Opinions on KEF?

Options
MSkeezer
MSkeezer Posts: 1,183
edited April 2005 in Speakers
I just snagged a KEF Q6C on Ebay for only $125. I've listened to the tiny egg speakers at Ultimate Electronics and thought they sounded very good, especially for their size. The design is particuarly striking, to me, at least, and the maple finish is just purdy.

I read a couple of reviews for the Q system, which consist of said center(sorry, just always wanted to use that phrase lol), and both of the reviewers had nothing but praise. Anyone else here ever listen to the Q's, or any other KEF's? I think I got a pretty good deal. What do you guys think?
Post edited by MSkeezer on

Comments

• jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Nice snag MSkeezer!! You will find the point source Q Kef's are very focused for vocals. I just received my reference Q’s for my basement theater. I still have my Polks upstairs, but the Ref's are absolutely the best sounding speakers I have ever owned.

My Kef's consist of the 205 tower fronts, 204c Center, Q2ds side speakers, 201's on stands for the rear and a psw4000 for the sub. I will post more pics as soon as I receive the rest of my setup.
    kef.jpg 81.8K
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I've been recently educating myself on the "new" KEF, as I had alot of knowledge of the old KEF of the early/mid 80's. The old KEF was very impressive, and from what I'm seeing so far, that hasn't changed.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I prefer the vintage Kef over the current lineup.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I have been using a Kef 30b sub for about 5 months. It sounds great for music. The Kefs look as good as they sound too!
    I have been watching the Ultimate Electronics stores here in Dallas for deals as the store closing dates get closer.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I like Kef of today and of the past. I find there speakers to be enjoyable to listen to. Q's are very nice.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • jrausch
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Zero,

I'm currently using Parasound's 5/ch gear along with a Monster 2/ch amp with upgrades to the new HALO stuff on the drawing board. Pending my employment with ultimate. My theater room still needs seating and decorations. keep your fingers crossed for me as I will know my outcome by Friday. ;)

sucks2beme: The Dallas store is up for auction on the 15th with the final outcome to be posted on the 20th. I'm not sure how the liquidators will dispense the inventory. If you have something in mind perhaps I can try and check stock in the Dallas locations if you really have something you wish to purchase.

Here's a shot of the KEF's Neked. The sound is seamless as the sound moves around the room. High detail and focused imaging are KEF's biggest forte. You can hear a mouse **** in a movie with these guys.
  • jrausch
    edited April 2005
    Options
    1 more time.
  • MSkeezer
    MSkeezer Posts: 1,183
    edited April 2005
    Options
    The gentleman I'm buying it from lives in NC, and I'll be driving through his town on the way down to Fayetteville. He says I'm more than welcome to pick it up on the way, or on my way back. That'll save me $25 on shipping. I had originally planned on selling the RTi70's, and getting maybe another pair of 28's, or even the 38's, and moving them to the bedroom. I wanted to buy maybe an HK130. Circuit City had one for $220 open box. I love the HK330 too much to move it the bedroom lol. I was going to put the KEF's in the main listening room. I found a pair of Q15's for cheap, and I wanted to use them as surrounds. But, seeing as how plans changed, I'm just going to get them as my mains for now, and hold off on the surrounds. In a few months maybe, I'll be able to get some better mains, and put them in the back.

How well are the Coda's, or the Cresta's when it comes to tembre matching? They don't use the UniQ design, so will they stand out too bad when combined with the Q's? I've been seeing a lot of speakers from both lineups on Ebay for not a lot of money.

Nice, nice setup jrausch. I think those are the ones I listened to at Ultimate Electronics not too long ago with Yamaha's flagship receiver. They may not be the exact same models, but pretty close. They sounded sweet. The detail and clarity was just astounding.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2005
    Options
    how the hell did you get the big **** center to stay on top of a DLP?
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2005
    Options
    dude. that center is larger than your mains ;)

nice set up. those look really sweet.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • jrausch
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Danger: I used reinforced white enamel steel brackets mounted to the center of the studs with lag bolts (gotta love these new stud finders :D ) and a 1.5"x48"x18" shelf mounted atop the brackets. It’s designed to hold your power tools in a garage setting. The center weighs in @ 78lbs and the shelf system is rated to hold up to 300. The rear of the center is then lifted with the supplied 3" rubber cones to gently point the speaker down. Let's just say there's no chance in hell you won't hear what is being said during the movie. It will also smack you in the face should you start to fall asleep during a bad one. :p
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Those puppies set you back some serious coin. Very nice.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2