Long HDMI cables

rscamer
rscamer Posts: 70
I have a projector with dvi input , my dvd player is dying and was going to buy one with hdmi output. Problem is I will need 45 feet of cable to my projector.If I get a 50 foot hdmi to hdmi cable then put a hdmi to dvi adapter will I get a great picture? or will I get sparklies I've heard about with the older dvi to dvi cables? these cables also cost a fortune and found a cable for a reasonable price made by stellar labs. Any one have any experience with this manufacturer?
Post edited by rscamer on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited September 2005
    I have no experience with Stellar Labs but have experience with Key Digital cables and video switchers. Key digital makes really high quality video cables of basically any length you need . There quality is top notch.

http://www.keydigital.com/

We use them on all our custom jobs. I have ran there cabls to Plasmas as well with stellar results.

Good luck with your project

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • rscamer
    rscamer Posts: 70
    edited September 2005
    Just got a quote from key $500 us that would be a fortune in Canadian!
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited September 2005
    RS, although you might not be happy with the answer, your question about "getting a great picture" can't be answered with much certainty. Three items in the home will affect this: the strength of the output from the player; the loss in the connecting cable; the sensitivity and processing of the display device. The cable would generally be the least significant of the three. For a good discussion of the factors affecting the HDTV picture study this.

As to the cost of an HDMI cable which might be suitable, note that a lower-loss 49 foot 24ga cable is available here for about $70 U.S. If the source and display components are adequate, it's been said that a 24ga HDMI cable is adequate up to around 50 feet. Spending hundreds of dollars on the cable isn't necessary.
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited September 2005
    I bought the 50ft Key Digital and I use it in conjunction with a DVI/HDMI converter with excellent results. I bought mine from this place " http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Cables/kdhdmi.asp " Had to wait because it was out of stock, but worth the extra money for the quality. My 50 ft run is parallel with my speaker wire, cable and audio runs with no glitches.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited September 2005
    It's amazing how so many online companies use custom wire to build there wire. basically you just buying the wire and someones labor to put it together.

I build these kinds of cables everyday. At the price most are asking like Blue jeans and signal cable, there good quality cables.

I wonder how they get into bussiness? I could start up one of these online wire companies , give it a catchy name and make some money.....

Good luck with your cable,

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.