SDA-SRS Rebuild my crossovers

Options
zorro
zorro Posts: 9
edited June 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I have SDA-SRS (1st generation) and just found out that POLK no longer stocks the crossovers even though they are listed on this site.

I would like to know if any of you that I have read here that rebuilt your crossovers would be interested in coming to northern Vermont (near STOWE VT) to remove and rebuild mine onsite for a fee including travel.

The POLK rep just told me that the capacitors should be replaced about every 10 years as they tend to dry out.

I also read that some of you have completely replaced all of the electronic bits and pieces of the crossover or modded them for better performance which I might want to have done.:confused:
Post edited by zorro on

Comments

• zorro
    zorro Posts: 9
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Doesn't anyone want to rebuild my crossovers???

Name your price????
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I would love to re-build your crossovers! Problem is that you would have to remove them, disconnect all the wires and mark up where everything goes so you can put them all back together. Easy enough, you just have to write down everything or take pics so you can remember a few weeks later. I would follow the tried and true procedure written by Raife in the vintage speaker section.

$25 per hour plus parts and return shipping.

I forget the parts cost so I would have to go through the list. Labor time? I'm really not sure but I am efficient. It's my job. :)

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited June 2005
    Options
    There you go.

I plan to go into the cable manufacturing and audio modification business after I retire. Of course, all that is contingent on me still being able to hear well enough to aurally evaluate my work.:p
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by DarqueKnight
    There you go.

I plan to go into the cable manufacturing and audio modification business after I retire. Of course, all that is contingent on me still being able to hear well enough to aurally evaluate my work.:p

I'll be one of your first cable customers when you do. Top notch work on that SDA IC, much nicer than Har's.;) :D
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Thank you.:)
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Madmax free vacation in Vermont. You should take him up,he will pay travel time, stay in a nice resort and have a good time.
    JT
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by jtgranby
    Madmax free vacation in Vermont. You should take him up,he will pay travel time, stay in a nice resort and have a good time.
    JT

Hmmm, It could take months to finish the project. :D

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax
    Hmmm, It could take months to finish the project. :D

madmax

You'll be needing an extra pair of hands, right?:D
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • chuck13
    chuck13 Posts: 19
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I have a pair of the SDA SRS speakers. The Highs drop out after only a few minutes of listening a high volumes. I assume my crossovers need to be rebuilt. I was woundering if DarqueKnight might want to do mine as well? I could remove and reinstall them (I think)

I love the speakers, but can no longer listen to them in this condition.

Chuck
    Chuck13
    Denon AVR 5803
    Rotel RB 1090 for the Polks :D
    Fronts - Polk SDA SRS's w/ new tweeters
    Surrounds - Klipsch RF - 7(4ea)
    Center - Klipsch RC - 7
    Denon DVD 1600
    Energy st-12 woof
    OPPO DVD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Your tweeter protection is kicking in which means you need to, (A) replace the polyswitch on each crossover (they do wear out), (B) turn it down or (C) buy better power. You do not need to rebuild the crossovers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• chuck13
    chuck13 Posts: 19
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I've got the denon 3803 and bi-amp'd the fronts. Any comments?
    I am debating the emotiva DMC-1 & MPS-1 combo avr
    or denon 5805 or 4806. Any comments? Will any be enough for my Polks?
    Chuck13
    Denon AVR 5803
    Rotel RB 1090 for the Polks :D
    Fronts - Polk SDA SRS's w/ new tweeters
    Surrounds - Klipsch RF - 7(4ea)
    Center - Klipsch RC - 7
    Denon DVD 1600
    Energy st-12 woof
    OPPO DVD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Honestly, I'd replace the polyswitches first before doing anything else. Contact Ken Swauger at Polk, he'll send them right out to you.

You say you're bi-amping the fronts, so maybe power isn't a problem. What are the amps? At what volume level does this occur? If you've got the volume past half way, it's just too far and causing clipping.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk