Unwanted "Thump" noise

Options
mrmsudawgs
mrmsudawgs Posts: 34
edited July 2005 in Troubleshooting
I have a C400 amp powering two Momo C570 speakers and a single MM2104 sub (bridged). Head unit is Alpine CDA-9831. Ever since I installed my system I have had a random "Thump" noise coming from my sub in about the 30 HZ range. It is just a single, short, "thump" that sometimes is repetitive (thump, thump, thump, etc). Like I said, it is random and I may go for a week without hearing it then I may here it all day the next day.

I have checked the ground (its good) and have tightened all power connections - checked everything multiple times.

Today I tried something new. I have disconnected the door speakers from the amp by removing the RCA input jacks going to the amp and also disconnecting the output wires going to those speakers. The only thing left connected to the amp is the sub's wire, the ground wire, the power wire, and the 12 volt turn on lead. The amp is getting no signal from the head unit at all (I also disconnected the rear inputs for the sub). Even with all of those things disconnected I still get the thump noise.

I am now thinking I have an amp problem. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Remember, the amp is now isolated - no signal from the head unit and the only output is to the sub.

Click here to see my system.

Please help!

Mike
Post edited by mrmsudawgs on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited July 2005
    Options
    yeah, my first thought was a grounding issue, but if you've ruled that out...sounds like an amp issue.

I'd email Polk CS for a quick response...
  • mrmsudawgs
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I only checked for a secure ground connection. What else should I check for? Why does this sound like a grounding issues to you?
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited July 2005
    Options
    i'm not experienced with car-amps or car systems but my home theater Amps have a slight thump when I turn them on/off;
    But this is due to the large power supply of the amps. It's perfectly normal. The amps power supply filters and stores energy until the amplifier circuitry needs it during playback. When I turn my home system either on or off, that energy has to go somewhere. The thumping sound comes from the power supply capacitors that release the energy from the amplifier. Perfectly normal as long as it's only doing it when you turn the system on or off. If it's doing it during normal playback- then I don't know what to tell ya. Regardless, I hope this is at least of some help for you.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • mrmsudawgs
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the information but system makes the "thump" noise during normal operation.

Does anyone know if there are any known issues with Polk C400.4 amps?

Mike
  • mrmsudawgs
    edited July 2005
    Options
    The possibility of "grounding" being an issue has been eliminated. I have just ran a 4 gage ground wire from my amp directly to the negative battery terminal but the "thump" noise has not gone away. Is there any way my sub is causing this or do most of you believe it is now an amp issue?

Mike
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited July 2005
    Options
    There are no known issues with the C400. Call up customer service. They'll help you out.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk