RTi12 sounds dull......

Options
aznknightz
aznknightz Posts: 8
edited September 2005 in Troubleshooting
Yesterday i was playing with a karaoke mixer, i guess i turned the microphone on while standing near the speaker, the whole system made a very loud high pitch sound. After that the music sounds dull and the speaker now mostly give out mid and low sound. I wonder if this would have caused the tweeter to blow or is it the driver or the cross over, i'm not so sure which is it. I drive the RTi12s with a pair of parasound (600w each). Do you know where i can order these components from. Thanks in advance, i would greatly appreciate any comments.
Post edited by aznknightz on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2005
    Options
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • landry_p2000
    landry_p2000 Posts: 1,313
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I had blown my tweeters from making my Onkyo "clip", and I called the "800" customer service number. I shipped the blown tweets to Polk Audio, and soon after they sent me a new set. I love the customer service center at Polk Audio. They are very professional and courteous. Give them a call. I am not sure how fast of a response you will get if you e-mail them, but over the phone service was prompt. The toll free number is in the link provided by Shack. Hope you get those tweets replaced ASAP, because I went crazy without my RTi10s.

Landry
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hello,
    All you need do is remove the non-working tweeters (use a 9/64th Allen wrench) and send them to Polk Audio, 2550 Britannia Blvd., Suite A, San Diego, CA. 92154. Please inlcude a short note giving us your name, address and a copy of your sales receipt.
    Regards, Ken
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited September 2005
    Options
    speak of the devil...
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Eeek!

Don't mean to derail anything but...

Kenneth are we suppose to keep our sales receipt on all the speakers we bought? I registered all my Polks on your site with the day I purchased them and from who. If they are registered in your database is it necessary to have the receipt? I sure hope not since it may not be an easy exercise to dig them up.

Just checking before I have a real problem,
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • aznknightz
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hello,
    All you need do is remove the non-working tweeters (use a 9/64th Allen wrench) and send them to Polk Audio, 2550 Britannia Blvd., Suite A, San Diego, CA. 92154. Please inlcude a short note giving us your name, address and a copy of your sales receipt.
    Regards, Ken

Thanks for replying, but i don't have the receipt. Does polk sells the tweeter?
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Yes, Polk does have the tweeters for sale. Call the customer service number and tell them you are a Club Polk member. This gives you a discount on the actual tweeters and shipping.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hello,
    It is always best to keep track of all of the sales receipts for any purchase over a certain amount. The product registration shouldn't be thought of as a substitute for having a sales receipt. Rather it is a way, if ever necessary, for us to contact all of the owners of the LSiW, for example. It also allows owners to ask questions and make observations via the comments section. If you don't have your sales receipt and the store, who sold it to you, doesn't have it the service department can look at the registration information. Just mention that it was registered through us.
    Regards, Ken
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Ken,

Thanks for your advice. I will go ahead and locate all the receipts I know I can dig up (i.e., 7 out of the 9 Polks I own should have receipts available) and file them away. I definitely don't want anything to happen to, what I consider, some of my best purchases.
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • aznknightz
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I tested the tweeters using a different source, both tweeters seem to work fine. Now I suspect that the either the crossover or something else, i wish i know.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hello,
    Just to cover all of the bases, the binding post jumper plates are in position on the speaker's binding posts, correct?
    Ken
  • aznknightz
    edited September 2005
    Options
    yes!
    Hello,
    Just to cover all of the bases, the binding post jumper plates are in position on the speaker's binding posts, correct?
    Ken
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hello,
    That would mean that the crossovers were damaged. You would have to remove all of the speaker components, tweeters, drivers and bass units and disconnect their wires. The crossover is on the other side of the input plate, by taking out the screws holding the input plate on the back it will pull forward away from the cabinet. Since the 12 has a separate upper and lower enclosure the wires will pass through a hole in the separating piece of wood. We use a gummy material to plug the hole after the wire is in place. It might be a good idea to make a drawing of the connections and the path each pair of wires takes from the crossover to the individual tweeters and drivers. Send us the crossovers to the San Diego address and we'll quickly send replacements.
    Ken
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,882
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Customer service at it's best
  • aznknightz
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Thanks Ken for the helpful informations, but would i get the replacement if i don't have a receipt for the speakers?

Hello,
    That would mean that the crossovers were damaged. You would have to remove all of the speaker components, tweeters, drivers and bass units and disconnect their wires. The crossover is on the other side of the input plate, by taking out the screws holding the input plate on the back it will pull forward away from the cabinet. Since the 12 has a separate upper and lower enclosure the wires will pass through a hole in the separating piece of wood. We use a gummy material to plug the hole after the wire is in place. It might be a good idea to make a drawing of the connections and the path each pair of wires takes from the crossover to the individual tweeters and drivers. Send us the crossovers to the San Diego address and we'll quickly send replacements.
    Ken
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hello,
    Where were they purchased?
    Ken
  • aznknightz
    edited September 2005
    Options
    directly from polkaudio accommodations webstore.
    Hello,
    Where were they purchased?
    Ken
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hello,
    Just mention that in the accompanying note.
    Ken
  • aznknightz
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hello,
    Just mention that in the accompanying note.
    Ken

Thanks Ken, I really appreciate your help.
  • aznknightz
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I have one more question before sending it to polkaudio. I opened the back, and i noticed there are 2 circuit board, one with the 3 subwoofers connecting to it, and the other has the tweeter and the mid speakers. My question is, do i send everything or can i just send the board with the tweeter connecting to it?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hello,
    Just the one connected to the tweeters.
    Ken