rear center channel suggestion needed

dlew308
dlew308 Posts: 530
edited May 2002 in Speakers
Wow the forum changed after I posted this is the other category <g>

I have the RM7500 with PSW450.
My new yamaha rx-v1200 is coming! I need
a rear center. There's not much space as it will go right behind the couch.
Post edited by dlew308 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    I would get the cs245(i). Run a comparison and see which one you like up front, it or the rm7500 center....throw the lesser of the 2 to the rear.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dlew308
    edited April 2002
    what stand would you recommend for the rear center or should i just go with a slim table behind the couch?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    Man, thats a tough call without seeing your setup in person. The Polk store sells some good entry-level Sanus stands (in pairs).

You can check partsexpress.com and audioadvisor.com for some other options, and pricing on some 'single' stands.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2002
    i have some cheap speakers like the ones that come with the cheap ht in a box for 200bucks i gave my free r10 to my parents so i took these home with me they are cheap
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    NO room for a surround back speaker??
    Try this trick,sit the centerchannel behind your couch and fire it up towards the ceiling.No stand required.This will give you a spacious sound.Full as well, but check this out,not much is going to come from that channel anyway, Don't sweat it if you can't get it to go.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • dlew308
    edited April 2002
    I bought a narrow table for behind the couch.
    I replaced my RM7500 rears with the F/X300i.
    Should I just use one of the rears for the center or perhaps the $77 CS175i from Fry's?
  • atrain
    atrain Posts: 4
    edited April 2002
    I am gonna claim ignorance... I have never heard of a rear center channel. What purpose does it serve?
  • dlew308
    edited April 2002
    For 6.1 systems. Normally you'd have a 5.1 setup, 1 center, 2 mains, 2 surrounds, 1 sub. 6.1 adds another channel, rear center. Then there's 7.1 & 8.1....etc etc
    There's not many movies in 6.1 yet, but movies like Gladiator are DTS ES 6.1 :)
  • atrain
    atrain Posts: 4
    edited April 2002
    Excellent, Thanks for the info
  • Dreamnevil
    Dreamnevil Posts: 7
    edited May 2002
    Had the same question not too long ago, found that the peeps here guided me on the right path. I ended up purchasing the cs245i for the rear center. I also had a "where to put another speaker" problem and came up with this idea.

I mounted the cs245i on the ceiling with a pair or swivel brackets modified for aiming the speaker 45 deg @ the wall directly behind the veiwing area. it bounces the sound off the wall and blends with the f/x300's quite well. I don't know if this helps, but it's an option....

~Dreamnevil~
    :D
  • dlew308
    edited May 2002
    I went and bought a small table that fits begind the couch nicely. I replaced my rears (RM7500) with the f/x300i and put one of the newly spare rears as the rear center for now.
  • aaburto99
    aaburto99 Posts: 17
    edited May 2002
    Dreamnevil, what brackets did you use? Did you use the Omnimount ones suggested by Polk? Seem kind of expensive to me.
  • Dreamnevil
    edited May 2002
    I used a pair TV brackets that was purchased through C.C. that I modified to work with the CS245i. It took a little while but it's worth it. I didn't want to drill holes into the speaker so I had to use something else. That worked for me, and it looks OK..

heheheh

:D~Dreamnevil~:D
  • jeberhart
    jeberhart Posts: 69
    edited May 2002
    Along these same lines: My Denon 3801 is 7.1-channel capable, so I'm running L,R,C, sub, 2 surrounds, 2 REAR surrounds -- but are there any 7.1 movies out there yet, especially DTS? I haven't seen any.
  • Dreamnevil
    edited May 2002
    I have been wondering if there are any 7.1 movies out there too! I keep searching but have yet to see it, I guess it's a little ahead of it's time huh?

If ya happen to find one, post it so I can rent it too!