Stacking your Polks?

Options
OrangeToupee
OrangeToupee Posts: 488
edited June 2002 in Speakers
Decided to join the few, the proud, the stackers tonight. Not running them (RT800i's & RT35i's with the 35's upside down) 'in series' or 'in parallel,' simply A-B'ing them. I must say that while the sound is slightly less coherent, I really like the bigger stage I've got. It's a bigger sound and that's pretty cool, yeah, a little more 'real.'
Post edited by OrangeToupee on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited June 2002
    Options
    What does that mean???You lost me.
    Are you comparing them to each other....A vs B???
    Are you running them at the same time???
    Explain the bigger stage you got.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • OrangeToupee
    edited June 2002
    Options
    A & B are both running simultaneously. My mains are now about 5' tall and come up to the exact same height as my television perched CS400i. The 2 tweets create a much larger vocal presence and the speakers being so tall puts you a few feet below the stage, not unlike an actual live show. It's also a bit disjointed, they're not crossed over to work in this capacity, but I like it anyway. Bigger is better sometimes. Plus it looks cool. I might experiment with 'series' and 'parallel' wire configurations at some point, just to see what happens.
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Hi OT:

Try the 800s and the 35s side by side, about 3" apart, the 35s on stands and almost level with the 800s. Connect them in parallel and let me know what you think.

Gary:p
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited June 2002
    Options
    OrangeToupee, I have my rt1000's stacked with new rt35i's and I agree with what you have found. Look very cool, wider stage. I had them in parallel and while the sound was stronger and more aggressive my Onkyo got to hot (not recommended). I have them in series and my reciever stays nice and cool. Not as much power and detail. I have to crank the volume up a 15% more. I am still quite happy with the sound and look. But if I had a strong -clean 4ohm power amp to run a 2ch setup --this IS the way to go for the $. :cool:
  • OrangeToupee
    edited June 2002
    Options
    "Try the 800s and the 35s side by side, about 3" apart, the 35s on stands and almost level with the 800s. Connect them in parallel and let me know what you think. " -- sgtgto

~~ Are the 35i's on the inside or the outside of the 800i's? Just curious.

"I have my rt1000's stacked with new rt35i's and I agree with what you have found. Look very cool, wider stage. I had them in parallel and while the sound was stronger and more aggressive my Onkyo got to hot (not recommended). I have them in series and my reciever stays nice and cool. Not as much power and detail. I have to crank the volume up a 15% more. I am still quite happy with the sound and look. But if I had a strong -clean 4ohm power amp to run a 2ch setup --this IS the way to go for the $. " -- scottvamp

~~ I'm guessing that my Denon 2802 would be similarly strained running in parallel. I will give series a shot and see what happens; it's likely that we'll have almost exact scenarios.

I'm thinking of getting another (I have one) Velo CT-120 and maybe even trying to stack the 800i/35i combo on top of the subs. Then I'd have roughly 6'6" front mains; I wonder if that would hold up?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Dude, CT120, rt800, rt35 stacked? Is this audio or friggin lincoln logs? ;)

The original stacks, Advent, Infinity and the like, were idenitcal speakers, driven by older high power amps/receivers (ie, Sansui, Marantz). I wouldn't expect too much from a 'modern' receiver, no matter how you wire em....

I have a pair of Qb's stacked (3-way sealed with a 10" Watkins, 4.5" Phillips, and Emit ribbon in each), and even with 201 sweet clean Carver watts per channel (rms), I can tell the amp is working its **** off.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • OrangeToupee
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Russ, I like my speakers to go up to the ceiling. Also, there's a used Bryston 4b in my zip code that I'm stalking. That should supply enough juice for my home theater mains.
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Hi:

I am using a B&K three channel amp up front, L and R are 340W channel into 4ohms. I took a temperature measurement of the amp before the parallel hookup and after and did not notice any appreciable change. The amps doing just fine.

Gary