Polk Audio 7200 problem with Onkyo receiver.

Options
rmhughes0711
rmhughes0711 Posts: 15
edited May 2005 in Troubleshooting
I have an RM7200 system with subwoofer connected to an Onkyo TX-SR 701 receiver. My rear and center speakers are connected directly to my receiver and my front speakers connect to the subwoofer with the subwooker connecting back to the receiver. With this configuration, my receiver goes into "protect mode" at about 50% volume.

If I take the subwoofer out of the picture and connect my front speakers directly to my receiver, I can raise the volume and rattle the rafters. What is causing the subwoofer to limit my volume?

I am trying to track down wires looking for shorts. I also had someone tell me to go with the LFE output on my receiver but I don't know anything about LFE.

What can I do to diagnose further and ulltimately resolve this problem?

Help!!!!
Richard M. Hughes
Post edited by rmhughes0711 on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited May 2005
    Options
    The sub should hook to the LFE (sub) output on your receiver with an rca cable. You may have to run through a setup mode to get the bass to route to the sub this way.

It does sound as thought you have a shorting or load issue when hooking through your sub.

Most here on the fourm run their sub from the LFE output, as digital processing has the bass tracks specifically routed to the sub without any upper ranges included. Dolby digital and DTS won't send the bass to your sub in these digital modes unless you are hooked to LFE, only bass found in the front soundtrack will find the sub.

Run them however it sounds best to you, but make sure you explore all avenues to get the best setup possible.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited May 2005
    Options
    No offense to Polk Audio- but they're way of hooking up a subwoofer is ridiculous. Simply.

I bet 90% of the thread doesn't even hook it up that way.

Use a RCA COAX 75ohm cable to connect from your receivers "SUBOUT" jack into your "LINE LEVEL IN" jack(s) of your subwoofer.

Hooking it up via speaker level inputs still puts stress on your receivers amp due to the daisychain effect.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2005
    Options
    The daisychain effect?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • aaharvel
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Russ- it's just my choice of words for plugging the sub into the speaker levels on the receiver then sending it back out to the sub speaker levels again. Like the original post, I couldn't hook my sub that way to my old Sony DE 935 receiver- it would go into protect mode as well and i can only assume that this way of wiring the Sub put too much stress on the sony's power supply (and we all know a Sony De's power supply is truly lame). Using the subout/preamp jack of that old p.o.s. sony fixed the problem- and now that's how i have my Velodyne hooked up to my H/K pre/pro.

Can someone please tell me why Polk recommends hooking up the Sub through the speaker level inputs? Does it work well with high-end electronics? I just don't get it.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by aaharvel
    Can someone please tell me why Polk recommends hooking up the Sub through the speaker level inputs? Does it work well with high-end electronics? I just don't get it.

They claim better crossover control to sats. I can see this if you don't have good choices with your processor.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • aaharvel
    edited May 2005
    Options
    my sony crossover choices were bad. In other words- i had no choices. In fact- i don't even know what the factory setting was. When I called Sony and their tech told me it was set to 180 HZ, (****) I knew right then and there the only thing I would ever buy from Sony again is an SACD player. Unbelievable.
    but I STILL, ALWAYS got better sound from that trash heap using RCA subwoofer cables into a line in/sub out connection.

Now, My harman is adjustable from 40hz-200hz in 20hz increments, for each of the seven channels, and for each source. Now if that's not a flexible crossover- then I don't know what is! lol. I love Harman Kardon- In my opinion- for receivers nothing beats them (for the green) -not Marantz, not even Denon- and they're gear is excellent as well. From what i've heard of the "mainstream" offerings, these three companies are the only ones whose receivers are worth anything for honest wattage specs, decent to good current capability and above average musical reproduction all in one box.

Considering the vast percentage of "Polkies" disagree with Polk Audio's standpoint for sub hookup- maybe they should re-evaluate their position on the issue- just a thought. =)
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

• rmhughes0711
    rmhughes0711 Posts: 15
    edited May 2005
    Options
    OK, I have the problem resolved. I basically re-wired the whole shooting match, verifying each connection as I went. It seems to be working fine now. Thanks for all who contributed to my question.

Now, that I have this resolved, I am still thoroughly confused on my method of hooking up my speakers via LFE or the way I originally configured them. In another post, someone said that digital playback would be an issue connecting them my way. Does this mean digital cable and DVD? What am I losing my keeping them this way. What are my gains by changing them. If I do change to LFE, do my front speakers still connect to the sub or do they go directly to the front speakers input on my receiver?

Any help is appreciated.
    Richard M. Hughes
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Digital format likes Dolby and DTS have a discreet or seperate bass track that only contains bass material. Hooking through the front speakers, the sub only gets the bass info that is contained in the stereo tracks of the fronts. Advantages to using the LFE (sub) ouput are that the sub gets the proper info intended in movies and also is volume controllable using the remote. Being able to control the sub remotely is a nice feature on some movie tracks as they are all mixed differently.

It really doesn't matter much as long as you like the bass response your are getting.

I am glad you found your issue.