Tweeter is loose

Options
neokeelo
neokeelo Posts: 168
edited July 2005 in Troubleshooting
I just bought a pair of 28i's off of Ebay for 40 bucks :D

Great deal so far except for one thing. When I unpacked the speakers one of them had a tweeter driver loose and is falling inward . I think this was caused by the heat expanding the rubber ring that goes around the driver. I unscrewed the front panel and did my best to reset it using a rubber band to hold it in place ( just a temporary fix).

It is 80% in there but is not really snug like it should be. It seems to be holding right now ( as long as I don't lay it on its back) and I don't hear any distortion.

Should I mess with it anymore or what?

I will try to post pics of it tommorrow.
My System
Pre/Pro - Integra DTR 40.2
Amplifier -Parasound 2205a
Paradigm Studio 60s V5 Mains
Paradigm Studio 590 V5 Center
Paradigm 20s - rear ( Wanted)
SUB - SVS PB12-NSD
LG PK250 60inch Plasma
Post edited by neokeelo on

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Well at least you still won't have alot in 'em if you decide to replace the tweeter. If they were mine, unless they're in sad physical shape, I'd just replace it so as to not have to deal with it. It couldn't be more than $40-60. I know that's as much or more than you spent, but unless you can live with it dangling around you would still be in the pair on the cheap. Just my $.02
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • neokeelo
    neokeelo Posts: 168
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I took the driver back out and took both rubber rings out then pushed and the driver snapped right into place tight :D I will do some further testing but I think its fixed.
    My System
    Pre/Pro - Integra DTR 40.2
    Amplifier -Parasound 2205a
    Paradigm Studio 60s V5 Mains
    Paradigm Studio 590 V5 Center
    Paradigm 20s - rear ( Wanted)
    SUB - SVS PB12-NSD
    LG PK250 60inch Plasma
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by neokeelo
    I took the driver back out and took both rubber rings out then pushed and the driver snapped right into place tight :D I will do some further testing but I think its fixed.

Great, and a very good buy I might add.

Good Luck with 'em.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Its fixed, Polk didnt use screws on the drivers with the speakers that used the baffles. The midbass was pressure fitted, and was held in by the baffle...

Where as the tweeter just snaps right in and out...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.