SL2000 tweeter replacement going bad...

Options
jcmccorm
jcmccorm Posts: 103
edited May 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I need some advice from the Polkies here.

I replaced all of the SL2000's in my SDA SRS's a few months ago. All was well until tonight when I redid speaker level calibration and noticed some crackly static from the right speaker when playing the pink noise on Avia. Putting my ear up close to the tweeters one by one revealed that the culprit was the third one down from the top.

I removed it and tested the conenctions by moving them. No change. I replaced the tweeter into the cabinet but didn't screw it down and continued to play the pink noise. Pressing on the plastic plate made the static come and go. Gently pressing on the dome also made the static sound come and go. I removed the tweeter, took the plastic face off and removed the dome to inspect the wires. Each wire end (+ and -) comes from the connector tabs and wraps around the base of the dome. No problems found with visual inspection. I put it all back together and replaced it and now it sounds fine and I can't reproduce the problem.

I'm inclined to replace the thing as I'd hate to keep having to play pink noise every few nights just to check it. I suspect an intermittent connection or break in the wire. Anyone have a similar problem? How does Polk generally handle this as it's a new tweeter? Thanks guys...

Cary
Post edited by jcmccorm on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Polk's CS is some of the best.

I would think that the story exactly as you told it with the recent purchase proof would get you a replacement with a return of the defective tweeter.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited May 2005
    Options
    3rd from the top is the main tweeter and as such is usually to first to go from clipping problems. What are you driving these with and how high do you turn it up?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jcmccorm
    jcmccorm Posts: 103
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the reply guys.

I'm driving them with an Adcom 5802 and I never turn it up loud enough for it to even break into a sweat. :)

What I *did* do, which enters into this, is short out the poly fuses when I upgraded the crossovers. But again, I really don't turn it up that loud. (I've never ever had the poly's cut out the tweeters on me when they were in the circuit so I felt reasonably safe in doing this)

In light of this event though, I will plan on getting the replacement poly's from Polk and put them in the tweeter circuit.

Cary
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited May 2005
    Options
    When I purchased mine, they told me they had a one year warranty, so getting a replacement shouldn't be a problem.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Seems like you got a lemon tweeter. It happens. Polk will take care of ya.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Damn! Another part number to remember: RD0194-1L :p

Good luck, Cary! All mine stayed in one piece -- even through a Dee Lite demo during Bruce's visit. I now consider them indestructible.