Rti70's demo'd today for fun!!

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
edited June 2002 in Speakers
My wife wanted a radio for the kitchen as I don't have multiroom audio there like the masterbed.I tried to tell her to wait untill we move as I'm doing whole house audio and video in the new house.She wanted music out there now,so with out running wires and buying a pair of In wall or In ceiling,We went to CC as they had these radios for sale.Colored stupid thing's and she was in her glory.I was bored with the wife upgrade and desided to check out the new Polk's,I had nothing better to do.They have this room off there listening room and TV area labeled Home theater room.Its a stand alone system, no switchers and no other speaker but the ones in the system.
The LSI70's where sitting there,funny no new center but a cs400i,new rears and the PSW450 sub running off a HK I think a avr7000 was the model number or something like that.
You know what???they didn't sound bad.The salesman said they have been on the floor for awhile and been playing alot as everybody likes them.
I sat and listened to some jazz peice and was shocked that I was actually getting a descent demo at CC...how funny.I honestly didn't think they sounded bad at all,They are an Improvement over the last 2 models.They are the warmest of the 3.I felt they blended better then ever.I can see other 800 series fans loving them.Nice job Polk,needed upgrade.They look good 2.The new cabnet is nice.the speakers look exactly the same except the tweeter.
The sound is much better then any 800 demo i ever had.If you are looking for a cheap pair of floor standing's under a grand,they aren't a bad place to start.
Now what about an upgrade 55 series????I bet if the rti70's are that much better, then they must scream.They need to get them out,if they are going to replace them.I would buy a pair for a porch closed in or a garage setup off the main system.Not bad at all.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited June 2002
    Mantis,

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I think the 70's sound noticably better than the 800's. I happen to quite like the new tweeter; and between the new tweeter and crossover, I think they sound much more open and transparent than the 800s. I think the black looks okay, but the cherry looks sweet. I think the same goes for the entire new RT line compared to the old one. I think it was a great upgrade.

GuitarheadCA
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    You know I never liked that line the 800 series.But damn they got my attention.I thought about them and I came to determine that with better amps I bet they would make a real nice 2 channel rig speaker on a budget.
    I just might pick up a pair for the hell of it.I plan on a family room down in the basement,they might find a home there instead of inwalls like I orginally planned.
    How funny is that for a twist of fate, me actually liking a 800 series speaker,man how times have changed.I got to take a break from demoing things.
    Dan
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited June 2002
    Which do you like better the RT55i or the RTi70?
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    Charlie,

You need to be thinking about handling up on those local DQ's....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited June 2002
    The DQ owner has not replyed to my email yet. I will go and check them out if he will let me. Did you see how many of them are for sale on ebay?

The DQ 10 and the denon....sounds like a good match

I have two set of 55s I can upgrade at CC until july.

Planned setups at the new house.

HT: Onkyo 595
    Pana rp91 DVD
    Center CS400i
    Fronts RT 55i
    rears RT 2452 (2)
    Sub PSW 350 x 2

2ch: Denon PRA1100
    Denon POA 2400a
    Denon DCD 590
    A - speakers RT55i
    B - speakers RT55i

Garage rig: Adcom GTP 400
    Adcom GFA 535
    CD unknown at this time....
    RT35i

• mantis
    edited June 2002
    I didn't hear both speakers side by side but the new rti70's are real nice for the money.
    Dan
  • vicentre
    vicentre Posts: 23
    edited June 2002
    Mantis,
    IYO, how do you compare the RTi70's to the RT1000's, i'm thinking bout trading in the powered towers. They are great for hometheater but i feel they are lacking in 2 channel.
    Home Theater Man Cave

Display-Samsung PN60E550 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR809 | Sources-OPPO BDP-103, PS3, Apple TV | Speakers-PolkAudio; mains-RTiA7, center-CSiA6, surrounds-RTi70, back surrounds-RTi38 | Sub-SVS PB-1000 | Sennheiser HD-650 headphones | Schiit Audio Vahalla Headphone Amp | Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable | Musical Fidelity V-LPS Mk II Phono Amp with upgraded power supply | Monster MP HTS 1600 power center
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    I'm not sure on that,
    You can with time and efford get the rt1000i's to sound pretty good.Compared what I heard at CC,My setup destroys it.I own better cable and I feel Denon mates better with Polk rt series better then the rest of the 1200.00 and under receivers do.Hard to say.
    I would answer that question this way,
    I like the fact that they are passive,bi wirable,and built really well.The sound quality was clean clear and lost some if not all of the muddy tones that the older 800 series speaker had in my opnion.They also blend slighty better in the mid range compared to the 800's.
    Powered towers require extra time in set up to get them performing well.All speaker take alot of time to set up for max performance.But powered towers you got to go that extra mile or 3 to get them right.
    Before you go trading up for the new ones try lowering your sub level and repositioning.I run mine at 9 oclock slighty above the 9 oclock mark.I feel in my room with my setup this works and sounds like a passive tower,only on some music to they sounded forced like most powered towers do.
    The biggest problem with powered towers isn't in the design,its a good Idea,but a mother fu.... to set up.Patience is key.

For me as a personal question if Id choose the new rti70's over the rt1000p's I own now,and it was 3+ years ago,I would pick the rti70's for alot of reasons.If you read some of my older posts on feelings towards my speakers,youll understand where I coming from.
    Dan