Theater People!!!!!

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
edited May 2002 in Speakers
I want to know how many of you guy's use Inwalls for theater?
I'm not a real big fan of this setup but with the right speaker's and inwall treatments,you can have a good sounding theater without all the big black/wood boxes all over your room.
Piviting tweeter's and midrange can greatly help this out.
ANYBODY?????
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited May 2002
    Options
    No inwalls here, I have looked at these for the rears and sides, it is too hard to place stuff in my livingroom (bad bad mama says NO)
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I've done some whole-house audio installs, and heard a couple theater setups. The background music works well, I found the theater less than acceptable...of course they weren't great inwalls to start with. I think the actual house I heard with an in-wall theater was CSI or some such...

Blahhhh

I did audition the B&W and Polk inwalls, and they are pretty decent.... I can see them put to good use as rears, if you don't ever plan on changing the room around, or in a 'garage' rig....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited May 2002
    Options
    My only experience with them was in a rear speaker application in a Klipsch system. They sounded like crap. Here's a stellar review on the Theil surface mount speakers. They look kinda cool.

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    Options
    They are cool, I've heard em, and Thiel is damn-proud of them too....($$$$$)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Inwalls are tough,
    not easy at all.But the stealth......thats whats cool, no speaker's in the room ...very clean looking.
    Multiroom , inwalls are the way to go for background sound to enjoying listening at low volumes.
    I'm not a fan of inwalls but i have done some killer sounding theater's with all inwalls.When you use the same speaker all the way around the room, there is just about no quality difference in sound as it moves around the room.
    I'm considering the Alantic technology sytem 20THX for my new theater room14x24x9 height.
    Nobody in here seems to use the Polks inwalls at all.
    Dan
  • matthew_2
    matthew_2 Posts: 52
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I'm not sure why you would want in walls. You can't upgrade, and move your room around a all! If you decide you don't like he way they are placed, too bad because they are not going anywhere!
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Not true,
    you save the drywall cut out's and patch the wall.Repaint and your home free.Inwalls are made so you have NO boxes all over your living space.
    Pull your wire's out and rerun to new location.
    Dan
  • alex12399
    alex12399 Posts: 14
    edited May 2002
    Options
    hey i found this thread to be interesting because i've wondered about inwalls for a while. right now i dont own my home so it would be out of the question, but later on down the line.....? i've listened to inwalls one time at a friends house, they sounded very bad, but then again they were already in when he purchased the home. dont know the specs. or brand. the only comment i can say is that if inwalls are so great, then why dont expensive consumer theaters use them? no local theater i have ever been to in the L.A., CA. have them. They just have the visible ones on the sides and whatever centers they are running. :)
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I can answer that,
    Inwall speakers are designed so you don't have big box speakers all over your room.Its a seemless install.Some sound quality is lost, but that as much as you would think.For theater,They can sound really good.For music they fall off some.I don't care for inwalls for music listening unless for background music.Don't get me wrong, some inwalls sound almost as good as floor/bookshelves,but as usual,placement and install make all the difference in the world.
    Don't loose any faith on inwalls untill you have experienced them first hand in both kinds of systems.
    Dan
  • alex12399
    alex12399 Posts: 14
    edited May 2002
    Options
    yes i guess your're right. now that my home theater is set up in our living room, my girlfriend and i are involved in constant discussions about having speakers everywhere. wait until she sees the possibilities i have in store for our HT system in years to come. the possibilities of 8.1 thx or some other exotic set-up not yet readily availible for the consumer market! inwalls may put an end to some of her drama.:lol:
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    Options
    In walls tend to limit your flexability though. Yeah, you can move them but it's a pain in the **** and the ones I have heard all suck in various degrees. I seriously doubt that any ever does really move them......Done right, standard speakers can be asthetically pleasing as well......I say if you don't have the room or whatever for conventional speakers, go with a good 2ch setup. Good 2ch is generally better than half assed multi channel. Just my opinion.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    Options
    To hear what inwalls sound like in theater may suprise you.
    They aren't as bad as you might think.I have installed thousands of pairs and some with great success.
    This is a good case for the guy up above, the woman doesn't want all these speakers all over the room, no gear,wire or anything.This is one motivation I had to build a stand alone theater in the basement.She doesn't want all this in her room.I can see why.
    guys mostly this is a guys hobbie,some girls get into it less than more.So why fight with them.If your not a music and theater phile,then use the finest inwalls you can find, and have a good experience right in the same room, mostly the family room.
    It's just a great option.
    Dan
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2002
    Options
    i bult a ht and that is all the room is used for now if i wanted to put this in a main room that it dident fit in i would think of using in walls but first i would get some regulsr speakers that would sound close to what the in walls sound like to get the placement right caues i hate patching drywall the muding is the part i hate the most of counstructon