help mounting center channel

mldennison
mldennison Posts: 307
edited May 2002 in Speakers
I recently bought a CS245i and need some advice on where to put it. Unfortunately I cannot mount it on the wall behind the TV so I would like to place it on top of the TV. However, the top is slightly slanted foward and the section it would be resting on is not very large so I am worried about it falling off. My friend has an Infinity center that has a device on the back of it to help prop up the back for this exact problem. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what you did to fix it. Any suggestions??
Post edited by mldennison on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited May 2002
    i have my cs400i mounted on an entertainment center, but i used rubber speaker feet to angle it down towards my listening position. you could probably use some rubber feet to help balance yours on the TV. if you are still concerned it might fall, can you place it on a stand in front of the TV? just a thought...

welcome to the forum...:D
  • alex12399
    alex12399 Posts: 14
    edited May 2002
    i had a similar problem when i had a smaller television than i do now. the way i solved it was by using velcro tape on the underside of the speaker connected with the top of the tv. you can buy black velcro almost anywhere just cut it to size. i used it on all four corners. rubber feet, such as the ones polk provides with their f/x 300i's, would work too. as far as the wall mounting goes, you actually would rather have the speaker flush with the front of the tv. as to have as little distortion possible. if the speaker was mounted behind the front edge if the tv. or on the wall, the sound waves could become distorted. good luck.
  • mldennison
    mldennison Posts: 307
    edited May 2002
    thanks guys for your input. i was thinking something along those lines, i guess if it worked for you, it will work for me. guess i am off to home depot to look for something.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2002
    i used the small feet that came with my center on the front and i got some larget ones for the back to angle the center down tward the listners you can do the same thing olny in reverse ir you can buld a shelf to rest your center on
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited May 2002
    I always admired Infinity's ability to "point" their center channels toward the listener.
    Wish Polk had a feature like that!;)
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2002
    my tv room sound system has a jlb sc305 witch has a slanted back so i put it on the floor and point it up tward the listner works great i would not have replaced it but i want my speakers timber matched
  • Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited May 2002
    Originally posted by mldennison
    I recently bought a CS245i and need some advice on where to put it. Unfortunately I cannot mount it on the wall behind the TV so I would like to place it on top of the TV. However, the top is slightly slanted foward and the section it would be resting on is not very large so I am worried about it falling off. My friend has an Infinity center that has a device on the back of it to help prop up the back for this exact problem. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what you did to fix it. Any suggestions??

Hi:

I've recently purchased a center speaker shelf similar to one of these for my CS400i (mine was a larger size):

Lovan Director - Center Channel Speaker Platform

Its made out of solid steel and sits on metal spikes to isolate vibrations from the speaker thereby reducing resonances in your TV cabinet. Metal disc inserts are also provided to protect the top of your TV from the spikes. It may be wise to use something like Blu-Tack to help anchor the discs to the TV, or with a slopping top surface you might even need to use something more substantial like superglue. The top of the shelf has small rubber discs to help hold the speaker to the stand, but you could also use Blu-Tack there as well for added insurance. The tilt on the shelf is only slightly adjustable, I added a rubber door stopper in the back to get more tilt. The top of my TV is very slick, but I have a lip on front that catches the front two discs to prevent the shelf/speaker assembly from sliding off the front of the TV. So far (knock wood) the rubber discs and door stop have provided ample friction to prevent the speaker from sliding off the shelf

Larry