Baby Adcom For Sale: GFA-5400-Spring Cleaning Pt. 1

DarqueKnight
DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
edited May 2005 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
SOLD!

This Adcom GFA-5400 was used in my home office rig until I recently replaced it with an Adcom GFA-5500. It is in excellent functional condition. I would rate the cosmetic condition as 8.5/10. There are a couple of small dings on the right edge of the faceplate.

Price is $260.00 which includes double-box shipping to anywhere in the continental United States. I will not ship outside of the US. I prefer payment by money order. Personal check is o.k. if we have done business before. Interested individuals can send a PM or email to "darqueknight88@hotmail.com".

Original box and manual included.

Folks that don't know me can check my feedback on eBay and Audiogon. I have the same username there as here.

Orion Bluebook value for one in mint condition is $350. eBay and Audiogon selling prices range from $300 to $330.

Specs:

Power into 8 ohms: 125
Power into 4 ohms: 200
Weight (unboxed): 26 pounds
Dimensions: 17"W x 12-1/2"D x 5-3/8"H

Full specifications can be found at the Adcom website at www.adcom.com

Similar to Jim Phelps' top secret instructions, this ad will self destruct at noon 05/06/2005. :)
Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
Post edited by DarqueKnight on

Comments

• DarqueKnight
    edited May 2005
    Rear:
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2005
    Inside
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited May 2005
    I presume this was as good a time as any eh? :)

Aaharvel was on the lookout for some Adcom, although I don't know how seriously.

This is a nice deal gang....DK is solid, no worries from this Polkie, period.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    edited May 2005
    Dang... Adcom sure kicked it up a notch from their last generation of amps didnt they? Tord. transformer and all that! COOL!

Solid amp, solid seller...buy it now, ask later...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    I presume this was as good a time as any eh? :)

Yep. Get it while it's hot. ;)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    edited May 2005
    How do you think this would compare to my B&K?

It has more power in 4 ohms, same amount at 8 ohms...

However, the B&K weighs 20 pounds more...confused

The GFA 545 was similar in sound traits to mine, just not as refined or detailed, not having any experience with the new ones, I am curious as to how you think it sounds compared to the older series, or other amps...

(based upon your answers, I may be interested) but please don't answer like a salesman, which I doubt you would...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited May 2005
    Remember the 5xxx series uses MOSFETS instead of BI-POLAR output transistors. So the charateristics of both amps are much different. At $260 it's tempting, because I have an original 545 and I've always wanted to do a side/side comparison. But since I just completed my 2nd system with the Nak/AMC/Athena I'm short on fun money.....maybe another time.

Has anyone heard the 5xx series and the 5xxx together? If so, care to comment?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    I don't know. I've never heard a B&K. I have heard the GFA-545 and I like the 5400 much better.

20 pounds is a substantial difference. It would be interesting to find out if the weight difference is due to heavier electrical components (like a beefier transformer) or a heavier chassis with more damping.
  • heiney9
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3

It has more power in 4 ohms, same amount at 8 ohms...

However, the B&K weighs 20 pounds more...confused

The GFA 545 was similar in sound traits to mine, just not as refined or detailed, not having any experience with the new ones, I am curious as to how you think it sounds compared to the older series, or other amps...

(based upon your answers, I may be interested) but please don't answer like a salesman, which I doubt you would...

Actually I feel the 545 is very detailed. Stunningly detailed, IMO. I beleive that's because of the Bi-Polar outputs. Low level resoultion and bass definition is superb on my 545. Some say the Mosfets are somewhat "veiled" and don't have the "slam" the original 5xx series had. Mostly opinion that I've read. With the Mosfet configuration the amp can operate in Class A mode to a higher wattage thus eliminating some switching distortion. Eh...now I'm just rambling. It's a great amp at a great price!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by DarqueKnight
    I don't know. I've never heard a B&K. I have heard the GFA-545 and I like the 5400 much better.

20 pounds is a substantial difference. It would be interesting to find out if the weight difference is due to heavier electrical components (like a beefier transformer) or a heavier chassis with more damping.

Darq, I'm curious what chacteristics do you like more about the 5400. Please go into detail. I'd really like to hear your opinion. Several times over the past few years I've wanted to buy a 5xxx series amp, but my 545 just keeps chugging along and sounds so good........

It's one of those "should I....or shouldn't I" buy the new amp.

H9
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by heiney9
    Has anyone heard the 5xx series and the 5xxx together? If so, care to comment?
    I have compared the 545 to the 5400 and the 555 Mk II to the 5500. I prefer the MOSFET amps for the kind of music I listen to (acoustic jazz).

Reasons I prefer the 5XXX series:

1. Smoother, more natural midrange and treble. No listening fatigue.
    2. More articulate bass, but less (exaggerated) bass "slam" than equivalent powered bipolar amps.
    3. Biased higher than the 5XX series, closer to class A.

I do not think one is any "better" than the other. It is a matter of which suits your listening tastes better.

I do have two Adcom bipolar amps (GFA-565's) driving the subwoofers in my HT system. They have more (exaggerated) bass impact than the identically powered GFA-5802.
  • heiney9
    edited May 2005
    Darq,

Fair enough and thanks...I hope I haven't de-railed this thread too much. All your points are valid. I guess the only way I'm going to know is to buy one:) . I wish I had some extra fun money laying around, because who knows I might end up liking the 5xxx series better. I'm a big female vocal fan so maybe the Mosfets could prove to be more to my liking.

H9
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2005
    The 5XXX series reproduces music closer to what I hear at a live jazz performance (in a club setting).

If you ever decide to by a 5XXX series and don't like it, you won't have any problem selling it and getting your money back out of it.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited May 2005
    hey. thanks for remembering dorkusai. i can't even remember what day it is! lol

anyway, i just bought the gfa-5300 for $175, along with a 7300 for $225 from one of my friends.

considering i'm only driving rti-4 on "small", this'll be all i need.

considering i spent $400 on 2amps, i'm not complaining.

thanks again for remembering.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • gshisme
    gshisme Posts: 1,038
    edited May 2005
    PM'd
    suds, suds and more suds!
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2005
    SOLD!
  • gshisme
    gshisme Posts: 1,038
    edited May 2005
    DK,

Received the amp today and it arrived in perfect shape. Another great packaging job by a polkie! Unit looks great and I thank ya bud. Should have everything hooked up by the weekend.

Greg
    suds, suds and more suds!
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2005
    Wellllll, I'm glad we caught FedEx on a good day.:) Let us know how you like the sound.