RM7600 Mounting Advice

mattm10
mattm10 Posts: 2
Hello, I've enjoyed reading posts in this forum for several days now. It's been very fun and informative. It has become part of my daily routine. I now add to the entertainment:

How should I mount my speakers for the RM7600 set I recently purchased? Should I use the recommended ceiling-to-back mounts? If so how far off the front wall should the front speakers be? Or should I use the integral wall mounts and hang them directly off the front wall? For the rear speakers, should they hang from the ceiling too or mount to the side walls?

Also, my home is prewired for home theater with the wires up in the ceiling near each speaker location. How do I run these wires to the speakers? Do I drop the wires through a hole in the ceiling and wire directly to the speaker? Or do I install a binding post receptacle in the ceiling and run wire from there to my speaker?

I'm not sure which way to go on either of these issues. Any input would be most appreciated.
Yamaha RX-V3200
Toshiba SD5700
Polk RM7600
Toshiba 57HX81
Post edited by mattm10 on

Comments

• sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited June 2002
    Welcome Matt:

If this were mine I would mount the front speakers in front on stands about ear level, the center on top of the tv, and the rears on the side walls left and right of your listening position.

As far as the speaker wire, for the front and center, I would bring them down the wall and out with a trim plate or insert slightly below the level of the binding posts.

The rears can be connected by bringing the wire out of the ceiling above the respective speaker. I would connect the wire directly to the speaker. The less connections the better.

I would try the sub to the right of the rt main and out from the wall about a foot. Try it there and see how you like it.

Gary
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited June 2002
    I've got the RM7600 also. I have the fronts on stands at ear level. The center is below the tv (I have a tall tv stand). The rears are mounted on the back wall about two feet over ear level. The PSW650 is on the right, turned sideways with one sub firing foward and one back. I'm sure it's not the perfect setup but I dig it, and it makes my roommate look at me with that "We're going to get evicted" look :)
  • Handyhaver
    Handyhaver Posts: 66
    edited June 2002
    I also have the RM7600 and have mine set up as follows:

Fronts are mounted on stands (custom made) because I have a corner set up and don't have 2 walls to mount them on. Center is on top of tv (also kinda high) tilted down towards listening level.
    My sub is towards the back along a wall (not exactly where I wanted it but very spousal friendly) with my rears mounted about 6.5' high in both rear corners . I picked up a couple of cheap corner shelves from homedepot and have them set the sats at a 45* angle in the corner. I am very limited for now with my setup. I need to finish the basement for optimal placement along with expanding to a 7.1 channel set up.

I am very happy with the sound of these sats (for now). I have noticed the rears, mounted in the corner have a fuller, richer sound with the walls behind them. When I get the basement done, all the sats will be wall mounted (maybe even the center). Polk reccomends this type of mounting for these speakers and you can really hear the difference. Try some placement experiments and you should be able to hear the difference for yourself.

Mark
    You can check out any time you like..,
    but you can never leave...........
  • mattm10
    mattm10 Posts: 2
    edited June 2002
    Thanks a lot for your replies. I'll try to tackle it this weekend. I really would like to hear these things blast - just lots other things going on right now.

Thanks again,
    Matt
    Yamaha RX-V3200
    Toshiba SD5700
    Polk RM7600
    Toshiba 57HX81