PSW505 volume starts to cuts out

Options
speced2000
speced2000 Posts: 2
edited August 2005 in Troubleshooting
Question on a problem I'm having with a PSW505. This sub was working great for a long while, but now for some reason it won't go above a certain volume (about 40% of the way). When I try to put the volume above the 40% level, it starts to fade out quickly and then cuts out completely right about the 50% mark.

I'm sure my neighbors love the fact that I can't really pump the system and rattle the windows, but I'm puzzled as to why my sub cuts out above a certain volume level.

Also, when I switch components or sound formats, there is a audible boom that emanates from the sub. It never used to do this before and I'm thinking it's related to the other problem I'm having. It's not loud, but it's very noticeable.

My set up is as follows:

Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi
Satellite Speakers: Polk RM6700
Sub: Polk PSW505

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Post edited by speced2000 on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,103
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Sounds like an amp issue.

Contact Ken Swauger (moderator of this forum)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2005
    Options
    How is your bass management on the receiver set up?
  • speced2000
    speced2000 Posts: 2
    edited August 2005
    Options
    PolkThug wrote:
    How is your bass management on the receiver set up?

Right now, I've got everything set at defaults in the normal speaker setting. Setting the channel level on the sub to a higher setting (say +3 to +5 db on a max +10 scale) allows me to compensate for the lack of greater volume, but it tends to make the bass too heavy. I've tried hooking up another sub that I have (admittedly a crappy Sony one that I use in one of the guest rooms) and it seems to work fine.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited August 2005
    Options
    i hear about polk subs breaking down all the freaking time on this forum. ALL the time. What gives?
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Hello,
    It is possible the sub-woofer amplifier is going into a protection mode. When you say, "40%" do you mean you have the sub-woofer's level control set to the 1:00 o'clock or 2:00 o'clock position? Also, you want to make sure there is plenty of air flow near where the back of the sub-woofer is.
    The sound you hear when you make changes on the receiver could be the result of having small amounts of DC (direct current) present at one of the other components that is connected to the receiver. Try this, remove all of the audio/video components that are connected to your receiver, leave the speakers, sub-woofer and FM antenna connected. Make several changes on the receiver's input selector to dissipate any stray DC. Then, one-at-a-time re-connect your other audio components and listen to see if the popping sound has returned. If it does that means that that particular audio or video components has DC current at its output. Then when you connect it to the receiver, this DC current is now present on the receiver's input circuitry. When you make a change to the receiver the DC is discharged and you hear the pop. Whichever component it is will have to be serviced.
    Regards, Ken