Options
2»

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD
    Now, if it were ultimate convenience we were after, why not ditch all this stuff and play hook up our computers or ipods or what have you??

BDT

This would be the ultimate convenience as long as it's all lossless. Once you put a lossy format in the equation, at least for me, the convenience goes out the door. I hear ya BDT, but I still feel digital offers some advantages over analog. Digital is also like analog in the sense you have to work a little bit to get the best out of it.

Will analog ever have the attributes of digital? NO....Will digital ever have the attributes of analog? NO....It's all in the ears of the beholder :D It's still more about the source recording than the format, most of the time :D

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Another good point.

Hey, I'm just trying to start a good, intelligent discussion.....
    BDT

Ooops! Sorry :o I have a problem being serious and intelligent after a few brewskis ;)
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    I've heard TONS of stuff on vinyl that you just can't find on cd. GREAT peices of music, that would be all but forgotten if I didn't have a table setup - THAT my audio friends, is reason enough to at least setup a gruntball vinyl rig.
    For me.....the only reason I still have a TT. I still have a sizeable library of very good LPs that aren't available on CD.
    It's not overall better, or worse. It's different, and worth listening to.
    A valid point...and IMO is why many get into vinyl. They have taken a digital source as far as it can go and are looking for something "different".
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I've heard TONS of stuff on vinyl that you just can't find on cd. GREAT peices of music, that would be all but forgotten if I didn't have a table setup -

I agree with Russman on the availability of some music. My deceased step father had a jazz and blues collection, at last count somewhere around 1200 albums that contains music that will never be put on CD. I'll probably never get through all of them in my lifetime. It would be a shame not to have ever heard some of it.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Here is an excellent article!

http://www.recordtech.com/prodsounds.htm

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • heiney9
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax

madmax

Great article MM, thanks for posting the link

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2005
    Options

madmax

Very cool read. Thanks for the link.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I grew up with LP's and inherited stacks of 50/60 timeframe 45's. I would play all of them on my parent console for hours on end and really enjoyed them. I did not no anything about audiophile quality and thought I was king of cool.

When some of them skipped I just put a quarter on the arm and that took care of it. Whats so complicated about LP's anyway;)

All jokes aside, when the wife gives me the go ahead to go on another spend cycle I will by a TT. I will not use the quarter method either! I promise:p

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • madmax
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Hey Hbomb,
    You have been threatening to get into vinyl for years now. :)

You should check out the "pro-ject debut mk3" table. Any color you like, comes with arm and fitted cartridge. $279 and free shipping! Can't beat that deal!

madmax

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/807600/

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I don't know about the Pro-ject, but I have recently purchased the Music Hall MMF-5; and think for under 5 bills, it can't be beat.

Dave and I listened to a brand new Harvest pressing of DSOTM and Dave near wet himself.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Which room do you have the Music Hall in Troy, and what phono stage are you using?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I don't know about the Pro-ject, but I have recently purchased the Music Hall MMF-5; and think for under 5 bills, it can't be beat.

Dave and I listened to a brand new Harvest pressing of DSOTM and Dave near wet himself.

BDT

Yeah, i've learned to wear "Depends" when i show up at Troy's for a listening session.
    BTW Troy, wait 'til i bring the new pessing of Norah Jones That i've found...:D
  • madmax
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Any one ever played any of the 12" dance lp's? One song per side at either 33 or 45?

I only have one and happened across it last night. The song is called "Honey Theif" but I forget the band.

Holy **** does it ever dig low and give an awsome performance. I think I am going to try more of these 12" wonders!

madmax

• unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited July 2005
    Options
    You should check out the "pro-ject debut mk3" table. Any color you like, comes with arm and fitted cartridge. $279 and free shipping! Can't beat that deal!

I used that one for awhile no too long ago... was it as good as a Linn with a tricked out Tonearm & a badass phono stage? No. But it came pretty damn close. I can highly reccommend it. I only got rid of it because I came home one day to find that one of my roommates had taped a quarter to the tonearm. I couldn't trust them to not abuse it and I didn't have space for it at the woman's place. Oh, and you have to switch the belt to play 45's or get a voltage box...
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2005
    Options
    When I was a little kid, I listened to cassette tapes. I then went digital with compact discs. Never heard a real TT set up so I can't say if I'll like it or not but I know I can easily ignore the surface noise and little ticks and pops here and there. One day I'll check out a TT set up. However, I doubt I'll ever get into it because less than 1% of the stuff I listen to gets released on vinyl. I'm very happy with my digital source right now and can't wait to try out a Jolida like the one Troy was going nuts for.

Maurice
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by ND13
    Are there any reasonably priced tube DACs out there? They do make tube DACs don't they?

You can find a tubed output DAC but not a tube DAC. A tube DAC would look like the first computer that takes up an entire room. I might be talking out of my **** so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Maurice
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by dragon1952
    Like this one?

http://store.cuteelectro.com/sydvplsd.html

must be the Virtual Surround Sound :p
    no not like that one. my cd player is not a symphonic you must be confused? my cd player is a 5.000 dollar symphonic line vibrato with a power supply that rivals many power amplifiers. these units are hand made one at a time by rolf gemien in duisburg germany and it sounds oh so sweet! now after reading this i feel cheated that it does not have a virtual surround sound mode oh well!
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • madmax
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by W WALDECKER
    now after reading this i feel cheated that it does not have a virtual surround sound mode oh well!

Hey, you got ripped and I feel bad for you. No virtual surround indeed. Listen, pack up that POS, ship it to me and I'll personally purchase one of the newer Symphonics with surround sound and ship it to you free of charge.

madmax

• W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited July 2005
    Options
    hey mad max it sounds like a really good offer but i dont like to rush into things so let me sleep on it........thanks
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I had some ablums when young, 8-tracks in high school. Bought a lot of alblums while a G.I. Got a cd player in 1984, never looked back. My favorate turntable was demolished by one of my curious children. I still don't have anywhere near the selection of cds that I had on vinyl, but thats ok. My tastes have changed over the years. I guess I'll never own any more "Iron Butterfly" !
    I can't see my self ever going back to vinyl. Cds are very low maintenance.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Which room do you have the Music Hall in Troy, and what phono stage are you using?

The MMF is in the cave, the CJ PV-7 has a phono stage built in...sooner or later that will be upgraded, but for now...

The AR is going in to the LR rig with the Sunfire/CJ set up. Eventually, I'll upgrade the AR but in the meantime, it'll do.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • heiney9
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Any one ever played any of the 12" dance lp's? One song per side at either 33 or 45?

I only have one and happened across it last night. The song is called "Honey Theif" but I forget the band.

Holy **** does it ever dig low and give an awsome performance. I think I am going to try more of these 12" wonders!

madmax

I owned many many 12" DJ records. They were cool back then and sounded pretty good. Although I suspect the "mixes" were maximized for playing in clubs. A while back I gave them all to my brother and he put all them on cd. He still has them in several milk crates somewhere.

H9
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Hey Hbomb,
    You have been threatening to get into vinyl for years now. :)

madmax

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/807600/

Thanks for the link Max. I do have to get some renovation done in the Bomb Shelter but this could be a great first step.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***