speaker question

Options
egp823
egp823 Posts: 74
edited July 2005 in Troubleshooting
For the past month 3 of my amps conked out yamaha m70 (transformer problem), onkyo integra 817 (pre-amp transistor problem) and sansui AU-607 ( no sound on left channel) . Am geeting paranois as this is the first time this happened. According to technician my CRS speaker might be the culprit . Is this possible? If yes, how do i check the speakers? I have changed all the drivers and the tweets on the CRS+ about 6 mos ago. IPresently using a Yamaha mx 530 integrated and so far no problem. Am really having second thoughts on using my amp for fear that it might conk out again. Thank you for any advise
Post edited by egp823 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Try newer amps.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• egp823
    egp823 Posts: 74
    edited July 2005
    Options
    How do I check that my speakers are working fine? Am really planning to purchase a new amp but I have to be sure that speaker is not the problem. tks
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Hello,
    If you can send me your "snail" mail address I can send you an SDA check-out sheet. You can use this to determine if your SDA speakers are working properly. The first part involves listening tests and the second part would require some simple DC resistance measurements. You may email me your address at kswauger@polkaudio.com.
    You indicate that one amplifier problem was pre-amp transistor related, if so it would be difficult to attribute that to a speaker problem. The pre-amp section is pretty far "up-stream" in your electronic chain, doubtful that the speaker could be a factor. The worst thing a speaker can present to an amplifier is a dead short. Most amplifiers have ways of protecting themselves against a dead short, some don't. There are some amplifiers that can produce up to 50 Amperes and can actually arc weld aluminum, as shown in a test report. Others are less "hefty".
    Regards, Ken