Learning something new...

polksda
polksda Posts: 716
edited May 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Wasn't feeling well last night, so instead of tossing & turning at 3am, I decided to give a closer read through the SDA Compendium. I found out a few things:

1. My pair of SDA 2Bs are actually 2As (blade-blade interconnect).

2. The SDA SRS that I bought from Moparnut last year are actually SRS 1.2 even though they say "SDA SRS" on the back (pin-blade interconnect). I guess they are early 1.2s...

I had resigned myself to never being able to drive the SRS with monoblocks. Given that they are instead 1.2s, then conceivably I can run them if I bridge the ground terminals between the two amps, correct?
Post edited by polksda on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by polksda
    I had resigned myself to never being able to drive the SRS with monoblocks. Given that they are instead 1.2s, then conceivably I can run them if I bridge the ground terminals between the two amps, correct?

Correct!

Or make a AI-1 interconnect cable.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited May 2005
    Correct, but you better check with the amp manufacturer first to be 100% sure.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited May 2005
    Even if you had SRS's, there is no reason you couldn't use strapped mono amps with them, provided the amp manufacturer said it was ok. I have used a pair of Adcom GFA-565 monoblocks with my SRS's. In my case, the negative speaker terminals of each amp was connected with speaker wire. I also needed to run a wire between each amp chassis (I just connected the wire to a metal screw on each chassis). This was per Adcom's and Polk's instructions.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited May 2005
    Like you've been told, you must check with the manufacture of the amp AND talk to Polk.
    However, there has been at least one hickup in the past that got by them but they probably have picked up a few tricks about this along the way.
    I also needed to run a wire between each amp chassis (I just connected the wire to a metal screw on each chassis). This was per Adcom's and Polk's instructions

This small but important detail was probably the missing link that would have saved a pair of amps years ago had it been in the mix. And yes, both the amp manufacturer and Polk were in on the discussions before the attempt was made to use bridged amps w/o an AI-1. (And the amp manu. repaired the amps for free.)

We all live and learn...