xbox 360

Options
marcpam
marcpam Posts: 228
edited July 2005 in Video Games
does anyone know if the xbox 360 games will support 7.1 surround or will it be just 5.1?
Post edited by marcpam on

Comments

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I believe I saw something saying it will just do 6.1 if you have a 6.1 channel DVD playing, and games will be 5.1.

I also believe I saw the PS3 might have the ability to do 7.1. I don't think it would ever be mandatory for the game makers to record everything in 7.1 though.

Either way, I don't see 7.1 being a big deal on either console.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I can't see the sound engineers (if game producers use one) utilizing it at all, or enough to create much of a notable effect.
  • Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Heck most games don't do a great job with 5.1 anyways, Soul Caliber 2 anyone?
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited July 2005
    Options
    First, there's no such thing as 7.1 discrete for the home market. Yet. The closest thing you have is Dolby EX which technically is 5.1 with a prologic- based rear center and DTS-ES DISCRETE which technically is a 6.1.

Logic-7 and Dolby Prologic IIx are quasi-7.1- meaning they decode incoming 2.0 or 5.1 signals into an analog 7.1- but it is not a totally discrete 7.1 source.

If the systems support 5.1- as i'm sure they would- then using Dolby Prologic IIx or Logic 7 on a receiver to decode it is the closest thing you can get to 7.1; and that's not a bad thing.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • bknauss
    edited July 2005
    Options
    There is the ability to have discrete 7.1 with any receiver that has 8 analog inputs.
    Brian Knauss
  • aaharvel
    edited July 2005
    Options
    double posted. sorry.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • aaharvel
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by bknauss
    There is the ability to have discrete 7.1 with any receiver that has 8 analog inputs.

well what's it called then? Dolby Digital EX Plus? DTS es Super Discrete? I'm not discrediting you per-say I would just like to know what it's called so I can trade my receiver in. ;)

The closest thing to I have ever heard that is an original encoding process from the studios that comes close to 7.1 is DTS-ES discrete; and that's 6.1 spanned across two rear channels.

XBOX games or any games that are mixed in Dolby Digital or DTS is 5.1. No games have been mixed in discrete 7.1 yet because it doesn't exist- at least for consumer goods. Prologic IIx and Logic 7 do not count- they build upon the ORIGINAL 2.0, 5.1 or 6.1 mix to spread the sound to a quasi 7.1 setup aka the original prologic with a center speaker.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

• bknauss
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I never said there's a format in 7.1. There definitely is the ability to record 7.1. And given the proper hardware and software, using 8 analog outputs from the source, you can get the discrete 7.1 signal onto a receiver that has 8 analog inputs.

Given the amount of ifs/buts/assumptions/candy/nuts I just listed, you can see why MS didn't really consider it, and why Sony is only claiming to have the ability to do it. That's nice Sony... go ahead and build a console with features most of us will never be able to use during this generation.
    Brian Knauss
  • aaharvel
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by bknauss
    I never said there's a format in 7.1. There definitely is the ability to record 7.1. And given the proper hardware and software, using 8 analog outputs from the source, you can get the discrete 7.1 signal onto a receiver that has 8 analog inputs.

Given the amount of ifs/buts/assumptions/candy/nuts I just listed, you can see why MS didn't really consider it, and why Sony is only claiming to have the ability to do it. That's nice Sony... go ahead and build a console with features most of us will never be able to use during this generation.

+1
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable