SDA-SRS 2.3 TLs

Options
Philpfeif
Philpfeif Posts: 25
edited May 2005 in Vintage Speakers
;) I just got my SDA-SRS 2.3 TLs yesterday. I had to drive nine hours to the Boston area to pick them up but boy was it worth it. Since they have had very little play time from the original owner I think I will wait a few weeks before rebuilding the crossovers. I have a question about setting them up in my listening room. The diagram on the back of the speakers shows that the listener's distance from the speakers should equal the distance between the speakers. This doesn't sound very practical. I am sitting about one and a half times more than the recommended distance from the speakers and they sound great. I did have to move about three feet closer to get the optimum effect. I tried putting a chair eight feet in front of the speakers and did not notice any improvement in the sound.
Post edited by Philpfeif on

Comments

• jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I sit about equal distance with mine. i haven't moved them since I set them up. Congrats on your score. Let's see some pics. Are you going to put the new tweeters in them?

JT
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited May 2005
    Options
    The equal distance rule is quite proper and works extremely well. It's not a Polk derived guide rule to say nothing of being SDA or SRS specific. It is a standard audio guide for stereo listening.
  • BobMcG
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Congrats on the "new" 2.3s. Enjoy :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited May 2005
    Options
    If you didn't get the manual, contact Ken at Polk and he'll mail one to you. Ideally, a equal laterial triangle of 6 to 8 feet is best and do not toe-in the speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Philpfeif
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I guess I have just gotten used to being farther away from my speakers. I now have them about 7.5 feet apart edge to edge and I am sitting about 12 feet back and they sound great. Thanks for the suggestion about the manual. The original owner has the manual but he couldn't find it. Is there a big improvement in the new replacement tweeters. I plan to rebuild the crossovers but if there is a good reason to replace the tweeters I will do that too.
    Phil
  • BobMcG
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Phil,

Not that reworking the crossovers isn't a worthy project but changing the tweeters is a quicker, easier, satisfying upgrade to do. You'll only be wanting to do it anyways if you do the crossovers first.
    I now have them about 7.5 feet apart edge to edge

IF by this you mean 7.5' inside edge to inside edge, your speakers are actually "closer" to being 9.25' apart. This is measuring the speakers at the tweeters or the middle of the speaker. Its the left tweeter to right tweeter and tweeters to ear measurments your interested in.
  • Philpfeif
    edited May 2005
    Options
    That makes more sense. The diagram on the back of the speakers shows the measurement from inside edge to inside edge. I wll order the tweeters on Tuesday. Thanks for all the advice.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I concur, get the new tweeters first and get the manual. You can then play around with full knowledge on set up and what sounds best to you.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BobMcG
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Yeah, all the diagrams will show the measurement between the speakers taken at the inside edges. This practice never made total sense to me but I guess it at least gives a general guide line to follow. I've always made a practice of using the tweeters as my point of measure.

Enjoy the 2.3s.
  • Philpfeif
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the help.