Ever have a day where.......

Options
TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited May 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Your rig is just dialed the eff in??

Past couple of weeks, the sound of the mancave rig has just been, I don't know, off? It just didn't sound right. Not bad per se, just not where it usually is. I attribute most this to putting a new pair of Sovteks in the Jolida but not all of it. I've been dicking around with toe in etc etc....

Well, I was talking to my pal hoosier on the phone so I turned everything on to let the tubes warm up, then some bozo wants to knock on my door (I thought hoosier had sent out his 'collection agents' and was keeping me on the phone to ensure I was there when they arrived ;))...then I posted some stuff on the FM....etc etc so I go into the cave, toss in SRV's Little Wing and all of a sudden: MAGIC.

I don't know what it is, everything is back in SPADES. Precise imaging. Clarity, detail...3D soundstage. Wow, it's like listening to a brand new rig.

No idea of the why's nor do I care. Just wanted to share

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2005
    Options
    The reason is obvious, S-R-V!
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I do this all the time. I think it has to do with the type of music I'm listening to. Maybe its sumthin crazy like less people in your neighborhood are using electricity so you rig is gettin power easier. I dunno, I totally made that last part up lol.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,084
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I get this feeling everytime I listen to Rock
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I know what you mean, EXACTLY. I did some of that lights off, late night very low level listening last night to some Jazz; it was heaven. I started second guessing wether I should sell my Athena's.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I thought it was just me that this happened to sometimes! It happens a lot to me especially during stressful periods. I swear sometimes my system sounds better at night when the lights are low opposed to the middle of the day when everything is bright.

I think it has a little bit to do with the mood of the day/moment. Sometimes I just can't sit down and listen to music, it's annoying especially if I'm distracted with a problem or have many things on my mind. If this is the case I become annoyed quickly because I can't focus on the music. and somehow the system just doesn't sound right.

Another weird experience I had not too long ago was due to a sinus infection. This went on for about 2 months and the whole time things just didn't sound right. I actually stopped listening to my system for awhile because of lack of enjoyment.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I thought it was just me that this happened to sometimes! It happens a lot to me especially during stressful periods. I swear sometimes my system sounds better at night when the lights are low opposed to the middle of the day when everything is bright.

I think it has a little bit to do with the mood of the day/moment. Sometimes I just can't sit down and listen to music, it's annoying especially if I'm distracted with a problem or have many things on my mind. If this is the case I become annoyed quickly because I can't focus on the music. and somehow the system just doesn't sound right.

Another weird experience I had not too long ago was due to a sinus infection. This went on for about 2 months and the whole time things just didn't sound right. I actually stopped listening to my system for awhile because of lack of enjoyment.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Sounds like a low grade sinus or allergy flair up that muted your ears. Not enough to make you ill or uncomfortable, but kinda like putting on a hat with earflaps.:D :D
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Tubes can break in. I've found most brand new tubes take a little longer to 'warm up' and get sounding right.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2005
    Options
    FLuid was probably hangin out in your ears.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I swear my system sounds better at night then during the day!!!

I agree with the power thing as I feel that might be the factor. Then I think about the light outside and mood. Night time everything is so peaceful,During the day it's hecktic.

My best listening times have been at night. Alot of times during the day I think my system sounds like smack. I'm all emotional and at peace at night and during the day I'm stressed.

Zero summed it up pretty well. We are all mental.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited April 2005
    Options
    polkthug is right..

It`s Stevie Ray.....doin his magic

Fix`s me right up

I also agree that a lot of times my rig sounds better at night..
    the air seems more still and the noise from the millions of worker bees has died down.....

But of course I`m completely mental anyway
    and if I could stop changing gear out long enough to get a good fix on how it`s going...that might help..:D
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,084
    edited April 2005
    Options
    My systems not only sounds better at night, but it sounds LOUDER - infact, it seems I can get the same volume out of -24db as I can get out of -12...

I can even listen to the TV at like volume 12, while during the day its up to like 27-28...

Nothing to compete with...great stuff.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Yeah it happens. I like nighttime listening too.

I've read about maniacs that turn off all electrical devices at night for critical listening...including unplugging the refrigerator! I'm not that insane yet..and if I ever get there I'm officially checking into a mental clinic.

Troy,
    If you ever get curious with rolling some tubes in the Jolida, try out some 1961 NOS JAN Sylvania 12AX7s. Upscale Audio still has them in stock I believe at a decent price. Sovtek LPS is one of the better current day ones but I like the NOS Sylvanias better in my rig. Herbie Hal-O tube dampers too to replace the tin cans in the Jolida also.

Paul
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by pjdami

If you ever get curious with rolling some tubes
    Paul

I'm always curious about tube rolling but I want the best available.

What are the best of the best of these?
    12AX7 x 2
    12AU7 x 1
    12FQ7 x 2

1/4twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • gshisme
    gshisme Posts: 1,038
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD
    Your rig is just dialed the eff in??
    No idea of the why's nor do I care. Just wanted to share
    BDT

Yup, had one of these the other DAY. Steely Dan's "pretzel logic" and "the royal scam" on vinyl. Yup...just sitting there grinning from ear to ear...tuned out to the world completely except for those wonderful sounds. Had to cap it all off with Pink Floyd's "meddle". To hell with that 5.1 stuff...I'm back in the two channel swing.
    suds, suds and more suds!