THE OTHERS made me jump!

Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited May 2002 in Music & Movies
Anyone see this yet (THE OTHERS)? It's your average haunted house flick, but it has a few really effective moments in it. And it has a really great sound design -- the surrounds are used VERY effectively to goose you off the couch! (And not overused, either, as soon as you get "comfortable" with the effect and expect it, it goes away).

Ron-P will love this film: Nicole Kidman is shot very well, and looks stunning.

What do you think? Compare this to THIRTEEN GHOSTS and let me know.

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by Micah Cohen on

Comments

• dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited May 2002
    No kidding! There was a scene towards the beginning where pounding footsteps moved from the right rear surround to the right front, and it scared the crap out of me. We had some backlighting on, but I'm guessing if I would heard that in the complete dark I would have had to check my shorts. Very convincing. Audio was great, movie was decent.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2002
    A very well-done movie, altho the final "explanation" for what is happening showed that the screenwriters borrowed a plot device that seems popular right now. Won't give it away, but if you saw a certain supernatural film a couple of yrs ago, you'll recognize the gimmick. This film depends on acting & atmosphere, & is a grown-up ghost story, not one of the usual group-of-teens-getting-snuffed-one-by-one-by-the-thing-that-cannot-die-because-we-need-a-sequel crap. For that reason alone, worth watching.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited May 2002
    i've heard from 2-3 friends that this movie was very predictable? is that so? i was thinking about giving it a rental, i might have to just for the soundtrack from what it 'sounds'...
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited May 2002
    Ron-P will love this film: Nicole Kidman is shot very well, and looks stunning.
    You hit the nail on the head Micah. Love it. The movie is VERY creepy, well done edge of your seat film. I'm about 3/4 of the way thru, hopefully finish it up tonight.

...and yes, Kidman looks fantastic. Almost as good as in Moulin Rouge.

Boo Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited May 2002
    I think you should try it, juice... your fx/1000's would dig it. This is a good movie to hear 'real' sound effects, since most of us don't (hopefully not) know what it really sounds like to be in the middle of an explosion, have bullets whiz by our heads, be on a sinking submarine, etc. Like when some movies have rain in the background, or something more familiar to us.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited May 2002
    thanks dylan, i will give it a shot. maybe i'll rent it this weekend actually, supposed to rain on and off all weekend...
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited May 2002
    That's a good point; that it's a good use of surrounds for sound info that we can actually judge the realism of, voices and stuff instead of explosions and bullets. It's really effective.

Man, some of the **** in this movie really got to me. I was turning on lights afterward, calling friends... Creeped OUT!

I wish I had that spoiler tag. I'd mention the... Damn!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited May 2002
    We watched it lastnight,
    I thought it was a well made film.The sound effects where really good.Dynamic's of the movies were fine.The twist at the end I thought was cool.And the Fathere thing I figured out right away.
    No Power no sunlight no visitors and the mail not being picked up where all dead givaways.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited May 2002
    nice movie..the DD sound on it was great..only bad thing was I had figured it out way before the "surprise" ending..still worth a watch or two
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited May 2002
    Creeped me out as well. I have all the neighbors coming over this Friday to watch, it's gonna be great.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.