say there is a reason Polk uses 3/4" MDF now on every model except the RM series.

This would lead to chesty mids and boomier bass than normal.

Other than that, it uses the midbass from the RT7 (It was the R series of the first RT series time period). I believe, maybe slightly reworked...

It could be worth it, depends on the application.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited September 2005
    I am not about to get in a pissing match about wether the S8's have a problem resonating or not. Lord knows Owning the S8's the 4's and the 10's for 12 years wouldn't hold a candle to the opinion of a "Hardcore" member.

All I am saying David is that they sound pretty good...not a bag little speaker in my opinion. Careful on the price, I wouldn't pay more that 110.00 for them.
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    I'm not saying they are bad speakers man... I've never heard them...

I'm stating they have a plastic enclosure. I stated what is wrong with having a thin enclosure and that was that.

Rock on! :)
  • Davidv
    edited September 2005
    Thanks for all of the input. I knew someone would know something about these. I have no real need for these. I saw them for $100.00 and thought, huh what are these and would they be better than my old Monitor 5's for my 2 channel rig. It sounds like they may be a step up, but I don't have the $100.00 the guy wants. So I will pass for now, once again thank you both.

David

• The s8s I have are 23 yrs old, black wood and still rocking !

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    According to the designer, a friend of mine, the S6 and S8 were the sweet spot of the line. The S10 was for mucho-bass.

I have a pair of S8 and S4. The S8 are actually very listenable and I really enjoy them. They are doing duty in my sunroom, driven by a Parasound HCA-1000A. I haven't noticed any issue with cabinet resonance but I don't drive them hard. There are cabinet build issues with the crappy plastic trim that tends to crack easily.

The S4 are doing duty as surround in my HT system. They timber match fairly well with my modified RTA-11TL with RDO-198 tweeters and a CS250S that uses a very similar tweeter as the S series. The S4 is ported and does not like to be pushed as it chuffs a lot through the port.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601