Velodyne Subs

GuitarheadCA
GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
edited June 2002 in Speakers
Does anyone out there own a SPL or an HGS Velo?

Reading the stats on the HGS 10 had me quite interested, but I started looking at reviews and tons of people were having problems with them. Between the servo making noise, amps blowing out, humming noises, no one seemed to be happy with them. Everyone said they sounded great, but wern't reliable.

Also considering an SPL 1000. Much less complaints, much higher ratings on reviews. Many people still raving about sound quality and output.

Anyone have any experience with either? The difference in price doesn't really bother me, I'd be willing to pay more for a better sub.

Thanks,
GuitarheadCA
Post edited by GuitarheadCA on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited June 2002
    GuitarheadCa,
    If your looking at a small sub with tons of punch,Look into Bob Carver's sunfire sub's.They are amazing.I demo'd them awhile back as my partener wanted a smaller sub(I thought the psw1200 was mine for sure,he owns it currently)He looked at the super junior and true sub, then they had this new line of subs called the Architectual line.I didn't really care for them after demoing the true sub....man let me tell you about that sub.That little thing shook the entire store,the roof,the racks in other room's and sounded clean and clear.For theater it was deadly,for music it was quick and natural,not as good as the Rel line but doing a hell of a job in a small cabnet.
    My partner didn't buy it as I was dissapointed in his quest.I wanted that pws1200 and he just won't give it up.**** he is.
    Check out the Sunfire sub's and then Rel.
    Buy the way, they had the Velodyne sub's there,Spl and HGS.I didn't care for either.The Sunfire killed them dead.
    Velodyne makes or use to make super sub's, today they are trying to make sub's alot smaller and aren't as good as it as other companies.
    Thats my take on todays Velodyne compared to others on the market.
    Get your demo on and check out these sub's...forget the spec's...listen to your ears and your ****.It will feel the right sub for you.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2002
    Have you taken a look at the SVS Subwoofers?

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • GuitarheadCA
    edited June 2002
    Well, I must confess, the Carver and SVS subs look nice, but the reason I was interested in Velodyne is because I have an opportunity to buy them at cost. I've heard the CHT line a ton, and they don't do much for me. I was wondering if the SPL and HGS were a whole lot better. The closest dealer is 50 miles away, so I plan to go listen to them, but first I wanted to see if anyone had anything to say. Of course, I'll go with what sounds best, but just looking for some opinions

GuitarheadCA
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited June 2002
    they are much better then the cht line.The cht line is horrible if you ask my I can't believe Velodyne put there name on that sub line,but hey everybody got to make money somehow.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • GuitarheadCA
    edited June 2002
    So then, am I to assume that if they're much better than the CHT line, they are also much better than the polk line also?
  • GuitarheadCA
    edited June 2002
    Well, Today I drove out to a retailer and listened to the SPL line. To be honest, I liked the sound of the 8" the best. I thought it was really clean and punchy. You're right Mantis, Much better than the CHT line. I listen to about 90% music so the speed of an 8" will probably be more useful to me than a 12" being able to relocate my couch.
    If I need more volume, I'll may just buy two of them:D

Anyway, still hoping to get any views if anyone owns any of these subs.

GuitarheadCA
  • dan t
    dan t Posts: 206
    edited June 2002