RT800 Buzzing!

Options
dstanley
dstanley Posts: 3
edited July 2005 in Troubleshooting
I have a pair of RT800 tower loudspaekers, There seems to be a buzzing that comes from one of the 6.5" drivers in one of the cabinets. This ocurrs at 'male voice' freq. at almost all levels. What is the suggested way of finding the offending driver (there are 2 in each cabinet).
The site does not list this model in their lineup for replacement parts. I bought these new at a local store as a closeout ($299 ea) item (brand new 4 to 5 yaers ago, and they are no longer a dealer of Polk. I live in the Denver Metro area. I do not have the sales receipt any longer and I beleive that the warrenty was for 5 years only. I am a little disturbed that a driver would fail on this system after only 4-5 years of mostly TV and Theater use with a very high quality Amp used, Sony STR DB940 110 wattsX5.
If I can purchase a driver from Polk, are there any instructions or procedures available? Are any special tools required?

Thank you in advance for any and all help you can give me reguarding this matter. I really do love these speakers, and was planning on these being the last main system loudspeaker pair purchase of my life. They are the most realistic and musical speakers I have enjoyed after owning speakers from Infinity, RTR, and C. Vega, just to name a few.:o
OLD audiophile, Very old
Post edited by dstanley on

Comments

• aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Hello D.Stanley. Welcome to the forums. If I were you I would send an email or a Private Message to the Moderator of the Troubleshooting Thread, Kenneth. He will be able to help you and give you step by step instructions on how to find the driver that is at fault.

In the meantime just make sure that you have your tone controls set on 'flat' or 'neutral on your Sony DB receiver.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Take a pillow...

Cover one midbass from each speaker and turn the treble all the way down on the receiver.
    ***(Do not press down on the driver...just set it in front of it...)***

Turn it to the volume you listen at - then find out which is the culprit.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.