best way to mount 6x9's???

punkboypoppi
punkboypoppi Posts: 3
edited May 2005 in Custom Fabrication
ive got a 92 honda civic sedan that originally came with 6 1/2's all the way around. now i want to put 6x9's in the rear deck and i was just wondering how i should mount them. i want to get the best sound possible and ill do whatever it takes. so should i just cut openings big enough for the speakers in my rear deck or do i need boxes for the best sound? please help soon! thanks
slow cars are fun too!... ok not really
Post edited by punkboypoppi on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2005
    best sound possible implies a lack of 6x9s; a 6.5" speaker will give better sound, albeit with less bass, than a 6x9.

why do you want to change to 6x9s?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • punkboypoppi
    edited May 2005
    well ive got a 12" audiobahn sub(700 watts rms) but none of my speakers are amped... and they sound like crap. i have pioneers in the front that are just cheap but in the rear i have the infinity kappa 6 1/2s that NEED an amp to sound decent. my dilemma is that im broke and can only afford to have the sub or sell it and get an amp and a pair of new speakers to go with the kappas. i was looking at 6x9s cuz they have the most bass... but now you say that they wont sound as good? interesting... ok but will they play louder than 6 1/2s at least? or should i just get some new 6 1/2s and an amp and keep my sub?
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2005
    well, 6x9s will make more bass, which will be good if you're going to get rid of the sub, but a 6.5 will sound cleaner.

i'd say keep the sub and amp the circular speakers, but you're the one who has to pay for it, so it's your decision.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited May 2005
    For some reason, I think he is in this hobby for a different reason, and SQ is not one of them...
    Although he states in the first post he wants the best sound possible, but I think he pertains to wanting the best bass possible, and putting it in a box, would give him the best bass, no?

I read loud, and bass a couple times, which implies he wants it loud and he wants it with bass...

My vote goes for the 6x9 - mainly because it may meet your needs more, however, you may see it better suited to move your Infinity speakers to the front, and rid yourself of the cheapo speakers completely and amp the mains :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • punkboypoppi
    edited May 2005
    alright thanks guys, thats all i needed to know. i think i will keep the the sub and get some new 6.5 components for up front and amp them, because i am going for quality more than bass... i just always thought 6x9s would sound better but hey if 6.5s are where its at thats ok w/ me cuz they're cheaper(generally) anyway! shibby!
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited May 2005
    ? they still make 6x9's? Why? I thought those died in the 80's with mullets?

:rolleyes:
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2005
    what?! the mullet is dead?! that explains a lot... why didn't anyone tell me? :mad:

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2005
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with 6x9s assuming theyre made by a quality manufacturer. The MB Quart Reference 6x9 components sound great and the Polk 6x9s I previously had sounded awesome! Ive even considered replacing the MM6 mid with the MMC690s!

Generally an oval speaker will not be as rigid as a round one and thus will tend to distort easier and sound worse. But with technology today, and oval speaker can be made to sound just as good as a round one but with more midbass!

The MB Quart Reference 6x9's are on my short list of speakers I want in my truck.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited May 2005
    Friends dont let friends by 6x9's.

thats like shag carpet...yes..its carpet...but why? lol

:D
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2005
    Friends dont let friends buy CHEAP 6x9s.

Ill take a quality set of 6x9s anyday without hesitation.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited May 2005
    I always like those 6x9's ya see at those "tent" sales! 2000w 5-way 6x9's with a 20oz magnet. RMS is 50w :)

peace
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2005
    LOL!!

Oh yeah.

I remember back in the mid 80's I would get Crutchfield catalogs (before there was an internet) and look thru em and drool over all the cool speakers.

I judged how good a speaker would sound by how high the frequency response was. I remember the Pioneer 4 way 6x9s had a FR up to like 30 KHz or something. I figured that had to be good!