Damaged tweeter or woofer

Options
logos424
logos424 Posts: 49
edited April 2005 in Troubleshooting
Hi:

I was wondering how do you tell if you have a damaged tweeter or woofer?
Current Setup:
Main: Monitor 60 (bi-amped on my amp using the extra rear conections for 7.1)
Rear: Monitor 40
Center: Monitor CS1
Sub: SVS 20-39PC+
DVD: Sony DVP-NC675P (use 5 disc to play cds)
TV: Panasonic 32" Tau
Reciever: Marantz SR7500
Post edited by logos424 on

Comments

• logos424
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I should say that when watching some programs on my satilite I get some distortion on some Hi frequency stuff. Not sure what it is but only noticed it on that. Just wondering if I have a damaged tweeter or maybe it's just a combination of the compressed satellite signal and cheap reciever creating that distortion. I want to know how to diagnose a damaged tweeter or woofer to know for sure.
    Current Setup:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks for posting. One of the ways to determine if the problem is program specific. In other words, how does FM radio sound or playing CDs? If the distortion only happens when you're listening to a particular source and not on others then it's unlikely it is a speaker related problem. If you determine that it is present on multiple sources then the next step is to swap the left and right speaker. If the problem remains in the same channel then it is probably a problem with the receiver. If it changes channels, then it is a problem with the speaker. To determine which speaker component it is remove the grille cover and use a small pillow to cover the mid range driver and isolate the tweeter. If it sounds okay, raise the pillow and cover the tweeter and leave the driver exposed. By doing this you can narrow down where the problem is.
    I hope this is helpful information.
    Regards, Ken
  • logos424
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Thanks I will try switching the speakers around and see.
    Current Setup:
  • outlander
    outlander Posts: 218
    edited April 2005
    Options
    logos424,

The best way to check your tweeter is to remove it from the cabinet and connect it directly to your speaker wires. Run it at a low volume, if there’s a problem you’ll hear it for sure.

O