System planning

neomagus00
neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
edited August 2005 in Custom Fabrication
so, inspired by an '05 mustang, i'm mentally designing a subwoofer setup for myself. probably won't happen until late next summer, but it's always good to dream :p.

so the idea goes like this: MODULAR subwoofers! the mustang had the backseat taken over by a fiberglass monstrosity, but it looked cool and probably worked a lot better than a trunk-based sub. so, this is a good thing, the bad part being that you lose your back seats.

i carry people on occasion, so a permanent installation isn't really an option. but, what if i built a structure to hold a premade subwoofer module and mounted that permanently in the back in such a way that the rear bench is still useable. without passengers, i can bolt a couple pieces in, drop in the sub modules, and drive off with my rear-seat subs. need to carry passengers? no problem - remove the modules, disassemble the temporary section of the frame (using no more than a wrench and three minutes of time), store the frame in the trunk, and install the sub modules into a similar permanent frame in the trunk!

whaddya think?

possibles for the actual subs, probably a pair of 12s, but size restrictions might make that a pair of 10s:
JL Audio w7 (i'll be auditioning a pair of 8s installed in a bmw ASAP)
Eclipse Titanium (not pro, but tighter than a teenage... well, they sound really good)
Adire Brahma (just cause, but i'm falling off of adire now that they've gone to dealers)
Image Dynamics IDMAX (to make vince happy)
Diamond Audio D9 (i lusted after the tdx)
Elemental Designs Ov.2 (HAHA made you look)
It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
Post edited by neomagus00 on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    two words - well 3 words - "too much work"
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited August 2005
    Man I am sweating from reading this :). Would be nice though.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    Im kinda with PBD, seems like it would be more trouble than its worth. Damn creative tho.

What happens when its raining and youre running out to the car with your passengers. They gonna stand out in the rain whilst you disassemble your subs? ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    yes... yes they are :)

but that is an excellent point about the passengers... even more so about the weather, it's likely that such a setup would require me to put the roof down to do the assembly... and, since i'll have dual 31-band eqs put in at the same time, i'd have to have separate curves for the two setups... perhaps i should look into it not as a mobile solution, but as a daily driver/show setup... replace the backseat for a show, keep em in the trunk for reality...

so, ignoring all that, which sub?

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    yo yo yo - you GOTZ ta GETZ the double dub dawg.

dubya dubya dubya - dot - da duby dub - dot condom.

translated for other persons.

"perhaps you should look at the new 'the 22' ... www - dot - the22 - dot com."
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    no, i think the 22 is retarded as far as reality goes, too, but i also like to imagine and design and wonder what things would be like, and as this is my most recent idea, i'll run with it till i get bored :)

• hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited August 2005
    if u want to do something different, use a whole bunch of smaller drivers, i saw this on philjonesbass.com, the idea is to have a stronger motor force by sheer number, although they do use horn loaded cabs, and i dont know how well they work in a car
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    the whole bunch of smaller drivers would be cool, cause you can get the same SPL at smaller excursion, which increases SQ (the people present exhibit number one, the McIntosh line arrays) , but i can see the cost/benefit ratio skyrocketing, if i tried to use a dozen midbasses instead of 2 12s... unless i'm seeing wrong?

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2005
    if you get the w7 for more than $400 fully authorized, im never going to talk to you again.

but yea, that sounds like a lot of work...you should get a bunch of RE8s...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    if you can get the w7 for me for less that $400 fully authorised, i'll pay ya for it :D. (no, really, i would)...

and i like my little re8, cept it's breaking, which angers me... the surround attaches to the frame under a foam gasket, and the gasket is peeling off, bringing the surround with it... so now i have to build a new box for it to mount it all special-like to hold that gasket down...

• hellohello
    edited August 2005
    well, yeah, unless u buy the midbasses in bulk,then u might get a discount. :)

• hellohello
    edited August 2005
    since I made the suggestion, i went and looked around for different drivers, just cause you suggested a dozen drivers :)
    12 of these would be 500 or so
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-832&scqty=12
    bout 200 for 12 of these
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-305&scqty=12
    bout 550 for 12 of these
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-545&scqty=12
    and these are psychotic
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=297-574

• neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    hellohello wrote:
    no, you're the psychotic one...

just for **** and giggles, though, i'll play around with winisd and see what i can get those setups to do...

• hellohello
    edited August 2005
    neomagus00 wrote:
    no, you're the psychotic one...
    Why thank you for noticing :D;)

I only said they were crazy cause it says they have 96db of sensitivity... i wonder at what frequency that is

• PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    they're also 4 bills each for a 70 watt speaker... not worth it.

the dayton quatro's you posted that are 150 rms are much more practical, and dayton is actually a pretty decent speaker. it's nothing i'd want to put in my car unless i was doing 4 15" ground pounders, but they're a respectable speaker for the kind of multi driver project you're considering.

tang bang and what not are scrap.
  • hellohello
    edited August 2005
    u dont like the Tang Band?
    i remember being told tang band were good, i forget who said it, but it was back in another thread... to each his own i guess
    bad experience?

• PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    eh... i suppose each company has its "good" line and its "entry level" line - but every single replacement driver i ever got that was a tang bang (usually 4" subwoofers for use in little computer speaker deals - i think i gave them a chance 3 times) was a hunk of crap and i ended up throwing them out. i dont really know what tang bang's better stuff is like though, but i just have a bad gut feeling about them.
  • hellohello
    edited August 2005
    well, a bad experience is experience, so ill take it as such. Good thing I asked.
    Are u really gonna try it in WinISD neo, cause i downloaded WinISD, but there seems to be a good amount of learning curve.. Im sure ill figure it out in time, when i have time

• neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    yeah, once i get a little bit of time, i'll model something... WinISD is a very steep learning curve, but not terribly long; once you get the hang of it, it's a great little program...