volume loss in DVD mode

rickfaldo
rickfaldo Posts: 49
edited July 2002 in Electronics
I have noticed a definate loss of volume when playing DVD's compared to cable or CD's.
Any ideas? I have to have the volume to -0db inorder to have it loud. This setting is way too loud (almost) for cable or cd's.
All input and output connections are switched through my receiver using AR digital cables. My player is a Toshiba SD-1600 and my receiver an Integra DTR 7.1
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Rick
Post edited by rickfaldo on

Comments

• LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited June 2002
    I know when I play a DVD on my PS2 I have to turn the volume way way up.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited June 2002
    The SD-1600 may have a volume out control? This is only a quess if it does or not?
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited June 2002
    Well I am fairly certain that the Ps2 has a volume control area in the DVD setup menu.

I think the factory setting is like -2 or-3. If you set it to 0 then the volume comes back to normal. I don't know why Sony did that.

I have the Toshiba 2150 Dual Tray DVD player and have not had one problem with it sound wise.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited June 2002
    some times i play a dvd and it is very quite and other times it is louder
  • dlew308
    dlew308 Posts: 530
    edited June 2002
    everytime i play dvds on my dvd player, i haven to turn down the vol, same with playing games/dvds on the ps2.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited June 2002
    Every time I turn my reciever on I have to turn that volume knobby thingy and depending on which way I turn it, sound gets louder are quieter. Sometimes If I turn the knob to far I can't hear anything. Weird! :D
  • rickfaldo
    edited June 2002
    Scott: Thanks for your input, very helpful. Maybe you should give spell check a try.
    Rick
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2002
    Ya I suck at spelling and I am OK with that but the people here know that and now they know you have no sence of humor. I think some people like my sarcasm. I think many of use would like a spell check on here. But we usually understand what we are saying. Some of use even have our own BEER language. There are going to be different volumes with different audio sources. Actually my DVD is much louder than the rest. DD has very efficient audio output. It depends on how loud you set up your 5.1 channels when you calibrate your system. It is not a big deal.:confused:
  • stubby
    stubby Posts: 723
    edited June 2002
    I noticed the same thing with my Toshiba SD 2006. (oldy) DVD's just aren't as loud as CD's. On my system anyway. Dynamic range isn't as good either. If I play a CD at the same volume setting, it just isn't as loud. Same if I play a CD in the DVD player, the CD is just louder. Hell, my old Sanyo (junk) hifi VCR has more dynamic range than my DVD player. So I guess it might actually be the DVD's that aren't as loud/dynamic. Which, of course, is opposite of what it should be. Glad it's not just me.

Stubby
    SRS 3.1TL
    Harman Kardon Citation 5.1
    Anthem AVM2

• rickfaldo
    edited July 2002
    Stubby: So, are you saying you think the volume loss problem is in the DVD player? Maybe you get what you pay for in DVD players....mine was pretty inexpensive, entry level unit. Have you tried other brands of DVD players to see if that solves the problem? Judging from some of the other replies, this low volume thing is across the board. I am in the process of upgrading my HT system and planned on getting a progressive scan DVD player anyway.
    Thanks
    Rick
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2002
    It depends on how loud you set up your 5.1 channels when you calibrate your system.
    I have a hunch that neither of u have even calibrated your 5.1 setups. Sound level meter at 80db. Most recievers are set at low db levels. It has nothing to do with the DVD player. If you have no ideal what I am talking about then I just found your problem. It's HT audio cal. 101. :cool:
  • rickfaldo
    edited July 2002
    Scott: Again, thanks for your help. I can't speak for Stubby, but I do own a SPL meter and did calibrate my setup. However, I don't own a calibration disk yet, soon to be rectified, but used the calibration included in my Integra receiver, which is likely just adequate. I set all my speakers to 80db using my usual "couch potato position." Still can't quite get my head around how low the range(volume) is in DVD mode even though you all have been so kind to try to explain it to me. As I said earlier, if I cranked up the volume "thingy" as far on cd's or digital cable as I need to in DVD mode, I'm sure I would be joining in on the "complaining neighbors forum." Obviously, I am not an audophile by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have sincere interest in learning.
    Cheers,
    Rick
    p.s. see, I do have a sense of humor
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2002
    Just trying to help - sarcasm aside. Maybe your problem will be rectified when you get your new DVD player. Good Luck! Welcome to the forum!
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2002
    Rick, to eliminate your avr, you may want to swap your dvd from the dvd in to say the cd in and see if the problem persists. If it does not change then look at the dvd player... load up a cd on the dvd player and see if that changed the line out of the dvd. since dvd players rely on software the problem could be in the decoder.

