Dimple in RT 5 woofer cone

Options
lupodwdm
lupodwdm Posts: 29
edited March 2005 in Troubleshooting
I have a pair of RT5's that I listen to every day and they still sound great. Unfortunatly, about a year ago when I was upgrading the internal wiring of the speaker, I got a little too close to one of the cones with the iron and it created a heat dimple with a small oval shapped perferation (about the size/shape of a grain of rice).

What effect would this have on the performance of the speaker itself? I can not hear the difference from before the dimple to now. Should I spend the money to replace the driver?
Post edited by lupodwdm on

Comments

• okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

You have a very nice set of speakers there. I had the RT5's for 6 years and enjoyed every minute of them.

The way you stated your problem, it doesn't seem like you need to replace your woofer. If you can't hear any difference from the other woofer, it is probably fine.
    If you listen to them a lot, there is a possibility that over time, the dimple may weaken and cause a hole. If that happens, I would replace the driver.
    If you are affraid this might happen, go ahead and order a replacement while Polk still has them in stock. They tend to run out of some of the older drivers.

Keep enjoying your speaks.

Zach
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,100
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Man...

If you had an 'iron' that close to the woofer, to cause the dust cap to crease or anything like that...

There is a high chance the cone itself was affected - unless..you poked the speaker with an iron...

"Branding It" if you will...

Maybe it had wrinkles...

If you dont hear a difference, dont worry...

Just make sure the rim of the dust cap isnt coming off or anything
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.