Listening chair acoustics?

Options
Aaron
Aaron Posts: 1,853
edited April 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Have you ever compared the sound of your system using a low back listening chair vs. a high back chair? While I haven't experimented too much with this, my general observation is that the low back chair provides better sound, because you heard more reflected sound. For someone that sits close to a back wall, perhaps a high back chair would serve to improve things.

Aaron
Post edited by Aaron on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I can tell you first hand that a high back wing chair is no good.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I can definitely see where that would have an impact. My favorite listening position is actually standing behind my couch. Our house has a "Great Room" so the couch actually divides the family room from the dining room. There's about 14 feet behind the couch.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2005
    Options
    man you guys got it bad....
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited April 2005
    Options
    There's no question in my mind, be it home theater or two-channel, but especially in home theater application, that a low back chair is the only way to go. I've sawed off more than a couple of the upper back portions of my chairs in my home, and with fantastic results. The key is not to get so frustrated with a high backed chair that you get up in the middle of movie and whip it across the room (I've done it), but to come up with a reasonable solution (again, with the help of my saw I've done it).

In fact arm rests can be a problem, too, as they'll tend to force my shoulders to bunch up towards my ears. Needless to say, I've used the saw to remedy that problem with some of my chairs also.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2005
    Options
    maybe you should saw off your arms to prevent reflections from your shoulders....
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I have a high back chair, and years ago I determined it sounded a lot better if I leaned forward rather than sit with my back right up against it. Then again, leaning forward is also putting one more into the near-field.

To me, it sounds better and that's how I listen.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Agreed, low back chair is the only way to go........

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I prefer to sit on a 3-leg camping chair, in the 'Lotus' position....and of course naked.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Personally, I like the way clothes dampen the reflections off my hard body.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,058
    edited April 2005
    Options
    All my furniture is lowback due to I have found this out years ago.

Watching movies with the surrounds muffled due to a highback chair or couch just sucks.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited April 2005
    Options
    While lowback chair is preferred, the fabric covering the chair should be carefully considered. For my particular room, no leather....too much reflection. And of course, eyeglasses must be off during listening sessions. Otherwise, the benefits of the cloth-covered lowback chair would be defeated.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Danny Tse
    And of course, eyeglasses must be off during listening sessions.

Glasses off, and lights down for me too.

I have also found that high-backed heavily upholstered furniture works well for seating locations right up against the back wall in my house. It seems to lift the soundstage up a couple of feet for some reason.
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited April 2005
    Options
    for me, first it has to have wheels. things get old fast for me if i can't roll with the sweetspot. next it's gotta recline, and there isn't much to reclining without a headrest.

i'll admit though, i ~have~ given some thought to a chair with with a narrower headrest and remote controlled sweetspot surfing...

)
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by scottnbnj
    for me, first it has to have wheels. things get old fast for me if i can't roll with the sweetspot.

Yes, wheels. My previous listening "chair" was an ottoman with wheels/casters.