Just some thoughts? Good luck
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2002
    It varies from DVD to DVD, in my experience. Watching the DVD of the 1970's film "Network", I had to crank it way up--I ran it thru my HT in a box in various listening modes & then thru my Marantz 2-ch stereo rcvr w/bookshelf spkrs, and no matter what I did, it required cranking. But I think that it was probably a mono soundtrack remastered to DD 2.0 (the video didn't seem that great, either, altho I loved the movie). On the other hand, some DTS soundtracks are loud enuff to register on the Richter scale.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • stubby
    edited July 2002
    Rick,
    No, I'm saying it is the discs, not the player. If I play a CD in the DVD player, the CD is louder with more range. This varies from disc to disc but you can definitely tell a difference.
    I don't think my 5.1 is miscalibrated, I have but a meager 2 channel "theater".

Stubby
    SRS 3.1TL
    Anthem AVM2

• scottvamp
    edited July 2002
    , I have but a meager 2 channel "theater".
    This may be part of your "problem". Your missing a least 3 other speakers - not to mention a powered subwoffer. Most of your 5.1 sound is directed to your center channel. Your L/R front speakers only "fill" in the front stage. CD's are made for 2ch. output.:)
  • stubby
    edited July 2002
    Scott,
    My old DVD player only has outputs for 2 channels. It has no built-in decoder or 5.1 outputs. I have very good "center channel" fill as well as left to right. No holes in this soundstage. True, I am missing some speakers. Don't really need a sub, 1.2's are truly full range speakers.

Stubby
    SRS 3.1TL
    Anthem AVM2

• scottvamp
    edited July 2002
    Those are awesome speakers. I am just saying that there is no question that u are not even coming close to a HT experience with a 2 channel setup. You have to understand that all 6 to 8 speakers in a 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 properly calibrated setup are getting seperate freq. and discret soundtracks to bring an incredible movie experience. A powered sub. on a 5.1 recievers gives a totally different fill than a full range speaker. 2ch. rig with your speakers great. 2ch. DVD movie whatching -a entirerly different experience.;)
  • stubby
    edited July 2002
    Scott,
    I do understand what you are saying. A DVD player with true discrete outputs or an onboard decoder will send their signal only to their respective channel. If a DVD player has only a two channel output, it has no choice but to send the signal out those two channels, yes? It can't just leave out part of the signal, can it?

Stubby
    SRS 3.1TL
    Anthem AVM2

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited July 2002
    I have very good "center channel" fill as well as left to right. No holes in this soundstage. True, I am missing some speakers. Don't really need a sub, 1.2's are truly full range speakers.

If he heard your setup, he would probably forget what 5.1 is? 1.2's........oh yah:D
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2002
    Hey, as long as your happy with your setup, that is all that counts.:)
    I am not sure that there is a center channel that would perfectly match with your two 1.2's (Power and freq.)but it must be pretty sweet.:eek:
  • stubby
    edited July 2002
    Scott,
    You're probably right about finding a perfect match in a center channel. Guess I could lay an RTA 15TL on it's side! Now that would be a center! But all seriousness aside. I am slowly aquiring the pieces for a true HT. Maybe I'll have all the parts when we get a new house for all this stuff. One big enough to support a 2 chan. and HT.
    Nascarmann,
    You wouldn't believe the people who get up and look for more speakers than the two they see in front of them. And I have had one person make me turn off the TV while watching a movie just to make sure there was no sound "coming from the TV". They had never experienced true stereo. Lots of fun.

Stubby
    SRS 3.1TL
    Anthem AVM2

• PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited July 2002
    did you check the sound set up in your DVD menu?, most DVD have the sound level set up for each of the channel, you can raise all up or independently and it will make the different...but I know for sure that analog connection does tend to reduce the volume a little bit...