Fronts: LSi15 vs LSi9

cookaa
cookaa Posts: 49
edited May 2002 in Speakers
I have the LSiC and a pair of 9s for rears, and I am trying to figure out what to do for the fronts. There is no LSi dealer within 200 miles of Oregon. I have heard from some reviews that the 15s have good base, and others say get the 9s and good sub. Anyone who has heard these please let me know your opinions.
Thanks
Post edited by cookaa on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    I would say it largely depends on personal preference. Some folks prefer monitors, some prefer the floor standers. ME? I would go with the floorstanders AND a sub.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited May 2002
    I would say it largely depends on personal preference. Some folks prefer monitors, some prefer the floor standers. ME? I would go with the floorstanders AND a sub.

I would aggree! If it's in your budget, get the 15's and a good sub. Is this some original thinking on my part or what?:D
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited May 2002
    If you get your 15's from Brandnamez.com they are $1050 for the pair!! and the shipping is very resonable. That way you spend the same amount for the 15's as it would be for the 9's. I have a pair of the 15's and love the hell out of them so far. Because they are Bi-amped you can shut down the BASS on them and run a sub.
    Good luck with your choice. either way you will be very pleased with your purchase.

Later,
    Jer
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited May 2002
    Buy the 9's and with the money saved, get two dedicated subs.
  • gmg
    gmg Posts: 22
    edited May 2002
    I'd like to hear your opinions on how the 9's and the 15's sound as compared to say, the RT line up. I'd like to buy one or the other, but alas, no place around me to hear them. Thanks, Gordo
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited May 2002
    After listening to both the 9s and 15s my preference would be to use the LSi9s and a really good sub. The 15s were good and would be great for a 2 channel system with no sub but the 9s just seemed cleaner and a little more tight to my ear. To me the midrange is the key to a great speaker and the 9s seem to excell in the midrange. I currently have a 5.1 system and am considering using 4 LSi9s for my front and surrounds with a LSic and a sub to be named later. This may take a while as I have spent way too much adding on to my house and I have kids getting ready to go to college, etc...

The LSi vs the Rti? There is definitely an improvement there but it is hard to quantify without being able to compare them in the same environment. I have the rt55is and I know the LSI9s are more refined with better depth of the sound. Not depth as in bass but depth of the soundstage with better separation. Are they twice as good as the rts I own? Probably not because I think that the rt55is are one of Polks best effort of its recent past lines and a true bargain. Having said that...when the disposable cash is available I sure would like to have those LSi9s.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    i like the lsi-9 with two subs as mains with speaker wires to the subs then to the lsi-9 for the mains. psw-650 as the subs.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    do you have the LSi9's ? Just curious, if you do, how you think that they compare to the RT7.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    no not yet but i thank im going to get them, i got the rt-7 polks for my mains on the psw-650s,

the rt-7 are dam good speakers, it will be hard to replace them i thank the only ones that are good anougth is the lsi-9 , i got aragon pre amp & 4004 amp the 4004 is 400 w into 4 ohms
    i know that the aragons are going to run the lsi-9 great
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • todd c
    todd c Posts: 5
    edited May 2002
    IMO go with the LSi9's and a good sub. Let the 9's do what they do best in the mid's and high's and let the sub handle the bass. I listened to both at the dealer and thought the bass in the 15's was not as "tight" as I like compared to a dedicated sub.

I have had my 9's for five weeks now and they replaced a pair of B&W 602 series 2's. Definite improvement. I am running the 9's along with an SVS 25-39 PC sub crossed over at 60hz. The 9's are bi-wired from a Rotel RB980BX amp and a Sony V333ES receiver as the "pre-amp".

Remember...let your ears in your room with your electronics be the judge!